Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Def System See Dealer message

Raidercat

Reaction score
Had the message Service Def System see dealer message pop up today while towing my camper home. Message stayed up for about 15-20 minutes then completely went away. Truck is a 2020 2500, 11K miles. I pickup it up Pre-Owned with 6500 miles on it. Since ownership for 1 month I’ve added 5 gallons of Platinum Blue Def and just did an oil change last week. Def tank is about 1/2 full. I’m still very new to diesel trucks and the def system and my question is should i be concerned or just press on and drive the truck as normal? The truck did not throw a check engine light and never ran funny or anything, temp was maybe 40 degrees outside.

easye515

Reaction score
If I remember when that happened to me, it went away a couple times, then went into countdown mode. You need to take it to a dealer so they can re-flash the computer.

Raidercat

Reaction score
If I remember when that happened to me, it went away a couple times, then went into countdown mode. You need to take it to a dealer so they can re-flash the computer.
Ok thanks for the info I’ll make an appointment.

Raidercat

Reaction score
Following up on this post, went to the dealer today. Truck had no codes and has been fine since that Def warning see dealer message. Dealer said go drive the truck lol.

DerKomisar

Reaction score
Mine did this yesterday. 2019 2500. Keeping an eye on it in case I need to get to the dealer. Has been cold here lately so I was hoping it was the tank freezing and a good thaw would help.

Raidercat

Reaction score
Mine did this yesterday. 2019 2500. Keeping an eye on it in case I need to get to the dealer. Has been cold here lately so I was hoping it was the tank freezing and a good thaw would help.
Hope yours is good to go. Thinking back my def tank had Platinum Blue in it but I did not know about checking dates being a newbie.........it’s possible I could have grabbed some old stuff and put in the tank. I found some super fresh Blue Def and dumped that in there yesterday staying with the theme “the solution to pollution is dilution” lol.

John Jensen

Reaction score
FYI
An Edge CTS3 monitor will show your DEF % and the command for Def.
I monitor both of those. When I put in Walmart DEF, it showed 34%. DEF is normally 33%
When I added a gallon of distilled water, it read 26%. The DEF sensor will alert at 22%.

Raidercat

Reaction score
FYI
I monitor both of those. When I put in Walmart DEF, it showed 34%. DEF is normally 33%
When I added a gallon of distilled water, it read 26%. The DEF sensor will alert at 22%.
Sounds like an investment I need to make thank you!

DerKomisar

Reaction score
Well the "150 miles to 5 mph" countdown started on mine. My OBD2 program reports a "pending" code P203E. Google says this is an erratic DEF level sensor. Seems this problem can happen when there is a large swing in temperature (exactly what happened Tuesday). The DEF tank can freeze and not thaw quick enough . It is described in TSB 18-034-21. Now I need to find a heated garage overnight; then do a reset drive cycle. Except getting a +39F day in MN this time of year is unlikely. Will try anyhow. At least the DEF tank and sensor are listed on the 5y/50k emissions warranty. Presently 37k on my 2019 2500.

DerKomisar

Reaction score
Well my truck has been stuck at the dealer waiting on this part for a month now. The service guy keeps saying the part is expected Monday and then it gets moved back a week. He now has a bunch of these trucks on the lot with failed DEF systems. I am first in line but the part keeps getting delayed. @RamCares can you shed any light on this situation? The dealership service guy seems like his hands are tied. What's happening? I would really like my truck back.

Darmichar

Reaction score
Well my truck has been stuck at the dealer waiting on this part for a month now. The service guy keeps saying the part is expected Monday and then it gets moved back a week. He now has a bunch of these trucks on the lot with failed DEF systems. I am first in line but the part keeps getting delayed. @RamCares can you shed any light on this situation? The dealership service guy seems like his hands are tied. What's happening? I would really like my truck back.
I work in this area on the machine side. The global chip shortage is causing back orders of a lot of DEF sensor/manifolds used in aftertreatments.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Greetings,
We would like to look into this situation further for you and see if there is any opportunity to assist. Please feel free to send our team a private message with additional details.

Rob
Ram Cares

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Greetings,
We would like to look into this situation further for you and see if there is any opportunity to assist. Please feel free to send our team a private message with additional details.

Rob
Ram Cares
Make ram offer a DEF delete that would be the only helpful thing you can do!

sstoner911

Reaction score
FYI
John, is that part of your tune or is that something the CTS3 can do as a stand alone unit?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Make ram offer a DEF delete that would be the only helpful thing you can do!
Yes! The first responder vehicles do not de-rate. They warn only! This should be available on the 3500s( I am biased) since they are used more often as commercial units.

Nothing like getting the countdown. And if you hundreds of miles away from anywhere - it could really suck! I got lucky and was still close to home, but I can tell you @RamCares if my wife had to sleep in the truck over night, FCA would not like her phone call the next day!

Attachments

• 20220220_122802.jpg
    20220220_122802.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 81

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes! The first responder vehicles do not de-rate. They warn only! This should be available on the 3500s( I am biased) since they are used more often as commercial units.

Nothing like getting the countdown. And if you hundreds of miles away from anywhere - it could really suck! I got lucky and was still close to home, but I can tell you @RamCares if my wife had to sleep in the truck over night, FCA would not like her phone call the next day!
I have been told thats not true anymore the first responders will get the derate message too

John Jensen

Reaction score
John, is that part of your tune or is that something the CTS3 can do as a stand alone unit?
Shawn,
Those are PIDs that the CTS3 pulls from the truck. Tuning only affects them if the tune turns something off. For example, if the tune turns off the DEF system, the CTS3 can no longer read % DEF, the DEF command or the DEF tank level gauge.
The tune on my 2016 1500 now turns off the DEF system. My 2020 3500 6.7 tune (emissions intact) leaves the DEF system working, which I like.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
At least the 19-21 owners have the option to pursue aftermarket tuning to solve this. Everyone keeps claiming how the emissions systems are more reliable on the newer trucks but I'm not sold. The DPFs seem reliable but I read post after post regarding EGRs and DEF.

Here's to hoping someone cracks the 22 ECM.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
At least the 19-21 owners have the option to pursue aftermarket tuning to solve this. Everyone keeps claiming how the emissions systems are more reliable on the newer trucks but I'm not sold. The DPFs seem reliable but I read post after post regarding EGRs and DEF.

There are deletes for the 22 already

John Jensen

Reaction score

Could you elaborate on your comment, "but I read post after post regarding EGRs and DEF."? I read a lot of posts over several forums. I know there are a lot of complaints about DEF consumption, but I don't remember reading much about EGR and DEF problems.
Appreciate it - thanks

Users who are viewing this thread