Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

4855b5c6e6653df5546c66061d77fd8e.jpg

Just wish it was better quality Video feed and wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Well hopefully they will create an aftermarket maybe even a better camera to add later or a wireless one.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I agree. Cameras can always be updated to newer one. Who knows Furrion might come out with one to adapt to it.

dalepres

Reaction score
4855b5c6e6653df5546c66061d77fd8e.jpg

Just wish it was better quality Video feed and wireless.

Notice that none of their announcements show pictures or video of the camera. If I could get my hands on one for free I'd hack it, assuming it's analog.

FCA really should not have even made the camera; they should have just published a camera spec and let camera people make cameras.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
FCA really should not have even made the camera; they should have just published a camera spec and let camera people make cameras.

Agreed.. they shouldn't be in the business of NAV units either, just make some super sweet hardware and let Google and Apple figure out how to take advantage of it

dalepres

Reaction score
Agreed.. they shouldn't be in the business of NAV units either, just make some super sweet hardware and let Google and Apple figure out how to take advantage of it

They aren't going to open up more features. In fact, they're going to tighten up even more; the industry is getting close to locking down OBD-II as well. They figured out there was money in all that data and they're not going to let you control it. The first thing they took away choice that I remember was the air conditioner. It was available as a dealer option and aftermarket in the early 60s. They built that into the dash and killed the after market A/C market. Then the radio, doing away with DIN mounted radios. The goal is a closed system where the automaker not only tells you what you can put in the car, they get to charge absurd prices for it. Off topic for this forum but consider uConnect and not being able to put your own apps on it.

dalepres

Reaction score
Does it automatically turn on the camera when you put it in reverse, or does it still require you to push the aux camera icon? Picture quality sucks, but it's still better than no camera i guess. I just wish it was wireless.

I don't know; I stole the picture from page 10 of this thread.

dalepres

Reaction score
I watched some videos for Customtronix jailbreak for uConnect. From their product, it appears that the video is composite video going from the cameras into the uConnect system. It wouldn't be impossible to modify an existing setup to use a different camera but the connector and wiring parts wouldn't be cheap and one would probably need a service manual or wiring diagram along with several hundred dollars of FCA cables to cut up in order to do it neatly or make it look good. I could rig something to breakout the connectors and inject composite video for testing but packaging it for permanent use wouldn't be so easy. I can't figure out why the camera would have 12-pins on the connector. Composite video takes 3 to 4, depending on whether signal and power grounds are shared. RGB would take 5 to 8, depending on whether grounds are shared.

There are other possibilities for why so many pins on the connector, such as an enable/disable, but I don't get to 12 in any way. Sometimes, there are multiple ground leads or power leads just to increase current capacity but the power/current requirements of a modern camera is very low. Many of my professional security cameras draw less than 7 watts, just over half an amp, at 12v including IR LEDs with 30 to 50 foot range. Still, the extra connections could still be power or ground. They could also be simple loops or even logic to make sure you're only using approved cameras.

dalepres

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I sent customtronix an email pointing to this thread. From their breakout boxes, I think they would have the lab setup to test and build this. Their front-view camera is 69 EU. If they have a quality camera they're selling for that price, they could probably find a way to make up that same camera to fit the trailer camera connector and make a big profit selling at $200 to $300.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Have we already answered the question of does the camera stay displayed while traveling too or only in reverse? I like to see other lanes while changing lanes too when passing not just backing.

AFF

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at a 2019 2500 on the lot that was built is March 2019. You think the wiring is there to add the center stop light camera for the cargo? Or even the plug by the drivers side dash panel to add the trailer tech cabling in the future?

MoneyMagicMike

Reaction score
H
Wow!! A FLOP!!

ahaha I waited to order my truck until it was able to come with the trailer camera wiring package for this, piiisssshhh I’m thinking a wireless 12 pin 1080p camera is coming in the future...patience is a virtue gonna need the screen to stay on too to act as a rear view mirrow

AFF

Reaction score
Hi, I pulled off the drivers side cover where the trailer camera cable would go. There is already a cable plugged in there. What does that mean? On the back of the truck it's still the 4/7 plugs.
I expected nothing to be plugged in the socket.
IMG_2155.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread