Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Dave01

Reaction score
That's me, right there...Want without a need.
Me too. And probably a bunch of other people here! I guess in truth I do need it, for towing and plowing, could maybe squeak by with a 1500 but I can truly justify the 2500.

I had a beer with some friends yesterday, we get together to talk energy and electric cars, each of them own one, I don't yet but probably will in the next few years. I asked if I'm going to be kicked out of the club since I arrived in a 12 mpg 3/4 ton pickup. :)

jerad

Reaction score
Me too. And probably a bunch of other people here! I guess in truth I do need it, for towing and plowing, could maybe squeak by with a 1500 but I can truly justify the 2500.

I had a beer with some friends yesterday, we get together to talk energy and electric cars, each of them own one, I don't yet but probably will in the next few years. I asked if I'm going to be kicked out of the club since I arrived in a 12 mpg 3/4 ton pickup. :)

yeah, with my current tow needs I could just "Get By" with a 1500. However, It is pretty tough finding one with Tow mirrors and the 3.92 rear end without ordering one.

The 2500 wasn't much more cost than a similar 1500, plus the mirrors on the 23s are a massive upgrade IMO.

A 1500 may be rated for 11-12k lbs towing but payload is very limited and that large of a trailer is going to tell that little truck what it wants to do. Recently upgrading to the 2500 Gas from my 1500 Gas is night and day.

So I'd have to argue a little with the "Want without a need" category.. lol ;)

Greenhills

Reaction score
I just put 12k behind my 20' Power Wagon on 37's. Towed it about 4 hours through the hills with a solid 40 km/h headwind, the truck will did it.... but i don't think it was very happy :oops:

I don't think i got out of 5th / 6th even over 100 KM/h.

Melted my right mudflap off working it so hard.. but temperatures stayed pretty consistent.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I just put 12k behind my 20' Power Wagon on 37's. Towed it about 4 hours through the hills with a solid 40 km/h headwind, the truck will did it.... but i don't think it was very happy :oops:

Melted my right mudflap off working it so hard.. but temperatures stayed pretty consistent.
Pics of the mud flap.

I wouldn’t want to tow 12k with my 2500. I can only imagine 4-5mpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Holy crap on the mudflap!

jsalbre

Reaction score

If you’re generating enough exhaust heat from a gasser to melt a mudflap then you might be running a bit rich. Or did you order the sharp cheddar mudflaps?

snocam

Reaction score
12k is a lot to be towing long distance. I do haul that much locally with no issue behind my non pw on 37s. Highway hauling is limited to about 8500lbs or so. For that it's a great platform. I much prefer the heavier truck, vs a half ton, for the stability on the road, and the payload for all the other gear.

Greenhills

Reaction score
To be totally fair, i'm missing parts of my exhaust, so it doesn't exit in the stock location before all you detectives get up in arms lol.

I'm at work until the 25th, but i'll post the melted rokblokz mudflap when i'm home. It's not just charred, its totally melted and curled into itself.

jsalbre

Reaction score
To be totally fair, i'm missing parts of my exhaust, so it doesn't exit in the stock location before all you detectives get up in arms lol.

I'm at work until the 25th, but i'll post the melted rokblokz mudflap when i'm home. It's not just charred, its totally melted and curled into itself.
What parts of your exhaust are missing?

jetrinka

Reaction score

You cannot tease us with these details without pics. Its ultra mean

Users who are viewing this thread