Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Greenhills

Reaction score
You cannot tease us with these details without pics. Its ultra mean
1684437629547.jpeg

Yes i know its heavy, towing nazi's move along. It was a last minute situation without any other options and I trust my Rams to do what I need them to do.

I did move about 450 pounds out of the nose after this picture which helped a bit.

Clearly overloaded, truck is fine, no one died.

Mudflap carnage when i get home from work end of May.

7 3/4 drop hitch, hindsight should have brought my 6" drop.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Can you even tow with a Cummins? Seems like they're always either on fire or at the shop for a recall.
Never had any issues with mine (knock on wood) but I live in a country and don't drive much in cities so it gets daily workout

whitexc

Reaction score
With more payload.

Sorry, had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Gimmie11s seems to want to make his point, to the point of annoying some people. But then again his posts are good natured enough, I just think he views a 6.4 as a manufacturing error. :D

To your "What's that all about?" question - there is definitely something about diesel enthusiasts that can get overbearing at times. I'm one of them, though hopefully I don't get that way. Should be clear to anyone here that I love my 6.4, have had it for around 10 months now and still enjoy hopping in and driving it every single time, just very happy to have such a great vehicle. But ... I was talking to a friend about trucks last week, my last one was a 2007 LBZ Duramax CCSB. He was asking me about towing with my 6.4, kind of like the discussion in this thread. I said I was really happy with how it tows. He then asked how it compared to my Duramax ... I had to admit the 2007 diesel towed better than the 2021 6.4. The numbers make it obvious why, the old truck had 360 hp and 650 lb.-ft. with a 6 speed. The torque advantage is pretty huge, especially at lower rpm, and the Allison 6 speed is an excellent transmission.

All I'm saying is I can love my gas 6.4 but also know the plus's and minus's of diesels, older and newer. I chose gas for a bunch of reasons, and haven't regretted any of them.
"All I'm saying is I can love my gas 6.4 but also know the plus's and minus's of diesels, older and newer. I chose gas for a bunch of reasons, and haven't regretted any of them."

I totally agree. If I had a 36 foot fifth wheel and/or drove and needed a tow beast for everyday work, I'd be in a diesel in a heartbeat. I don't.

Redfour5

Reaction score
With more payload.

Sorry, had to.

LOL... Ahh yes, coming off of three 1500's, now the 2500 gasser with an 800 lb tongue weight and for the first time ever, never even having to think or consider my payload... Throw that darn 3700 watt generator in the back, sure no problem... I absolutely love it... You need to just have that "with the more payload" thing in some kind of control P action so you can just hit it anytime you want as I'm sure there will be MANY opportunities to remind the DEF suckers... I saw one that had a hundred gallon tank for DEF in the back and a tube heading toward the engine compartment... (goes and ducks for cover)

TexasGuy

Reaction score
The reason I switched to a Ram 2500 6.4 was because of payload, I had a Tundra Crewmax 2wd, tongue weight of my TT plus passengers exceeded payload by 1000 lbs. a bad crosswind would make the truck squirrelly on the road. On top of that I was bottoming on the overload leaf while hitting bumps, with bilstein shocks. Airbags just launched the trailer around and made the truck a stiff ride.

Last edited:

Maui Time

Reaction score
I towed my small excavator with my 6.4 last week, forgot to take a picture, I will next time and post it for sure. The machine weighs about 8k, so with the trailer it's just over 11k. I didn't have to go far, really just across town. There were some hills. It pulled great. The gas 6.4 is just practical for me. If I was towing that weight or more every day I'd certainly consider the diesel. However, at this point the 6.4 in the 2500, with the way mine is set up, checks a lot of boxes.
I have a 2022 PW 6.4. I have towed my Bobcat E45 excavator (10,000lbs) with a forrestry mulching head (900lbs) on a 22' tilt trailer, probably 3,000lbs a few times back and forth from some property that I have to town which is about 100 miles each way. Some hills, mostly highway. Zero problems. Transmission temperature stays steady between 168-170. Usually not much cargo.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I have a 2022 PW 6.4. I have towed my Bobcat E45 excavator (10,000lbs) with a forrestry mulching head (900lbs) on a 22' tilt trailer, probably 3,000lbs a few times back and forth from some property that I have to town which is about 100 miles each way. Some hills, mostly highway. Zero problems. Transmission temperature stays steady between 168-170. Usually not much cargo.
So what you are saying is that you were towing way over all of your rated capacities. The bud light must flow strong with you.

Firebird

Reaction score
On stock D load range tires?

Users who are viewing this thread