Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Issues - Chrysler Denied Warranty - Help!

Thompsre08

Reaction score
It's not about you, Ops warranty is denied.
Didn’t say it was about me??? Take a breath. Not all dealership systems are linked to share data so it would be worth a shot to clear the code and see what happens with a 3rd dealer assuming all 3 are not part of the same franchise

MtnRider

Reaction score
Not all dealership systems are linked to share data so it would be worth a shot to clear the code and see what happens with a 3rd dealer assuming all 3 are not part of the same franchise

They are all linked to the mother ship , it's not a franchise thing at all. Any big dollar repair like that goes up the chain to Ram for the decision, the dealer is just passing on what they said. The dealer didn't black ball them, big brother Ram did.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
They are all linked to the mother ship , it's not a franchise thing at all. Any big dollar repair like that goes up the chain to Ram for the decision, the dealer is just passing on what they said. The dealer didn't black ball them, big brother Ram did.

Is that because of the “black balled” status? I have yet to see two dealers that share any maintenance or warranty information other than what may be reported to carfax. Just asking because it seems like ram has a hard enough time coordinating parts availability for general maintenance and simple recalls but has enough organization to black ball someone’s vin number?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I agree.. gotta keep searching for a dealer who is willing to put in the work and do the right thing by this customer.

OP, any friends who own or manage a car dealer? Doesn't matter the brand... if so, there is a good chance they know someone at a Ram dealer who may be able to help.

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
I'm just saying it's not stock. I hope they don't use that fact to deny your warranty claim.
Hadn't thought of that. The only reason our wheels/tires aren't stock is because when we ordered the truck to be built they never asked us our preference. After receipt of the truck, I called the local dealership and asked why the truck came from the factory with bitty tires and wheels. The commercial sales guy told me "I ordered it that way to keep the costs low for you." I absolutely told the sales guy what we do, and what we would be pulling/hauling, and while cost is always an issue, we never go with the "cheapest" solely based on cost. We buy what we need to get the job done and often it's kind of the middle of the road. We are a geotechnical engineering firm and this truck was purchased to tow a trailer with equipment on it. We are often in the woods, sand, etc., and needed a wider tire so that it wouldn't sink and get stuck too easily. After decades of Chevy purchases, this was the only time we had to immediately buy new tires AND wheels because the factory ones looked like pizza cutters. In fact, this is the only time we have ever had to upgrade the wheels to accommodate a more suitable tire size. Usually, when the tires are ready to be replaced we will just put on a slightly beefier tire, but had to do the wheels this time too.

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, so much for your feedback. I'll try the 3rd dealer on Wednesday and let you know how it goes!

Diesel Pusher

Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 2500 diesel for my business, new from the plant. The truck only has 14k miles on it right now. Within the first few months there was a transmission issue, we took it to local dealership, and it was fixed under warranty (after many, many months due to the nationwide part list shortages). Once we got it back, again, within a few months we were having transmission issues. Took it to same dealership and they said that it was throwing a code that said the truck transmission had been "overused" due to towing a load too heavy for the vehicle. I know that we definitely did not ever have the truck/trailer overweight/overcapacity. The dealership then told us we need a new transmission for $15k because Chrysler denied the warranty claim. The dealership was no help. I did call the Chrysler customer advocacy line and was told to take it to a second dealership in the next town over. When I took the truck there the second dealership said there was nothing they could do as the truck was now basically black-listed for the denial and turned us away without looking at it.

I see all over the internet many issues with that transmission, in that year/model so we aren't the only ones. I can't find an attorney who will help with a denied warranty claim that is knowledgeable as we are not a direct consumer, it was a B2B transaction.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or what to do before we lose $15k replacing something that Chrysler should be covering under warranty?
Try Calling Dodge Customer Care at 1 800 423-6343. Tell them you need a case number and what happened. Make sure you write the case number down so that you can always reference it when you check on the decision. I feel for ya. If you look at "What do I tow?" on this forum you will see what I tow. I live in Calif and I had a transmission issue as well while I was towing. My transmission pump went out. It has under 11000 miles on it. I had it towed to the dealership (under warranty) and to fix it they disconnect the battery. When it was fixed, I went to pick it up and drove it to get a certified smog check because my registration wqs due. Well, the monitors were not ready and would not reset. It gave codes DPF and MCC. It was all caused when they disconnected the battery which takes power from the PCM. I called the dealership and was told I needed to drive it and it will automatically reset. So, I hooked up my 5th wheel and headed to flagstaff AZ. I put a round trip of 1500 miles. Guess what? Monitors still did not reset. I called the dealership again and was told keep driving it. I said no, it's not resetting even after 1500 miles so I am driving it back to you the dealership so you can reset it. I had told them to get the Dodge engineering involved and they will tell you what needs to be done. It might be a forced regen or a certain drive pattern. Instead after 2 weeks they drove it another 600 miles and told it wasn't resetting and they will get Dodge Engineering involved. They told them to Force regen and then drive it. Well, that worked. In the meantime, I had to get a 60-day extension on my registration that cost me $30 to include the full registration fee. And because I used an ATM card was charged another $21. It all totaled to $978. But remember I only have 60 days to get it to comply with California emission standards or I have to wait another year to get it re-registered. Now the Dealership finally reset the monitors after doing what Dodge engineering advised them to do. When I went to pick it up, I was charged for all the fuel they used while they drove it. I had a problem with that because they caused me all these issues. I went there for a transmission problem not emissions issues, but this is what I got. So, I called Dodge Customer Care and am currently in the process of getting reimbursed the fuel and registration fees they caused. I think Dodge had better come up with a permanent fix for their 68RFE transmission problems and dealerships had better treat their customers with a lot more respect. So, with all that said, when your battery is disconnected, double check your PCM for monitor codes. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

phatboy64

Reaction score
Looks like you do have bigger tires on it? But as you say, there are always outliers, no matter the tranny. I read of very few issues with the 68rfe in 5th gen trucks on the forums.

You put a lot of miles on! My 22 2500 Mega Cummins only has 7K on it, so I'm at the opposite side of that scale.

Would be nice to get more info from the OP though.
I dont think bigger tires are the issue. I would say the 95% of the factory authorized lifted trucks (Black Widow, Ricky Ridge….) are 2500’s and they run 35/37’s with stock gears and are covered under the factory warranty . I would think that if stellantis thought the 68rfe couldn’t handle it they wouldn’t be selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread