Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

pizzatots

Reaction score
Here's our trailer. Likely overkill for the size, but the plan was to have dirt bikes in the bed when taking the trailer out... Id always rather have plenty of runway rather than be close to the limits.

IMG_5373 2.jpg

btw: looks like the jack is down on the trailer, but its floating a few inches up :)

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Don’t know that I ever posted in this thread but here’s my current setup,
2022 GD 278BH 150 Series. Max weight loaded out is right around 10k, pin is 1,700 lbs. truck sits level and pulls nicely, I can pass anything but a gas station ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpeg
    IMG_2481.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42

Redfour5

Reaction score
Power Wagons are weird. Only one thing wrecks their towing. LOTS of people over just fine. Not a regulat
Don’t know that I ever posted in this thread but here’s my current setup,
2022 GD 278BH 150 Series. Max weight loaded out is right around 10k, pin is 1,700 lbs. truck sits level and pulls nicely, I can pass anything but a gas station ;)
Just about what I'm willing to tow with mine. You still have around 4 or 5K max tow left and around 800 lbs give or take payload. That is about perfect. NOW, finding a fiver under 30 feet bunkhouse with private bunk area is another story. Wife wants us right back where we were when we had a 1500 with the present trailer... The 30 feet max or less is to maintain access to the approximately 35% of the campsites in the US that are strictly 30 feet or less in size... So far, this fact has kept her from getting a fiver... Oh wait, has kept me from getting a fiver...

And total agreement on passing anything but a gas station. I wish I had the bigger tank. I love the hard runs where the yellow light comes on with a third of a tank of gas left...NOT...

Firebird

Reaction score
And total agreement on passing anything but a gas station. I wish I had the bigger tank. I love the hard runs where the yellow light comes on with a third of a tank of gas left...NOT...
My 6.4 with 4.10 gears loved the gas stations! When towing, I had to find a station starting at around 200 miles!

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Just about what I'm willing to tow with mine. You still have around 4 or 5K max tow left and around 800 lbs give or take payload. That is about perfect. NOW, finding a fiver under 30 feet bunkhouse with private bunk area is another story. Wife wants us right back where we were when we had a 1500 with the present trailer... The 30 feet max or less is to maintain access to the approximately 35% of the campsites in the US that are strictly 30 feet or less in size... So far, this fact has kept her from getting a fiver... Oh wait, has kept me from getting a fiver...
I agree, it’s just about perfect. I’m right at 7-800 lbs of remaining payload depending on how much the wife and kiddos bring (3 girls)! Not sure there’s a 5ver out there with a private bunk under 30’, ours has a private bunk, measures 33’11” stem to stern.

pizzatots

Reaction score
To be bent backward by the first uneven driveway you turn into!
I always take a quick photo when picking up from storage for insurance purposes. I definitely don’t drive with that baby down.

Dave01

Reaction score
I always take a quick photo when picking up from storage for insurance purposes. I definitely don’t drive with that baby down.
I should have added to my post ..... I've left a front jack down, luckily heard it drag as I moved the 1st few feet. I've left an 8x8 block for under the jack on the ground, yes I brought the jack up but drove right over the block, luckily straight so it cleared the axles and tires, saw it sitting there on the ground when I returned later. So I'm far from a genius when it comes to this stuff. Then there's leaving 7 to 4 pin adapters on my bumper and driving away. In my advanced age I try to step back and do a mental checklist but still screw up at times.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I should have added to my post ..... I've left a front jack down, luckily heard it drag as I moved the 1st few feet. I've left an 8x8 block for under the jack on the ground, yes I brought the jack up but drove right over the block, luckily straight so it cleared the axles and tires, saw it sitting there on the ground when I returned later. So I'm far from a genius when it comes to this stuff. Then there's leaving 7 to 4 pin adapters on my bumper and driving away. In my advanced age I try to step back and do a mental checklist but still screw up at times.
You're wise on the checklist. If I've ever hooked up a trailer and then leave to go check something else I'll always come back and recheck all the connections before getting in the truck and leaving. I caught myself one time with one of the retaining cotter pins for a height adjustment pin on my drop hitch still sitting on the bumper.... That would have been hilarious....

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Placed an order for a new camper today and the salesman was really trying to sell me on a weight distribution hitch. I regularly tow 8-12k on an equipment trailer and have never used a wd hitch on any 3/4 ton truck. I’ll be towing it with a 2500 hemi CCLB. The camper is only 7,735 lbs uvw but is 37’. I won’t be putting on a wd hitch but it got me thinking, whos using one on a 3/4 ton and at what tongue weight do you feel you need it? I’ll mitigate sway by correctly loading it.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Placed an order for a new camper today and the salesman was really trying to sell me on a weight distribution hitch. I regularly tow 8-12k on an equipment trailer and have never used a wd hitch on any 3/4 ton truck. I’ll be towing it with a 2500 hemi CCLB. The camper is only 7,735 lbs uvw but is 37’. I won’t be putting on a wd hitch but it got me thinking, whos using one on a 3/4 ton and at what tongue weight do you feel you need it? I’ll mitigate sway by correctly loading it.
Pittboss44, this is a constant thread on trailer forums. Do I or don't I need a WD hitch with a HD truck? In my experience it's not the WD part as much as the sway control. We tow a 27' Airstream that's around 6600 lbs. with a RAM 2500 6.4 and use a Blue Ox SwayPro with 1000# WD bars.

I don't need it to transfer much weight to the front wheels but do want the sway control that the Blue Ox provides. The trunnions are canted so when the trailer turns, the inside bar tries to return the trailer to center. This is the anti-sway force I'm after. Another plus of the Blue Ox setup is the bars are tapered so they bend and don't exert a rigid force on the trailer frame.

To me it's kinda like 4WD when towing a trailer. You don't need it until you need it. Go watch some YouTube videos of trailer sway and on their sides. I had one experience with sway with a different TV and trailer and never want to have that feeling again. Either way, make sure your trailer tongue is level or slightly down. At 37' and flat sides, that's a lot of surface area for wind / semis to induce sway.
YMMV!

PS: Ignore the red circle on the chains; that was for another post.

Attachments

• P1001176.jpeg
    P1001176.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Seems like the more they’re trying to sell it, the less you need it. I would definitely try without and go from there.

Pitboss44

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm not experienced with travel trailers, but 37' without a wd hitch sounds like a mistake to me.

And, I'm surprised a 37' trailer loaded could be under 8k.
Uvw. Unloaded. I should mention it’s only 15 miles from the dealership to the campground where it will be on a seasonal site year round and I don’t need to go on any highway. I never had any intention on using a wd hitch I was just curious why anyone would and it sounds like its mostly to reduce sway possibility

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Uvw. Unloaded. I should mention it’s only 15 miles from the dealership to the campground where it will be on a seasonal site year round and I don’t need to go on any highway. I never had any intention on using a wd hitch I was just curious why anyone would and it sounds like its mostly to reduce sway possibility
Yeah - if you’re going 15 miles to a permanent campground - don’t waste the money. You’re also correct - it’s less about weight distribution than sway control. When traveling with a trailer, there are lots of things in your control to avoid sway - loading it properly, proper tire inflation, reasonable speed, etc. - and then there’s the bunch of crap you can’t control - the distracted driver on his/her cell phone who swerves in to your rear flank creating a PIT move, the unexpected gust that blows agains the 4 ton brick you’re hauling, the 18 wheeler whose Bernoulli effect when passing you pushes you in to a tail spin, the guy in a hurry to get on to the highway in front of you because you’re too big to be behind so he guns it when there at 3 feet of ramp left and you’re already 20 feet behind that point….etc….

As has been said - you don’t need it until you need it. But if you’re literally only driving it (slowly) to park it at a campground and not move it again - you don’t need it….

raven_dt

Reaction score
We tow a 9.5k 36ft travel trailer with our 2500 CCSB, with an equalizer wdh. Towing an equipment trailer is different than towing a travel trailer because of the large flat surface area that acts as a sail with the TT. Suck and push from 18 wheelers. The equalizer reduces sway and also redistributes weight back to the steering axle. Also with a wdh you are less likely to blow shocks and springs like I've seen some 2500 owners do without a wdh. Personally I would never tow without one, unless it was a dually. Towed thru MO, NE, IA, ID, WY, MT, and SD this past summer and had to deal with significant crosswinds (Up to 40 mph gusts), never would have made it without the equalizer. Like another member stated, you don't need it, until you need it.

Redfour5

Reaction score

I'll admit I'm not experienced with travel trailers, but 37' without a wd hitch sounds like a mistake to me.

And, I'm surprised a 37' trailer loaded could be under 8k.
Never heard of a 37 footer that light.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ll agree with all of the pro-WDH comments above. It’s 85% about sway control. I also feel it’s important on many TTs, especially if you boondock at all, as most larger trailers with slides have the fresh water tank at one end (usually the front) and the waste water tanks at the other. You can’t rely on “proper loading” to eliminate sway when you’re shifting 400# (I have a 45 gal fresh water tank on my 27’) off the tongue and to the back end of the trailer between the drive out and the drive home. The WDH lets me load the front end a little heavier than “ideal” for the drive out, and still have the sway control to help deal with that weight shift for the drive home.

Travel trailers aren’t like utility trailers; you can’t always put weight where you’d prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread