Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Aside from the obscured view in the rearview mirror, can u even tell if that little thing is behind you?

LOL... it makes a hell of a racket while empty, but once it was loaded up I couldn't really tell it was back there.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
LOL... it makes a hell of a racket while empty, but once it was loaded up I couldn't really tell it was back there.
Gondul,
Are we going to see an Airstream behind that new 2500 soon?
*My DW liked your spawn reference. We’re finally empty nesters again after the oldest and his wife found a new house after selling theirs in a week and living with us for 11 months. Hint: you think they’re gone but they’ll be back!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Gondul,
Are we going to see an Airstream behind that new 2500 soon?
*My DW liked your spawn reference. We’re finally empty nesters again after the oldest and his wife found a new house after selling theirs in a week and living with us for 11 months. Hint: you think they’re gone but they’ll be back!

Likely not as soon as I would like, but we shall see... retirement proper isn't too far away!
The youngest has been gone for a bit... this is the older one who is finally moving on.

BillnLA

Reaction score
New member here. Week old 2019 2500 4x4 Big Horn with the 6.4L and 3.73 gear ratio. Took it out this morning to start the "break-in" towing. Made a loop of 103 miles. From computer, 10.4 mpg avg. This was combination of level and hilly areas , and two lane/interstate. About half in tow/haul mode and half in D just to see the difference. In D pulled level at 50 mph in 7th gear, shifting down to 6th and 5th to negotiate the hills. In tow/haul mode didn't come out of 6th gear except on hills. Bumper pull TT with 12000 lb Equalizer hitch. Gross weight rating for trailer is 8995, dry 6932. Running with all of our gear loaded except food and clothes. Probably in the above 8000 range. Tongue weight close to 1K. Really satisfied with the performance, coming from towing this same rig with wife's '19 1500 Laramie. No sway or feeling the large trucks passing on the interstate

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
New member here. Week old 2019 2500 4x4 Big Horn with the 6.4L and 3.73 gear ratio. Took it out this morning to start the "break-in" towing. Made a loop of 103 miles. From computer, 10.4 mpg avg. This was combination of level and hilly areas , and two lane/interstate. About half in tow/haul mode and half in D just to see the difference. In D pulled level at 50 mph in 7th gear, shifting down to 6th and 5th to negotiate the hills. In tow/haul mode didn't come out of 6th gear except on hills. Bumper pull TT with 12000 lb Equalizer hitch. Gross weight rating for trailer is 8995, dry 6932. Running with all of our gear loaded except food and clothes. Probably in the above 8000 range. Tongue weight close to 1K. Really satisfied with the performance, coming from towing this same rig with wife's '19 1500 Laramie. No sway or feeling the large trucks passing on the interstate
BillnLA,
Thanks for sharing your real world experience with your 2500 Big Horn 6.4L! We’v also got ‘19 Ram 1500 and a TT similar in size and looking to upgrade to the 2500. Was on the fence about gas vs. diesel but your post makes me feel better about sticking with gas.
By the way, my Ram 1500 manual said to avoid towing for the first 500 miles; not exactly sure why but maybe to allow rings and bearings to wear in without a load.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Likely not as soon as I would like, but we shall see... retirement proper isn't too far away!
The youngest has been gone for a bit... this is the older one who is finally moving on.
Ha! Right there with ya on the retirement proper :)

You need to get this free app - puts a smile on my face when having a long day at work.

Attachments

• 828345A5-DEC1-4F26-AB10-D2CFFD12E96E.jpeg
    828345A5-DEC1-4F26-AB10-D2CFFD12E96E.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 78

ShaunHicks

Reaction score
The 6.4L SRT engine is available on the Dodge Charger and Challenger lineups. This engine produces 485 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque and helps the Dodge Charger to accelerate from 0-60 mph in the low four-second range and hit a top speed of 182 mph

tow truck near me

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
The 6.4L SRT engine is available on the Dodge Charger and Challenger lineups. This engine produces 485 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque and helps the Dodge Charger to accelerate from 0-60 mph in the low four-second range and hit a top speed of 182 mph

tow truck near me
Now if only FCA would offer that in the HD trucks... more smiles per mile!

eaukland_7

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing some more discussion on 3.73 vs. 4.10 with the new 8 spd. Looks like we have some actual reporting on the 3.73 and much more favorable towing results than the 6 spd. Obviously 4.10 should be great for towing, but any other advantages other than approx. 2500lb more tow capacity? Anyone towing with it yet? How much sacrifice in mileage? This is my only remaining decision to make...having a tough time with it. I'm planning on a 2500 Laramie Crew Cab, 6'4" bed. Daily Driver (3x per week)/Family Weekend Trips/Tow heavy (15K) about once a month.

I just pulled my fifth wheel 14,000 lbs roughly 22,000 gcvw. 250 miles over the weekend in Wisconsin. Not completely flat, there is rolling hills. I did 60 mph on cruise control the whole trip. And I averaged exactly 9mpg. My truck has 4.10 gears and only springs for suspension ride was very comfortable and I barley noticed it was back there. Even on cruise control going up a hill it never down shifted below 6th and I never found it to be screaming to the point where I wanted to turn cruise control off.

Motoman501

Reaction score

I finally got my 500 miles so I could start the break in tow. I have 3.73 gears and the trailer sticker claims about 6400lbs dry. Around town the truck was great in handling, braking and acceleration. I did climb one hill which is pretty steep but only about 3-4 miles long. Halfway up there is a stoplight which I of course got stuck at. Acceleration was smooth and steady until I backed out at 55 mph and if I recall the rpms were around 3300 at that speed. The climbing performance is quite a bit different than my Cummins was but I was expecting that. The computer said I got around 10.2 mpg for the nearly 100 miles of mostly flat terrain. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how the truck performed. It isn't a Cummins, but for the 5-6 times I tow per year it will do a great job.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score

tow truck near me

I have one of these. It has one serious issue though.....periodically, there is a strong order of burning rubber in the interior. I hope they can figure out what causes that!

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
I'll bet when you smell burning rubber you can barely hear the radio as well. Must be related? But, on the plus side, if you look in the mirror you see a smile from ear to ear :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread