Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

switz

Reaction score
Can you please give us some more information?
1) Can the video be split on the 12" screen while driving?
1) Can you take a picture of the video and submit it here?
3) How hard is it to install all this wiring?

Thanks for all your information

dalepres

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to hear more about this camera. I ordered the wiring kit on my Ram but I didn't realize it took a 600 dollar specific camera. I have cameras in my surveillance system that are a hundred times better that cost me around $100 dollars. I just figured it was going to be an RCA or BNC connector and I could connect any analog camera. So much for assuming. Well, maybe the harness will increase resale value - probably not.

regal2800

Reaction score
Trailer Camera Mounting Location Suggestions

View attachment 1408
Any chance you took a pic of the screen for us to see the quality you saw? Thats really too bad that if the camera isn't useable. Ford super duty also uses a 12 pin trailer camera and the quality on that seems pretty good. I wonder if the plug is the same.

What as the part number of the kit you bought? Also where did you buy it that they allow returns on electric items?

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Who’s going to be able to wire that thing all the way around on a 40+ foot 5th wheel where wires aren’t shown. Then if it’s on a boat trailer is it water proof to go in the water?? I might stick with my Furrion for 5th wheel and 7” screen and add to my boat trailer if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Who’s going to be able to wire that thing all the way around on a 40+ foot 5th wheel where wires aren’t shown. Then if it’s on a boat trailer is it water proof to go in the water?? I might stick with my Furrion for 5th wheel and 7” screen and add to my boat trailer if so.

Guess I found my answer.
7c0a49eac2a7a4ab7299f33b08ad7ed6.jpg

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I don’t even see one that’s going to go around a 40+ ft 5th wheel anyways. Not long enough cord. Definitely will only out on boat trailer I guess.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Guaranteed someone will figure out how to do a wireless camera.

aduc

Reaction score
I ordered too and installed. I concur camera quality is not as good as vehicle cameras. Install not hard just a matter of routing wires but need big holes to feed connector thru so I went with a no new holes method.

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 129

switz

Reaction score
I ordered too and installed. I concur camera quality is not as good as vehicle cameras. Install not hard just a matter of routing wires but need big holes to feed connector thru so I went with a no new holes method.
Thanks for the picture. A couple of things:

1) Can you split the image on the 12" screen? Let's say have media on one half and the rear camera on the other?
b. can you drive down the road with the camera on?
2) Is this camera a wide-angle view? When I purchased my wireless camera for my 5th wheel, the 1st one I go wasn't wide-angle and I couldn't see the sides of the rear to see if there were cars that I was going to hit when changing lanes.
3) Do you think it would be possible to install a different camera to Ram's wiring?

Thanks!

aduc

Reaction score

1) Can you split the image on the 12" screen? Let's say have media on one half and the rear camera on the other?
2) Is this camera a wide-angle view? When I purchased my wireless camera for my 5th wheel, the 1st one I go wasn't wide-angle and I couldn't see the sides of the rear to see if there were cars that I was going to hit when changing lanes.
3) Do you think it would be possible to install a different camera to Ram's wiring?

Thanks!
I'm not sure you can split screen it seems I have to goto back up camera then select aux camera to access it. You can select while driving but seems to turn off after 5 seconds. It does locked on if you select while in reverse..it looks to be reasonable wide angle but I have mine mounted rather high so that may make it seem wider. The picture quality is not great, just not very Sharp. I hope maybe there will be an after market camera that hooks up to Ram wiring

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

Thanks!

I’m just glad it’s not popping into the mirror like some pictures showed. I just don’t see running 42 Ft of cable down and to the top of my RV when I have it already for the Furrion system already. I guess I will just stick with it on the boat.

switz

Reaction score
I'm not sure you can split screen it seems I have to goto back up camera then select aux camera to access it. You can select while driving but seems to turn off after 5 seconds. It does locked on if you select while in reverse..it looks to be reasonable wide angle but I have mine mounted rather high so that may make it seem wider. The picture quality is not great, just not very Sharp. I hope maybe there will be an after market camera that hooks up to Ram wiring
Not being able to view it while driving is a deal breaker for me. I'll stick with the Furion.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Can you please give us some more information?
1) Can the video be split on the 12" screen while driving?
1) Can you take a picture of the video and submit it here?
3) How hard is it to install all this wiring?
Any chance you took a pic of the screen for us to see the quality you saw?
Did you take a pic of how it looks on the screen?

For those looking for pics of what it looks like on screen, I took two for you, as well as the same picture from an iPhone. As you'll see below, the quality is night and day. The RAM picture quality just is not acceptable at all IMHO.

In regards to the install on our travel trailer, it would be an absolute nightmare. I really expected the RAM camera to plug and play within existing RV industry standards, but it doesn't. So, for a finished look (I'm not interested in cables being exposed on top of the roof), you would have to drill holes into either the back wall or roof, depending on where you wanted to place the mount for the camera. With our rear trailer wall being solid, we would have to drop the cabling above the ceiling and run the 38' length to the front of the trailer. From there, I would have to make another hole, in order to drop the harness down a wall and into a front trunk in order to pass through to the trailer frame. I estimate the time for an experienced installer would be at least 6-hours and for a guy like me, a full weekend. I would be totally up for investing the time to make it work, but not for such poor quality picture, especially when you compare the cost of the MOPAR product compared to existing Wireless RV Cameras.

FULL SCREEN
It is not possible to split the screen as the "Controls" always stay on the bottom half of the screen.

You have to select one of the camera choices first, then on the top screen will appear a choice for an "Auxiliary Camera". When you select Auxiliary, then the trailer camera comes on.

AuxiliaryCameraFullScreen.jpg

ZOOMED SCREEN
It is not possible to split the screen as the "Controls" always stay on the bottom half of the screen.
This example is so you can see the picture quality better.
AuxiliaryCameraCloseUp.jpg

iPhone View
This example is so you can see the same view from an iPhone.

AuxiliaryCameraIPHONE.jpg

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I just don’t see running 42 Ft of cable down and to the top of my RV when I have it already for the Furrion system already.
I understand. The package comes with 52 ft. of harness. If one needs more length, Part #68382532AB is another 23 ft. harness. According to the instruction manual, the maximum length of harness is limited to 80 ft. for the camera to operate.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
For those looking for pics of what it looks like on screen, I took two for you, as well as the same picture from an iPhone. As you'll see below, the quality is night and day. The RAM picture quality just is not acceptable at all IMHO.

In regards to the install on our travel trailer, it would be an absolute nightmare. I really expected the RAM camera to plug and play within existing RV industry standards, but it doesn't. So, for a finished look (I'm not interested in cables being exposed on top of the roof), you would have to drill holes into either the back wall or roof, depending on where you wanted to place the mount for the camera. With our rear trailer wall being solid, we would have to drop the cabling above the ceiling and run the 38' length to the front of the trailer. From there, I would have to make another hole, in order to drop the harness down a wall and into a front trunk in order to pass through to the trailer frame. I estimate the time for an experienced installer would be at least 6-hours and for a guy like me, a full weekend. I would be totally up for investing the time to make it work, but not for such poor quality picture, especially when you compare the cost of the MOPAR product compared to existing Wireless RV Cameras.

FULL SCREEN

You have to select one of the camera choices first, then on the top screen will appear a choice for an "Auxiliary Camera". When you select Auxiliary, then the trailer camera comes on.

View attachment 1456

ZOOMED SCREEN
This example is so you can see the picture quality better.
View attachment 1457

iPhone View
This example is so you can see the same view from an iPhone.

View attachment 1459

Wow!! A FLOP!!

switz

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post them. I'll take a hard pass.

D

Deleted member 80

That is pretty sad quality. Very disappointing. So with that being a flop, and the side view cameras that I need the most not staying on the screen when I need them for viewing curb clearance when negotiating intersections, or lane chages, I would say the Tow Tech package is pretty much a bust for me.

Users who are viewing this thread