Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs Installed and tested. Ongoing.

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
Does anyone pull a 5th wheel camper (11,000 lb. GVWR) with 1950# (+/-) on the pin using Sumo Spring on a 2022 2500 gasser? If so, which Sumo, Black (-47) or Yellow (-54). Thanks.
p.s., I've looked in the towing thread, not muct there for Sumo use.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Just put the blues front and rear. I won't be towing for a week or so, but as for unloaded driving (its only been 2 days, so take that fwiw) I feel like the bumps are all still there, just less jarring. I do notice a difference. Jury is still out on if it was worth the $$ for unloaded driving. I did get them at a nice discount over the holidays - so, for my end, I'm happy w the purchase so far...
What engine do you have?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
“Gasser” ^
Does anyone pull a 5th wheel camper (11,000 lb. GVWR) with 1950# (+/-) on the pin using Sumo Spring on a 2022 2500 gasser? If so, which Sumo, Black (-47) or Yellow (-54). Thanks.
p.s., I've looked in the towing thread, not muct there for Sumo use.
I can sorta help you because although I don’t have a 5er I’m pulling about 900# tongue weight (bumper pull) with around 800# of crap in the bed at all times.

The black ones work extremely well for me and they aren’t overly stiff when not towing but keep in mind I always have the crap in the truck.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I saw a thread on another Ram forum about 1500’s frames cracking by where the rear coil springs mount when using Timbrens with heavier trailer tongue weights.

I know that thread is about 1500s, but could 2500’s suffer from that too?

Note if this needs to be a separate thread mods feel free to move it.

I honestly think that's purely a 5th gen 1500 frame issue, especially with half-ton trucks turning into grocery getters and no longer real trucks IMO - This leads the OEMs to cut weight and chase CAFE numbers. I had a 4th gen 1500 that was purely a daily driver/fun off road truck, but I did keep two sets of rear sumos for it so I could tow short distances if needed. I overloaded that thing on more than one occasion where it was easier to just put on the heavy sumos than go grab one of the HD's (moving something 10-15 miles down back county roads at low speeds) and never incurred any frame damage. I also know guys who pretty regularly load up their 2500s heavy with bags or sumos, etc and no frame damage to date. But I've seen multiple reports of the 5th gen 1500's cracking frames - Tells me its a 5th gen 1500 issue.

RAM-Ewad

Reaction score
Just put the blues front and rear. I won't be towing for a week or so, but as for unloaded driving (its only been 2 days, so take that fwiw) I feel like the bumps are all still there, just less jarring. I do notice a difference. Jury is still out on if it was worth the $$ for unloaded driving. I did get them at a nice discount over the holidays - so, for my end, I'm happy w the purchase so far...
I've not seen the blue sumo's for a 2022 2500. Blue rears are rated at 1000 lbs. Supersprings Interntional website product fitment only offers the black -47's (1500 lbs.) and yelow -54's (2800 lbs.) How are they working? What are hou towing? Thanks,

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I've not seen the blue sumo's for a 2022 2500. Blue rears are rated at 1000 lbs. Supersprings Interntional website product fitment only offers the black -47's (1500 lbs.) and yelow -54's (2800 lbs.) How are they working? What are hou towing? Thanks,
The biggest thing I towed so far is a jayco white hawk 32qbh. it's just under 10k fully loaded. dry hitch is 1100lb's I think. unfortunately I never had a chance to tow it before I got the sumo springs, so take this w a grain of salt. All I know is now it's loaded w crap and there is zero squat on my truck and it rides like a dream loaded. Would there have been squat without them? likely not, but I can't say for sure. The ride quality unloaded is somewhat better. I dont think I would buy again at reg price for that alone (I got a significant deal). All in all, I'm happy w the results for what I payed.

When I reached out to them and asked which I should use they were pretty firm on the blues (ok, bad choice of words :p ) I gave them all the vehicle and trailer info...

Users who are viewing this thread