Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs Installed and tested. Ongoing.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
What’s your estimated tongue weight percentage with the enclosed trailer?
I strive for around 15%. I didn’t weigh the tongue today, I guessed on this load.

This trailer has a dry weight of 3300 lb and a tongue weight of 300lb (the rear door is heavy) + The load today was my Porsche 944 which I delivered to its new owner which was 3000lb with the spares that went with it. (2700 plus a lot of crap)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Looks great and love your trailer - that thing is so big it even makes your truck look kinda normal, lol. Anything special you want to share with us about the trailer?
Thanks it’s a 20’ with 7’ interior height to fit my rock crawler which barely fits.

It has rv power whip with 120v receptacles and lighting. I can park at an RV spot at most off road parks and have power. I also have a jackery 300 which provides approx 5 hours of 120v if I’m just using the 60w lighting.

Went for upgraded floor and walls as well as windows. Pretty simple other than that. 9999gvwr to keep it legal on a normal drivers license. It doubles as an additional garage space at home and when at an off-road park i plan on using it as a little shop maybe sleep in it.BAFD001A-293E-47EF-93E2-ACD3B63294D9.jpeg
646E62FF-FA16-49DE-91D5-67BAACA311A1.jpeg

whitexc

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up RC. I will be adding something to my truck for the new 5th wheel and like the simplicity of these.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’ve had the sumo springs for a while and a few months ago I decided to pull the rear sway bar off the truck and see how that felt.

After driving around a bunch and towing up through the mountains I decided the swaybar shouldn’t be on the floor in the garage anymore and I moved it to the spare pile in the backyard.

The sumo springs are handling everything quite well and I’m happy with the experience.

Removing the swaybars was not to gain flex or articulation but to improve ride quality.

IMG_3361.jpeg

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
I’ve had the sumo springs for a while and a few months ago I decided to pull the rear sway bar off the truck and see how that felt.

After driving around a bunch and towing up through the mountains I decided the swaybar shouldn’t be on the floor in the garage anymore and I moved it to the spare pile in the backyard.

The sumo springs are handling everything quite well and I’m happy with the experience.

View attachment 64299
YOU'RE GONNA DIE WITH NO SWAYBARS!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Looks sweet!

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Recip saw made quick work of minus two sumo bubbles leaving two, with them still on the truck.
The cuts left the end looking a little soft and airy, not quite like the surface originally on it.
Noticed that the driver side had an angle cut off the end in order to clear the pumpkin, looked like it was done with some kind of hot knife betcha, so made another like it.
Put the propane torch to the cuts, slightly toasted them making some god-awful no doubt deadly fumes.
When they cooled, the surface felt more like the rest…harder and seemingly more durable, albeit slightly bumpy. Tiny bumps.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Recip saw made quick work of minus two sumo bubbles leaving two, with them still on the truck.
The cuts left the end looking a little soft and airy, not quite like the surface originally on it.
Noticed that the driver side had an angle cut off the end in order to clear the pumpkin, looked like it was done with some kind of hot knife betcha, so made another like it.
Put the propane torch to the cuts, slightly toasted them making some god-awful no doubt deadly fumes.
When they cooled, the surface felt more like the rest…harder and seemingly more durable, albeit slightly bumpy. Tiny bumps.
Look forward to hearing your experience if you’re happier with them shorter. For your use, you probably will be.
If I did more off-road in this truck I would likely shorten up the sumos but for pounding pavement and putting in work I’m happy with them as is.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Look forward to hearing your experience if you’re happier with them shorter. For your use, you probably will be.
If I did more off-road in this truck I would likely shorten up the sumos but for pounding pavement and putting in work I’m happy with them as is.
Truck is heavy, man…slow dropping off of rocks especially on the downhill was more dramatic than would have been with pure spring travel imo and that is with a PW where there was some travel still available. I doubt there would be any with a standard 2500, would be on them static.
Hoping for best, more travel before engagement and still plenty of cushy bump when needed.
I think the softer blues would be the choice on the front of a PW and even they might stand a trimming, blacks came from Thuren. The rear boogies from the same have a lot more space between them and the axle, not messing with those yet..jounce was def a front end thing.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I've always wondered how a PW would react to no swaybars being that the rest of the suspension is so soft.

I know I really like the disconnect when off road but the dang thing reconnects at a stupid low speed/wheel slip.....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I've always wondered how a PW would react to no swaybars being that the rest of the suspension is so soft.

I know I really like the disconnect when off road but the dang thing reconnects at a stupid low speed/wheel slip.....
The suspension is not as soft as the payload numbers would have you believe

Users who are viewing this thread