Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs Installed and tested. Ongoing.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So, I put a few miles on the truck today with no trailer and the truck is pretty much riding on the sumo springs. The gap is closer to 1/4” than 1” that sumo recommends.

I am not happy with the way it is currently. I would not recommend this setup the way it sits. It is too bumpy and “bottoms out” pretty much constantly. Softer than actually bottoming out on the stops but not the nice ride I’m used to. It’s not awful but not great.

I do want to see how they feel with the trailer hooked up but around town doesn’t seem like it’s going to be worth the trade off.

so, my solutions are
A: install the 1” rear lift that I’ve had sitting on the shelf in the garage for a while now
B: trim the sumo springs
C: throw them in the trash (joking)

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the most cost effective option, but another idea would be to reach out to sumo about a softer option to replace as bump stops for around town. Then you would functionality have a slightly taller bump stop that you can thread off and thread on the sumo when you need to tow.

Or, simply install and uninstall when needed. Possible but def not something I'd want to do often.

Edit: meant to add, for the softer option if they didn't make a shorter option you could cut it down so it's not as tall.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the most cost effective option, but another idea would be to reach out to sumo about a softer option to replace as bump stops for around town. Then you would functionality have a slightly taller bump stop that you can thread off and thread on the sumo when you need to tow.

Or, simply install and uninstall when needed. Possible but def not something I'd want to do often.

Edit: meant to add, for the softer option if they didn't make a shorter option you could cut it down so it's not as tall.
I don’t think it’s too stiff, I just think it’s too close to the axle. I think the 1” lift is the perfect solution

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s too stiff, I just think it’s too close to the axle. I think the 1” lift is the perfect solution
Honestly this is the biggest issue with them you are better off to have the sumo sitting on the axle than to have a gap that allows free spring movement then the hard impact…. Your one inch lift is a good solution but on bigger bumps you will hit and feel it

UglyViking

Reaction score
Agreed with the above. I think if it were all on or off it would be one thing, it's the harsh transition that gets you.

The1adman

Reaction score
So, I put a few miles on the truck today with no trailer and the truck is pretty much riding on the sumo springs. The gap is closer to 1/4” than 1” that sumo recommends.

I am not happy with the way it is currently. I would not recommend this setup the way it sits. It is too bumpy and “bottoms out” pretty much constantly. Softer than actually bottoming out on the stops but not the nice ride I’m used to. It’s not awful but not great.

I do want to see how they feel with the trailer hooked up but around town doesn’t seem like it’s going to be worth the trade off.

so, my solutions are
A: install the 1” rear lift that I’ve had sitting on the shelf in the garage for a while now
B: trim the sumo springs
C: throw them in the trash
Contact Sumo Spring. When I had spacing issues and was unhappy, they bent over backwards to help and resolved my problem.

el_barto

Reaction score
Interesting results. I hardly noticed any change with the blue front bumps, and there is similarly 1/4” or less gap between the axle and the bump stop. It’s exactly as I hoped, Progressive, where you don’t feel the initial engagement but then it stiffens as it squishes.

Related-ish (sorry for kind of hijacking your thread): I emailed thuren and asked:
a) about the longer bolts, which are not included (still trying to get the thread from them) and yes required if you have stock Power Wagon coils/shocks because you leave the stock bump stop spacers in place.
b) why they offer the black instead of blue for the front…and they didn’t answer the my question…they just said “the blue ones are a tad stiffer than the black ones “…which doesn’t even make any sense

Riddick

Reaction score
I am disappointed they do not offer the blue spring option for our trucks. I had a feeling the stiffer springs would be to much unless your hauling 10k plus loads on a daily basis, and you pretty much confirmed these need to be loaded full time.

Here are my thoughts on adding the 1 inch rear block. With no sumo springs you have 1.25 inches of rear sag with your trailer hooked up. So, after you add your 1 inch rear block you will barely be resting on the sumo spring with your trailer. This is not ideal in my opinion, the sumo springs need to be fully engaged for the best ride comfort. If its barely engaged the truck will ride pretty harsh on bumps....... basically you want the sumo springs to not be engaged or fully engaged.

I would see if they will make a blue set of springs and request them to be about 1/4 - 3/8" shorter.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
No…they had the ”grade 8 gold” kinda finish
Interesting results. I hardly noticed any change with the blue front bumps, and there is similarly 1/4” or less gap between the axle and the bump stop. It’s exactly as I hoped, Progressive, where you don’t feel the initial engagement but then it stiffens as it squishes.

Related-ish (sorry for kind of hijacking your thread): I emailed thuren and asked:
a) about the longer bolts, which are not included (still trying to get the thread from them) and yes required if you have stock Power Wagon coils/shocks because you leave the stock bump stop spacers in place.
b) why they offer the black instead of blue for the front…and they didn’t answer the my question…they just said “the blue ones are a tad stiffer than the black ones “…which doesn’t even make any sense
D512CE34-8A45-4932-BC84-974CDE2958F4.jpeg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I am disappointed they do not offer the blue spring option for our trucks. I had a feeling the stiffer springs would be to much unless your hauling 10k plus loads on a daily basis, and you pretty much confirmed these need to be loaded full time.

Here are my thoughts on adding the 1 inch rear block. With no sumo springs you have 1.25 inches of rear sag with your trailer hooked up. So, after you add your 1 inch rear block you will barely be resting on the sumo spring with your trailer. This is not ideal in my opinion, the sumo springs need to be fully engaged for the best ride comfort. If its barely engaged the truck will ride pretty harsh on bumps....... basically you want the sumo springs to not be engaged or fully engaged.

I would see if they will make a blue set of springs and request them to be about 1/4 - 3/8" shorter.
I agree. Blues would probably be great.

As with most things, I’ll run it as-is for a while before I make a decision.

el_barto

Reaction score

Follow up answer here is the screws they include are M10-1.5 x 25mm. I measured my spacers as ~15/16” …so 50mm screws should do the trick.

He also corrected himself that the black ones are stiffer better for heavier Cummins engine and/or “smashing serious whoops at speed” (for the fronts)

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My 3500 has around 1,500-2,000 pounds in the bed all the time and my payload is 4,590. There is no noticeable squat with the AEV suspension and it rides quite comfortably for a lifted one-ton. If I dropped 800 pounds of tongue weight on the hitch I am not sure I would notice.
My payload is 3100lb and some change, for comparison sake, on my 2500. I would expect a 3500 to handle the payload better, so no surprise there. AEV suspension utilizes stock springs so no loss of payload there.

Weight in the bed and weight on the hitch “hits different” as the kids say. That’s why goosenecks and fifth wheels exist.

Picking up 2280lb of pool chemicals only squats the truck 1/2” but dropping 800lb on the hitch squats it 1.25”

00737031-AD31-4AE8-B659-68239A80EDDD.jpeg

Ocxd

Reaction score
OP I had sumos on my previous truck and cut a ring off. They cut super easy. It was the perfect solution for me since like you truck was riding literally on the sumos. With one ring cut I had an inch of clearance and had the towing help I wanted. Worth a shot, then you can trash em if not happy. Or then try the rear lift and you’ll have 2 inches of clearance and only need the sumos for very heavy loads.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I drove a bit more today, much further than the last time. I’m not sure if I am getting used to them, or they have softened up a bit after a few dozen miles of being bounced on.

Either way, I am much happier with them after putting a bunch more miles on them.

If I lift the truck 1” (I have been calling around looking for some 37 ATIIIs) then I will probably space the sumos down to about a 3/4” gap with a simple spacer most likely welded to the top plate of the kit.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For those of you following along: an unexpected bonus. I think the sumo springs have “fixed” the power hop/ wheel hop thing that these trucks do out back.

There is a red light that has a sloppy railroad crossing after it and I always get loose on it. But not today. Always get stuck at the light and have the wheel hop but this time the suspension was much better feeling.

I now have 200 miles on them and I’m pretty darn happy with them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread