Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs Installed and tested. Ongoing.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
TDLR:
- easy to install.
- squat busters.
- initial drive they seemed pretty stiff.
- large bumps like speed bumps are stiff.
- after more miles I’m happy with them when unloaded despite occasional hard bumps
- phenomenal towing experience

I decided to try sumo springs as a load helper on my Ram. The main problem is the fact that my truck is “leveled” 1” and when I start towing that makes my truck look nose high. The bulletproof and maintenance free aspect drew me to try these.

So what’s the deal?

Sumo spring SSR-312-47

2019 Ram 2500

Kit weight : 8 lb
Kit contents

7A6AE8FE-010A-4E9C-999B-A1567E437564.jpeg

Tools needed
7/32” Allen key
16mm loosening tool of choice

BB394B85-0EC7-4953-8AE2-59F6CA835AA2.jpeg

Install took about ten minutes, I did not need to jack up the truck or remove the tires. The base bracket replaces the bump stop and reused factory hardware. They include blue locktite. Position the spacer, lock it down, Spin on the sumo spring.

When i went to install the sumo, I just needed a hair more space. So, I did end up needing to lift the truck about 1” but I just put my floor jack under my drop hitch and one pump gave me just enough lift to fit the spring in.

Sumo spring website says you want 1/2”-1” gap between the sumo and the axle. I have what I guess to be a little less than 1/2”

B95BAA12-AD8E-4060-AA39-EF7603857BF9.jpeg
64E6D572-F236-496A-8EE5-D080193A6712.jpeg

3D1B2EFA-1D37-4D17-9D98-BF715542E034.jpeg

Now, how did they help? I set my tongue weight to 800lb and I measured my truck and it squatted 1.25” without the sumo springs.

With the sumo springs, I had exactly .5” of squat. They’re squat busters for sure.

Disclaimer: This is just measuring the truck and then adding tongue weight. Trailer and truck did not move. static measurements. the springs may take a set.

I use this setup to measure tongue weight.

94C53606-CD83-4EF2-8DB7-A030AF6BAE8B.jpeg9F49E79C-E5AB-4879-92A9-90B064070D66.jpeg

Sounds amazing, right?

Well, there are downsides. I drove off my curb to test hitting a bump and although it was much softer than hitting bump stops, it was much firmer than just spring would be. I think this extra load support will be great for towing but I think may be a trade off around town. I hope they take a little bit of a set maybe 1/4-1/2” after a bit of driving. If they do, I’ll have the clearance to be able to remove them without lifting the truck slightly. Then I can just spin them on when I’m towing.

I have had airbags before and these have some trade offs when compared to airbags. You’re trading adjustability for simplicity. Airbags tend to reduce down travel and up travel unless used with cradles. These have no effect on down travel but will decrease up travel.

Time will tell if the PROS outweigh the CONS.

I will be sure to report back and let you guys know if I love them or hate them and if I would do them again or if I would go with airbags.

Money was not a deciding factor but these ($289) do cost about half of the airlift 5000 ultimate plus if adding cradles. About $100-$150 less than the cheapest airlift kit and about half of a timber grove air bag kit

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Interesting. I do like the fact that they can be taken off fairly easy when not in use.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Do you see any issues with since they offer nearly no compression, the ride being overly violent off the beaten path where the suspension moves more?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Do you see any issues with since they offer nearly no compression, the ride being overly violent off the beaten path where the suspension moves more?
That’s where it’s going to be interesting to see how they behave. I will definitely report back with my thoughts after I put loaded and unloaded miles on them.

el_barto

Reaction score
If they had these in blue(softest compound) for the rears I’d be interested. I think the black ones (and yellow), as you noted, are good for towing but add too much stiffness for offroad

I have the blues in the front and did not notice a dramatic change in ride quality but don’t have harsh bottoming out (like the rock hard stock bumpstops ) on big bumps since the engagement is smooth

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I put them on the PW…Sumo on the front and Boogie Bumps on the back, the Thuren sold kits. There is pretty good gap between them and the axles on my PW, super bump stops for my running through desert/high speed travel mostly. Thought that I might cut off a layer of “bubble” to get more free up-travel again, will see.
Bottoming out is a ton nicer for sure.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If they had these in blue(softest compound) for the rears I’d be interested. I think the black ones (and yellow), as you noted, are good for towing but add too much stiffness for offroad

I have the blues in the front and did not notice a dramatic change in ride quality but don’t have harsh bottoming out (like the rock hard stock bumpstops ) on big bumps since the engagement is smooth
I would’ve opted for blue if they were available for these trucks. I didn’t quite need the 1500lb (black) or 2800lb (yellow) load support that these offer. Initial thoughts are that these may be too stiff for my liking but I will definitely give them a chance.

My truck still gets used for family cruising on road trips and such and is a weekend warrior, but it’s intended purpose is “tow rig”. I didn’t really need airbags but I wanted to try something

I hope to update this thread with useful and objective results so others can make a semi-educated decision before deciding what they would like.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Curious to see how much gap you have. If you have the same kit we would then know how much lift a PW has over a std 2500.
I put them on the PW…Sumo on the front and Boogie Bumps on the back, the Thuren sold kits. There is pretty good gap between them and the axles on my PW, super bump stops for my running through desert/high speed travel mostly. Thought that I might cut off a layer of “bubble” to get more free up-travel again, will see.
Bottoming out is a ton nicer for sure.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Curious to see how much gap you have. If you have the same kit we would then know how much lift a PW has over a std 2500.

The rear Boogie Bumps are rectangular and not for carrying a load, nowhere near as tall as the Sumos…around 2 1/2” of gap in there. Gap is a bit less in the front with Sumos, all that Sumo probably isn’t necessary for a decent bump stop. Cutting off two bubbles would probably work great, an experiment in progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
I forgot about the boogie rear bump stops…might have to look into those

Edit: looks like thuren now offers the sumo springs for the fronts since their boogies didn’t fit 2019+. Interestingly they are selling the black ones rather than the blue for the front.

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I forgot about the boogie rear bump stops…might have to look into those

Edit: looks like thuren now offers the sumo springs for the fronts since their boogies didn’t fit 2019+. Interestingly they are selling the black ones rather than the blue for the front.

bolts that come with the Boog Bs didn’t work with my PW, had to source different on account of the rear bump stop spacers

el_barto

Reaction score
bolts that come with the Boog Bs didn’t work with my PW, had to source different on account of the rear bump stop spacers
What year is your truck? It says the rears are bolt on for all 2014+…did you message them and let them know so they can revision the kit to include the right hardware?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
What year is your truck? It says the rears are bolt on for all 2014+…did you message them and let them know so they can revision the kit to include the right hardware?
yes I did, talked back and forth a bit..unless a kit says PW specific now the bolts wont work.
If you look at my pic above, bolts pass through the shiny top plate/2” spacer block and secured by the black nuts on top which are welded. The bolts supplied are tapered/countersunk type and hex-wrench headed…and too short, they are for a non-PW featuring no 2” block.

The bump then bolts to that upper plate.

I asked if the block would be required given the height of those bumps vs stock and he said that deleting them could be a bad idea, so didn’t.

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
Interesting…do you remember what size/length hardware you needed?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Interesting…do you remember what size/length hardware you needed?
Remember that it was metric and exactly 2” longer than supplied…had a time tracking them down here, McFadden Dale came through. Emailing Thuren should get the particulars…

Found theirs..1/2 inch of threads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Remember that it was metric and exactly 2” longer than supplied…had a time tracking them down here, McFadden Dale came through. Emailing Thuren should get the particulars…

Found theirs..1/2 inch of threads
Did you replace them with 316 stainless?

el_barto

Reaction score
McMaster Carr is my source for any odd hardware…but they are just online.

Also if they are threading into steel nuts I would stick with steel bolts not stainless, to prevent galling

UglyViking

Reaction score
I did a similar setup for towing my ~8k travel trailer except with timbrens. I was hoping it would help with keeping the truck level (I've got the +1" Thuren soft rides in the rear), as well as provide additional lateral stability (mostly focused on reducing the wag). I think they helped with the squat, but putting them on/off was a bit of an annoyance. I also liked that I could quickly put them on/off depending on need, which is not hard, but my truck gets dirty and swapping them out resulted in me needing to change my shirt and wash my arms up, plus my pants got a bit dirty.

I think that airbags provide more flexibility (more load leveling options depending on weight) and likely better reduction in wag (the bags are pretty stiff, and even with the daystar cradles likely help more than the timbrens). The cost is obviously both monetary, as well as requiring upkeep more so than timbrens/sumo springs.

Users who are viewing this thread