Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Def System See Dealer message

DerKomisar

Reaction score
Well my truck has been stuck at the dealer waiting on this part for a month now. The service guy keeps saying the part is expected Monday and then it gets moved back a week. He now has a bunch of these trucks on the lot with failed DEF systems. I am first in line but the part keeps getting delayed. @RamCares can you shed any light on this situation? The dealership service guy seems like his hands are tied. What's happening? I would really like my truck back.
Update: Last week my service rep called and said they did some research. They tried to "re"-flash the ECU on the truck to get the Service DEF System message to clear. It did clear and they released the truck to me hoping the message would stay cleared. So far so good. I wish they had found this solution a few weeks earlier but I'm glad they tried. So the DEF sensing/heater/pump unit was NOT replaced. The code I was getting was pending P203E. No codes are present at this time. They left the ticket open for now in case the error returns; that way I keep my place in line for the parts that still haven't arrived. I will try to press for software and hardware versions to get a clearer picture of what changed. He talked as if the software version was the same and that it simply resets the emissions programming.

Vr6mole

Reaction score
Update: Last week my service rep called and said they did some research. They tried to "re"-flash the ECU on the truck to get the Service DEF System message to clear. It did clear and they released the truck to me hoping the message would stay cleared. So far so good. I wish they had found this solution a few weeks earlier but I'm glad they tried. So the DEF sensing/heater/pump unit was NOT replaced. The code I was getting was pending P203E. No codes are present at this time. They left the ticket open for now in case the error returns; that way I keep my place in line for the parts that still haven't arrived. I will try to press for software and hardware versions to get a clearer picture of what changed. He talked as if the software version was the same and that it simply resets the emissions programming.
How has it been?

My friend and I have been getting the "see dealer message" intermittently. He has been to the dealer twice, first time they said they flashed an update and the warning came on a week later. He is back there today and they said they can see no codes or anything and have no idea why the warning came on.

Mine has come on a few times over a 3 week period. No codes when I check AlfaOBD. I am hesitant to bother going to the dealer as it sounds like a waste of time.

DerKomisar

Reaction score
How has it been?

My friend and I have been getting the "see dealer message" intermittently. He has been to the dealer twice, first time they said they flashed an update and the warning came on a week later. He is back there today and they said they can see no codes or anything and have no idea why the warning came on.

Mine has come on a few times over a 3 week period. No codes when I check AlfaOBD. I am hesitant to bother going to the dealer as it sounds like a waste of time.

They had to replace the DEF (pump,heater,sensing) unit. It took 1 more re-flash before the part arrived at the dealer. No problem since the but the weather has been much warmer. I am concerned the problem will return next winter right after the truck rolls over 50k and the emissions warranty runs out. That said, there are potential rule changes in the works to make de-rate less painful but who knows if they will back-port the DEF de-rate changes to our trucks. It represents a captive cash market for dealers.

Here is the article about it:

Texasram1

Reaction score
I had this message pop up last weekend. Outside temp was 100F and DEF level was 3/4.
The message disappeared after 5 - 10 seconds... but now im scared to take a long trip.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Where can we find them? I've looked around and the few people I've talked to said they haven't cracked them yet.

Aketay

Reaction score
Current mileage: 365,476. Truck is at the dealership right now hopefully for a friendly visit. Service DEF came on and the countdown left me with 23 before I could get it there. Last February it froze solid and cost $330 to thaw and reprogram. Never had any other issues with it.

Aketay

Reaction score
Dealer called back with diagnosis. DEF pump and injector are good, connection between is erratic because of corrosion at injector plug. Two days wait for parts. Considering where I drive, I’m surprised it lasted this long.

Aketay

Reaction score
Got my truck back today. $48.35 pigtail corroded and needed replacement, cost $349.71 to get it back on the road. So I know have $680 invested in repairing the DEF system over 366,000 miles. $0.00186 per mile over its lifetime.

Attachments

• 369570C7-99C0-4B21-9BD2-D5D637B2D9C1.jpeg
    369570C7-99C0-4B21-9BD2-D5D637B2D9C1.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 25

thestuarts

Reaction score
In March 2023, Ram released service bulletin ZDF for “Service DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system see the dealer”. It affects approximately 62,000 vehicles in these categories:

2019-2022 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup
(D2) Ram 3500 Pickup
(DD) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis
(DP) Ram 4500/5500 Cab Chassis
NOTE: This campaign applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 6.7L Diesel engine (sales code ETL, ETM, ETN) and Emissions (sales code XAL).

My truck is affected. The remedy is to update the DCU (Dosing Control Unit) to version 57009309AA (or greater). This is just a firmware update; no parts are required.

Here is a link to service bulletin ZDF for more details.

John Jensen

Reaction score
In March 2023, Ram released service bulletin ZDF for “Service DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system see the dealer”. It affects approximately 62,000 vehicles in these categories:

(D2) Ram 3500 Pickup
NOTE: This campaign applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 6.7L Diesel engine (sales code ETL, ETM, ETN) and Emissions (sales code XAL).

My truck is affected. The remedy is to update the DCU (Dosing Control Unit) to version 57009309AA (or greater). This is just a firmware update; no parts are required.

Thanks for posting. Was not aware.
It has not shown up for my truck yet. I might be one that it excludes as I've not had the message appear.
Regardless, I downloaded it in case needed in the future. And I'll discuss it with my great Service Manager.

flan

Reaction score

(D2) Ram 3500 Pickup

I looked under customer satisfaction notices for my vin and had none listed.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I looked under customer satisfaction notices for my vin and had none l

I also don't see any listed on the Ram website for my truck.

However, I am an authorized aftermarket Ram repair facility. When I checked my truck with the wiTECH 2.0 software, it said there was an update for the DCU calibration per the service bulletin. I think the Ram web site is possibly lagging behind. If you are experiencing this error, take it to the dealer to see if the DCU calibration needs updating.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Was not aware.
It has not shown up for my truck yet. I might be one that it excludes as I've not had the message appear.
Regardless, I downloaded it in case needed in the future. And I'll discuss it with my great Service Manager.

Mine didn't show up on the website either. It only showed up in the wiTECH 2.0 software. Definitely have your service manager check the DCU module to see if it needs a calibration update.

Reaction score

(D2) Ram 3500 Pickup

I got a recall letter in the mail a couple days ago regarding this.

flan

Reaction score
What’s the story @RamCares? Will all owners receive this or just northern cold climate customers?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Recall number 5 on a two year old truck. Impressive.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Recalls are better than being left with the issue. Also with more garbage added to vehicles comes more issues so its really not surprising
Right you are. However, some of this stuff is just due to the manufacturer being sloppy. For example it took ten years for someone at Chrysler to figure out that the service and owners manual information for the wheel stud torque on duallies was wrong. However I agree these trucks are really complex today. Having started my working career as a licensed mechanic I always worked on my own vehicles as much as possible. These days I am pretty well limited to basic maintenance. Probably just as well as I am getting too old for the heavy stuff anyway. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread