Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Def System See Dealer message

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Right you are. However, some of this stuff is just due to the manufacturer being sloppy. For example it took ten years for someone at Chrysler to figure out that the service and owners manual information for the wheel stud torque on duallies was wrong. However I agree these trucks are really complex today. Having started my working career as a licensed mechanic I always worked on my own vehicles as much as possible. These days I am pretty well limited to basic maintenance. Probably just as well as I am getting too old for the heavy stuff anyway. :cool:
The problem is with all manufactures but i agree.

AFF

Reaction score
I got this Def see dealer message for a couple days and now it's not come back after about 10 starts. Is that normal? I have 3,900kms and it said in 234kms you'd be a 8kms per hour. I probably only put on 30kms since.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I got this Def see dealer message for a couple days and now it's not come back after about 10 starts. Is that normal? I have 3,900kms and it said in 234kms you'd be a 8kms per hour. I probably only put on 30kms since.
If it disappeared then the fault it was seeing corrected its self

Reactions: AFF

ofishl1

Reaction score
Well 2 days into the brand new 23 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cummins today at 150 miles got the Service Def System.. so apparently this issue is bleeding into the 2023s as well... all 90% highway miles driven to get the break in done to get to towing sooner, tried disconnecting both batteries for a while to reset..no joy.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Well 2 days into the brand new 23 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cummins today at 150 miles got the Service Def System.. so apparently this issue is bleeding into the 2023s as well... all 90% highway miles driven to get the break in done to get to towing sooner, tried disconnecting both batteries for a while to reset..no joy.
Probably a bad DEF pump...

Warranty

Hallens in all brands with DEF.

ofishl1

Reaction score
Had 3 diesels with def, not an an issue with any, pure luck? maybe…this stuff is made by man or machine and flaws get thru QC every day…just did not realize this message was a common report for 2500 owners

sstoner911

Reaction score
Had 3 diesels with def, not an an issue with any, pure luck? maybe…this stuff is made by man or machine and flaws get thru QC every day…just did not realize this message was a common report for 2500 owners
Out of the hundreds of thousands sold... not to common.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Bad def pump..right off the lot aye?
Likely a bad sensor or something but with how crap every brand is with DEF even the transports its not uncommon so i would not get too worked up about it that is what warranty is for

ofishl1

Reaction score
Likely a bad sensor or something but with how crap every brand is with DEF even the transports its not uncommon so i would not get too worked up about it that is what warranty is for
Roger that, figured a def issue would be further down the road is all...and thats why we buy extended wrrntys on our vehicles, just on our RZR alone saved us $6000 out of pocket.. defective tranny out of wrrnty, defective diff out wrrnty, $100 deduct ..on our way, this brain fart just stalls my highway mileage build up quest to hit 500 so we can tow, hopefully its an OBD reset and were good to go..we will see.

kenb1060

Reaction score
My 2019 3500 just started this yesterday. Only has 29K miles on her. I did just have the injection pump recall done about 100 miles back. DEF tanks reads half. It is about where I would expect it to be from last tank fill. I never let it go to far past a half tank. Having a vehicle that will go to limp mode and limit you to 5MPH is a major Safety issue in my mind. I wonder if anyone has ever sued over this since it is an EPA thing and not a functional operation thing. Class Action??????

ofishl1

Reaction score
Just a follow up to Jun 18 post on "SDS" message on the EVIC, I kept running it around the local freeway in my burg, and after the countdown ran for 18 miles the Service Def message disappeared from the EVIC and now at 1500 miles has not returned.
Assuming there was a burp in the system,....... to kenb's above I had the same happen with DEF tank between 1/4 and 1/2 tank same message, stop the truck, wait for resets.. started it and it reported "empty tank", "stuck float assumed", filled it and its been fine....pinged Ram Cares on the Forum and the reply narrative was that the gauge reading near 1/4 and or above 1/4 tank is subjective to when the message will make its grand entrance in the EVIC...... and I take it as don't trust it below 1/2 tank and as many have said carry a couple gallons if towing far between possible DEF stations. Based on what Ram Cares said they "know" the reading is a generality and a Class Action would be as effective as trying to beat a rattlesnake to death with a twinkie...

kenb1060

Reaction score
Just a follow up to Jun 18 post on "SDS" message on the EVIC, I kept running it around the local freeway in my burg, and after the countdown ran for 18 miles the Service Def message disappeared from the EVIC and now at 1500 miles has not returned.
Assuming there was a burp in the system,....... to kenb's above I had the same happen with DEF tank between 1/4 and 1/2 tank same message, stop the truck, wait for resets.. started it and it reported "empty tank", "stuck float assumed", filled it and its been fine....pinged Ram Cares on the Forum and the reply narrative was that the gauge reading near 1/4 and or above 1/4 tank is subjective to when the message will make its grand entrance in the EVIC...... and I take it as don't trust it below 1/2 tank and as many have said carry a couple gallons if towing far between possible DEF stations. Based on what Ram Cares said they "know" the reading is a generality and a Class Action would be as effective as trying to beat a rattlesnake to death with a twinkie...
I filled the tank and now the warning alarm has gone and not returned. Will keep a close eye on it. I wonder if the low tank at 1/2 level and the 100 degree temps we have been having may have caused it. Seems good now. As far as the class action, you are probably right. Unless someone dies from it going into limp mode the suits and politicians wont do a thing. Thanks for the reply.

ShaneG

Reaction score
I have a 2015 3500 6.7 Dually Longhorn and I just got this message this weekend. I was down state and have 50 miles left. It has 70K miles on it so of course no warranty, and all I did was fill the DEF tank, crazy. One would think for the amount of $ I paid for this truck, this wouldn't be an issue that will render the truck useless @RamCares.

flan

Reaction score
I have a 2015 3500 6.7 Dually Longhorn and I just got this message this weekend. I was down state and have 50 miles left. It has 70K miles on it so of course no warranty, and all I did was fill the DEF tank, crazy. One would think for the amount of $ I paid for this truck, this wouldn't be an issue that will render the truck useless @RamCares.
Try draining and refilling with fresh def, if that don’t work pull the injector and check for crystallization.

ShaneG

Reaction score
Drained the def and replaced with Blue def, no change. Trying to remove the injector but the bolts have seen a better day and currently have 1 rounded off and 1 broken smh.

ofishl1

Reaction score
Some have had success by disconnecting both batteries, let every sensor go dead, then reconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread