Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs Installed and tested. Ongoing.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
....I decided the swaybar shouldn’t be on the floor in the garage anymore and I moved it to the spare pile in the backyard.

charlie-murphy-charlie.gif

@ramblinChet does not approve.

lol the amount of squat under my 5k gross TT is embarrassing. The truck may be able to handle some weight but I'd need a paper bag over my head to drive it that way :p

My 2016 2500 was similar. LOVED how that truck rode unloaded, but was not impressed under tow.

This thread should give the 3/4 ton guys hope. Seems like this is a great option.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
lol the amount of squat under my 5k gross TT is embarrassing. The truck may be able to handle some weight but I'd need a paper bag over my head to drive it that way :p
Last week, my 4k? TT, 9 Sparklets? Jugs, 6 gas cans, a giant cooler, guns, 5 days of almond to burn + the job box full of superfluous crepe…she was a bit squatty but nothing like the Raptor used to get. As least folks weren’t flashing highs at me on the road.
As far as pulling the rear swaybar, I don’t know. A rear doesn’t toss you around as much as a front will off road, I do tow a lot…don’t know, if my TT wasn’t single axle and more behaved..probably not, not now.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I guess they are softer than the other 2500s mine has been quite impressive before the bags. I only added the bags for stability when towing the top heavy loads.

Before the bags This is 2150lbs of water tote 3 full 5gal jerry cans of fuel and 2 20lbs propane tanks and the cross bed box loaded with tools, then in the trailer its full of hunting gear and Yamaha Viking. Id say it handles the weight pretty good for coils.

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’m on stock rear springs and am pretty much sitting on the sumos because of all the weight I have constantly so take that into consideration. If I was on softer thuren or carli springs I would probably run their bar in the front

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Look forward to hearing your experience if you’re happier with them shorter. For your use, you probably will be.
If I did more off-road in this truck I would likely shorten up the sumos but for pounding pavement and putting in work I’m happy with them as is.
The truck must have been on the front sumos more than I thought, it’s definitely more floaty and wallows a bit around town and freeway, less sporty through on and off ramps etc.
Handling seemed better while jetting around on pavement with them full length, haven’t wheeled yet but also haven’t felt any bottoming taking speed bumps or dips at stupid speed. Meh..still feeling it out, off road will tell.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The truck must have been on the front sumos more than I thought, it’s definitely more floaty and wallows a bit around town and freeway, less sporty through on and off ramps etc.
Handling seemed better while jetting around on pavement with them full length, haven’t wheeled yet but also haven’t felt any bottoming taking speed bumps or dips at stupid speed. Meh..still feeling it out, off road will tell.

I drove a 2.5 mile road this weekend in my Ram that put the suspension thru its full travel, and then some as I did a little 3 wheeling in places. My front sumo’s are in contact statically and even then I don’t think they really hindered my front travel this weekend… at least not enough to worry about on a 3500. The rear air droops a lot less than I anticipated, but then again the lightly lifted 4Runner also flexed out and pulled a wheel a couple of times.

I thought about cutting them when I installed them to have a gap, but I think the lack of a gap really is a positive thing on the road and didn’t detract off road on otherwise stock suspension (besides the Thuren swaybar).

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I drove a 2.5 mile road this weekend in my Ram that put the suspension thru its full travel, and then some as I did a little 3 wheeling in places. My front sumo’s are in contact statically and even then I don’t think they really hindered my front travel this weekend… at least not enough to worry about on a 3500. The rear air droops a lot less than I anticipated, but then again the lightly lifted 4Runner also flexed out and pulled a wheel a couple of times.

I thought about cutting them when I installed them to have a gap, but I think the lack of a gap really is a positive thing on the road and didn’t detract off road on otherwise stock suspension (besides the Thuren swaybar).
We were slow dropping off some ledges last month that were definitely more dramatic and whamming with the sumos than they were before having them…I liked them fine for fast running and all around off road, but deer field rock exposed the disagreeable trait. Where there should have been only spring travel, there was an overly stiff condition…the truck was bottoming on them when it wouldn’t have bottomed at all without. Maybe the difference is that there is a gap on a PW…and that deer country is probably the wildest wheeling I partake of except some stupid stuff than can happen elk hunting, seems every time I break something it’s elk hunting.
She even noticed the difference and asked why the truck was beating us up.
I had bought them for bumpstops, not to aid the suspension in any way. Cut, they seem like still awesome stops…can’t get the truck to bottom harshly around town.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
We were slow dropping off some ledges last month that were definitely more dramatic and whamming with the sumos than they were before having them…I liked them fine for fast running and all around off road, but deer field rock exposed the disagreeable trait. Where there should have been only spring travel, there was an overly stiff condition…the truck was bottoming on them when it wouldn’t have bottomed at all without. Maybe the difference is that there is a gap on a PW…
She even noticed the difference and asked why the truck was beating us up.
I had bought them for bumpstops, not to aid the suspension in any way. Cut, they seem like still awesome stops…can’t get the truck to bottom harshly around town.

On my 3500 with the CTD they are much less dramatic, but I have also found that a stock height 3500 CTD doesn't take much off-road stuff to bottom them out. The shape of many USFS roads these days left me bottoming out often in 100% stock form, now it's incredibly smooth. I did the sumo's and thuren swaybar at the same time, so I can't comment on the individual benefits other than when both sides bottom out evenly it's still very smooth.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
On my 3500 with the CTD they are much less dramatic, but I have also found that a stock height 3500 CTD doesn't take much off-road stuff to bottom them out. The shape of many USFS roads these days left me bottoming out often in 100% stock form, now it's incredibly smooth. I did the sumo's and thuren swaybar at the same time, so I can't comment on the individual benefits other than when both sides bottom out evenly it's still very smooth.
Agreed….they have a benefit in whoops and washouts at speed (which is most of what I do around here) but with binos and stuff flying around during slow and what should have been controlled stuff, did something.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed….they have a benefit in whoops and washouts at speed (which is most of what I do around here) but with binos and stuff flying around during slow and what should have been controlled stuff, did something.

Interesting, I don’t get that with mine… but very different suspension setups.

g00fy

Reaction score
I just added front blue sumos to my 2019 2500 6.7. I do a little plowing when we get snow here in NJ, and the Western ultramount 8.5ft plow was utilizing the bump stops more than I liked while driving over bridge seams on the way to and from my shop. I've only gotten to drive a little bit since I put the sumos on this morning, but I gotta say, vast improvement in how the front end handles bumps while carrying the plow, I'm really impressed.

I'm hoping I'll be just as happy with the way the front end feels after I take the plow off.

If I didn't just install airbags in the rear a few weeks ago, I might have given the sumos for the rear much more consideration after seeing how well they worked on my front axle. I will say though I was a bit surprised at their size when they showed up lol, don't know why I was expecting something bigger.
PXL_20240106_160601496.jpg
PXL_20240106_170435834.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I wonder how the blue Sumo bumps would do on my 2500 hemi?

Here is my empty weights.
I carry a lot of weight in my Hemi with all the crap I’ve got on/in it. My riding around weight is 8220. Pic won’t attach right now but it’s ~4500+f/3600+r

I feel like the black springs are still a little stiff unloaded but amazing when towing and also eliminated the axle hop thing these trucks do.

I think the blue springs are softer than the black springs and my opinion is they may be a perfect middle ground.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I saw a thread on another Ram forum about 1500’s frames cracking by where the rear coil springs mount when using Timbrens with heavier trailer tongue weights.

I know that thread is about 1500s, but could 2500’s suffer from that too?

Note if this needs to be a separate thread mods feel free to move it.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Just put the blues front and rear. I won't be towing for a week or so, but as for unloaded driving (its only been 2 days, so take that fwiw) I feel like the bumps are all still there, just less jarring. I do notice a difference. Jury is still out on if it was worth the $$ for unloaded driving. I did get them at a nice discount over the holidays - so, for my end, I'm happy w the purchase so far...

Users who are viewing this thread