Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Baneodin47

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 tradesman in December with 4:10 gears and dealership said it can tow 17,000 with the setup. I haven’t towed anything yet so I can’t say but I’m looking forward to it.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 tradesman in December with 4:10 gears and dealership said it can tow 17,000 with the setup. I haven’t towed anything yet so I can’t say but I’m looking forward to it.
Anything to report?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Same setup I have. I'm running leveled and 35's. Came from diesels. Towed 10k plus all over the rockies with great performance. No complaints. Planning 10mpg pulling, give or take. I put an in depth review on here previously. But it's a little wordy.

Ram HD

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to tow with the new 2019 gasser? I am looking at upgrading to a 2500 soon to tow a TT. The trailer we are looking at has a GVWR of 10500lbs. I was wondering how the previous gassers handled that much weight, and how much better the new 19s would be with the 8 speed trans. Would I be hurting myself taking the discounts on an 18? What are your thoughts???
Just got back from a run with my 2020 Ram and she handled it like a dream. I am pulling a fifth wheel with a weight of roughly 14500. My truck is the 6.4 w/ 4:10 gears. Went from the low country of SC to Lake Cumberland, Ky, and back. Had to deal with pulling through the smokies and she pulled like a champ. Now, she does like to drink, really long drinks when going up those 6% grades but I have no complaints. The temps all stayed within range. I had to make one emergency stop and she was able to handle the sudden braking smoothly and in control.
I actually wrestled with the decision of a dually or single axle, Cummings or gasser. With my weight, I could not justify losing more payload just to have another diesel, plus the lower cost of fuel make it a no-brainer.
I believe the 19s and the 20 models share the same engine and tranny combo for the gassers, so if that is the case; then as I have experienced they will handle your weight great. Discounts?? Not aware of discounts or anything related to that, nor can I comment on that aspect. Happy Trails and great pulling.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Just got back from a run with my 2020 Ram and she handled it like a dream. I am pulling a fifth wheel with a weight of roughly 14500. My truck is the 6.4 w/ 4:10 gears. Went from the low country of SC to Lake Cumberland, Ky, and back. Had to deal with pulling through the smokies and she pulled like a champ. Now, she does like to drink, really long drinks when going up those 6% grades but I have no complaints. The temps all stayed within range. I had to make one emergency stop and she was able to handle the sudden braking smoothly and in control.
I actually wrestled with the decision of a dually or single axle, Cummings or gasser. With my weight, I could not justify losing more payload just to have another diesel, plus the lower cost of fuel make it a no-brainer.
I believe the 19s and the 20 models share the same engine and tranny combo for the gassers, so if that is the case; then as I have experienced they will handle your weight great. Discounts?? Not aware of discounts or anything related to that, nor can I comment on that aspect. Happy Trails and great pulling.
Mpg? What speeds were you towing? What octane?

Firebird

Reaction score
Excellent report, I love hearing stories like this!

Nuke1

Reaction score
2021 Tradesman 6.4L/8spd/3.73. 2017 Coachman Chaparral 295bhs. Trailer is just under 36', 11000 lbs loaded with 1750 lb pin weight. Just got back from a 350 mile round trip from central Nebraska up to South Dakota, pretty hilly drive and was bucking a 30 mph wind on the way home and averaged 10.5 mpg running 69 mph. Empty running 69-70 I average 16 - 18 mpg. The average according to the computer since I bought it is 13.9 overall and sitting at about 2800 miles right now. Has 3.73 in the rear and so far I'm really happy with it. I traded in a 2019 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax so I was a little worried about going back to a gasser but all the research I did led me to the 6.4 Ram and everything I read seems to be true so far. The 8 speed tranny is smooth as silk and the power really surprised me when I first hooked up to the camper. I had a 2013 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gasser before the Duramax so that's kind of what I was expecting. The 6.4 is on a completely different level than the 6.0 GM. So far it's hands down the best gas powered HD truck I've ever had, and I've had quite a few of them over the years Ford, Chevy and Dodge/Ram.20210519_195408.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
2021 Tradesman 6.4L/8spd/3.73. 2017 Coachman Chaparral 295bhs. Trailer is just under 36', 11000 lbs loaded with 1750 lb pin weight. Just got back from a 350 mile round trip from central Nebraska up to South Dakota, pretty hilly drive and was bucking a 30 mph wind on the way home and averaged 10.5 mpg running 69 mph. Empty running 69-70 I average 16 - 18 mpg. The average according to the computer since I bought it is 13.9 overall and sitting at about 2800 miles right now. Has 3.73 in the rear and so far I'm really happy with it. I traded in a 2019 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax so I was a little worried about going back to a gasser but all the research I did led me to the 6.4 Ram and everything I read seems to be true so far. The 8 speed tranny is smooth as silk and the power really surprised me when I first hooked up to the camper. I had a 2013 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gasser before the Duramax so that's kind of what I was expecting. The 6.4 is on a completely different level than the 6.0 GM. So far it's hands down the best gas powered HD truck I've ever had, and I've had quite a few of them over the years Ford, Chevy and Dodge/Ram.View attachment 17125
Unbelievable fuel mileage!

whitexc

Reaction score
Unbelievable fuel mileage!
Like literally...unbelievable. I'm sure he's right but my pig was drinkin it up this weekend pulling our TT that seems to be about half what his combo is. Thanks for the breakdown and glad the truck works for you. I am happy with the way ours towed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Like literally...unbelievable. I'm sure he's right but my pig was drinkin it up this weekend pulling our TT that seems to be about half what his combo is. Thanks for the breakdown and glad the truck works for you. I am happy with the way ours towed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
No offence to nuke 1. But you can stand on a dime and see across Nebraska. The black hills are only hills. Just keep that in mind, that trip is pretty best case scenario mpg wise. I've seen 8 pulling through the rockies. I also have no complaints though. It performs great.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Apples to Oranges here but the best I've ever gotten towing a 7k TT @65mph max was 9.3mpg hand calculated, once. That's with a 2020 F250 7.3 w a 10speed and 3.55 rear end.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
A couple of questions for you all while doing my research. Do you have blind spot monitoring? Is this something you wish you had if you don’t?

Mike

Firebird

Reaction score
A couple of questions for you all while doing my research. Do you have blind spot monitoring? Is this something you wish you had if you don’t?

Mike
My truck does not have it, my Durango RT does. Haven't really missed it in the truck.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
2021 Tradesman 6.4L/8spd/3.73. 2017 Coachman Chaparral 295bhs. Trailer is just under 36', 11000 lbs loaded with 1750 lb pin weight. Just got back from a 350 mile round trip from central Nebraska up to South Dakota, pretty hilly drive and was bucking a 30 mph wind on the way home and averaged 10.5 mpg running 69 mph. Empty running 69-70 I average 16 - 18 mpg. The average according to the computer since I bought it is 13.9 overall and sitting at about 2800 miles right now. Has 3.73 in the rear and so far I'm really happy with it. I traded in a 2019 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax so I was a little worried about going back to a gasser but all the research I did led me to the 6.4 Ram and everything I read seems to be true so far. The 8 speed tranny is smooth as silk and the power really surprised me when I first hooked up to the camper. I had a 2013 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gasser before the Duramax so that's kind of what I was expecting. The 6.4 is on a completely different level than the 6.0 GM. So far it's hands down the best gas powered HD truck I've ever had, and I've had quite a few of them over the years Ford, Chevy and Dodge/Ram.

10.5 mpg, towing 11k lbs at 69 mph up hill into a 30mph head wind has to be some kind of record. Amazing!

I dont know of any diesels that can acheive that and you did it with gas and 3.73s.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
10.5 mpg, towing 11k lbs at 69 mph up hill into a 30mph head wind has to be some kind of record. Amazing!

I dont know of any diesels that can acheive that and you did it with gas and 3.73s.
Because a HEMI with 8 speed! Duh bro!!! :rolleyes:
Wish I got a hemi...

Firebird

Reaction score

Best I've gotten in a stiff head wind pulling my 9000 pounds is 8.4 mpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Best I've gotten in a stiff head wind pulling my 9000 pounds is 8.4 mpg

Is that on your display or hand calculated? You have the perfect truck for your trailer IMO.

The diesels dont do much better... mid 9s has been my experience with 12-14k lbs or so.

Firebird

Reaction score
Is that on your display or hand calculated? You have the perfect truck for your trailer IMO.

The diesels dont do much better... mid 9s has been my experience with 12-14k lbs or so.
I too can get into the 9's if all flat and no head winds. I'm in Florida, so our roads are easy to tow on

Users who are viewing this thread