Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Def System See Dealer message

MegaStro

Reaction score
Had the message Service Def System see dealer message pop up today while towing my camper home. Message stayed up for about 15-20 minutes then completely went away. Truck is a 2020 2500, 11K miles. I pickup it up Pre-Owned with 6500 miles on it. Since ownership for 1 month I’ve added 5 gallons of Platinum Blue Def and just did an oil change last week. Def tank is about 1/2 full. I’m still very new to diesel trucks and the def system and my question is should i be concerned or just press on and drive the truck as normal? The truck did not throw a check engine light and never ran funny or anything, temp was maybe 40 degrees outside.
Not sure what could be the issues but definitely quit throwing money away with the Platinum Blue Def! Just stick with regular Blue DEF.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on your comment, "but I read post after post regarding EGRs and DEF."? I read a lot of posts over several forums. I know there are a lot of complaints about DEF consumption, but I don't remember reading much about EGR and DEF problems.
Appreciate it - thanks
There are tons of threads on DEF problems mine has froze and froze and caused issues 2 times this month, also both times i was at the dealer they had 12+ trucks with DEF issues

John Jensen

Reaction score
There are tons of threads on DEF problems mine has froze and froze and caused issues 2 times this month, also both times i was at the dealer they had 12+ trucks with DEF issues
Thanks. Yes, I agree, I've read about a lot about those issues and agree it's a problem. However, it seems to be an issue only in cold climates and IMO an exclusive issue. Other than usage, I haven't read about DEF issues in temperate climates.

Riddick also said lots of EGR problems. I'm not aware of any. Would appreciate your comment on that? The more I know, the more I can prepare for (or against).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I agree, I've read about a lot about those issues and agree it's a problem. However, it seems to be an issue only in cold climates and IMO an exclusive issue. Other than usage, I haven't read about DEF issues in temperate climates.

Riddick also said lots of EGR problems. I'm not aware of any. Would appreciate your comment on that? The more I know, the more I can prepare for (or against).
EGR seems to just be the odd EGR valve nothing major… the DEF seemed to have a lot of sensor issues at one point where a complete pump was needed but the threads seemed to slow down on that now that there is a TSB about cristalization on the pump and the ultrasonic probes. I know a local guy who lost his truck for 4 months due to a pump issue and back order…. His truck was a loaded limited 3500 and they gave him a bottom of the barrel minivan as a loner lol

Riddick

Reaction score
I have contacted numerous shops and get the normal canned response "we should be able to tune the 22s in the near future".

I also contacted several tuner manufacturers (EFI Live, MM3, EZ Lynk), I only received a response from one of them which reads:

"Unfortunately at this stage EFILive does not support the 2022 Dodge ECM, there was a change made to the ECM to stop tuning which means the current software cannot tune this ECM. We are looking for solutions but have no time frame for resolution."

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just got a call from the dealer my tank crystalized from being frozen they want to charge me 500$ i am so pissed

Riddick

Reaction score
I just got a call from the dealer my tank crystalized from being frozen they want to charge me 500$ i am so pissed
Two things come to mind:
- If there is an active TSB for this how are they justifying charging you?
- Isn't your truck still under warranty??

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Two things come to mind:
- If there is an active TSB for this how are they justifying charging you?
- Isn't your truck still under warranty??
Yes it under warranty same with the dozen other trucks there that they are denying warranty on

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Makes you feel like going to the dealer and looping a rope around the tank and tying the rope to their front door and driving away. :mad:
You have no idea… then they had a salesman call me and ask if i was interested in upgrading….. he got more of an earful than he should have but he picked the wrong time to call lol

gimmie11s

Reaction score
You have no idea… then they had a salesman call me and ask if i was interested in upgrading….. he got more of an earful than he should have but he picked the wrong time to call lol

I'd be livid... it's an obvious pitch to get you to trade.

Wow... time for a new dealer!!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'd be livid... it's an obvious pitch to get you to trade.

Wow... time for a new dealer!!!
There are only 2 dealers and this one is the “better” one, I called FCA canada (same as ram cares) and they said nothing they can do but when i asked them they said i can delete it and still get my CP4 recall done which is what i may do instead of waiting till the recall gets done i will just have to load my tune in the dealers parking lot lol

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Should have asked the salesman if he would personally guarantee a working DEF system on the one he wanted to move you up to. :rolleyes:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Make ram offer a DEF delete that would be the only helpful thing you can do!
Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback. We will make sure to document accordingly.

Rob
Ram Cares

red

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback. We will make sure to document accordingly.

Rob
Ram Cares
Even a temporary delete would be of some help if repair parts aren't readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread