Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

service air suspension

Capt. Derek

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with the air suspension the 2500? Message came up to service air suspension and now not able to adjust air suspension at all.
On my 2020 Ram 3500 my airline just came off and apparently burned out the compressor, this on day one of a 4000 mile trip we are going on

dstonic

Reaction score
Update: Yesterday again for about the third or fourth time in the last 6 months randomly the air suspension warning came on at a start up. Not trailering or heavy load, just normal daily use. When this happened a regular restart would not clear the code but if the truck sits for at least 15 minutes between restarts the warning would go away with no other action taken. Yesterday was different, so I planned on getting to the dealership this morning at opening to have them scan the truck and was preparing to be without my truck again for another 5-10 days. Just for kicks I checked the fuse box for the loose fuses as the other posts on this thread recommend. Sure enough every single fuse in the box was loose, (not just air suspension). I pushed all of them back in to seat them properly and restarted the truck, but had no change… so I gave it one last try, I fully removed both f50 and f87 fuses for about 30 seconds, reseated them, restarted the truck, and then warning was gone and air suspension works fine. I put the suspension through multiple cycles with no issues. I will update if the warning comes back, but for those out there with this issue, try this procedure before wasting a trip to the dealership! Has to be a vibration / heating and contraction issue with these fuse boxes, because I have been in the fuse box before and they were not this loose from the factory. As for the ongoing issue, I know sometimes the modules just need a full reboot, like all tech, things lock up and need to be restarted to clear up the issue. Maybe there is an issue with my air suspension control module though and it will give up completely just out of warranty. (Will be my luck). But because every time I bring it to the dealer and tell them about this issue they say since the light is gone they can’t do anything for me because there are no stored codes.
Just got the same issue on my 2021 Ram 3500 dually Limited, what the hey!?!? Read all the post and thank all for doing so. Checked all fuses and same as all of you...some were 1\16" up until I pressed them down all the way down. Also have noticed my backup screen viewed on the display does not show the green and yellow markets as you turn your steering wheel anymore.... Confused by that now...is this a connected issue? Also switching from front, surround , cab rear view, gate view are not reacting properly.......one last thing...recall someone posted that they parked on a very uneven surface and they air suspension service needed afterwards..... Funny, we too parked like this three days straight.

dstonic

Reaction score
Just got the same issue on my 2021 Ram 3500 dually Limited, what the hey!?!? Read all the post and thank all for doing so. Checked all fuses and same as all of you...some were 1\16" up until I pressed them down all the way down. Also have noticed my backup screen viewed on the display does not show the green and yellow markets as you turn your steering wheel anymore.... Confused by that now...is this a connected issue? Also switching from front, surround , cab rear view, gate view are not reacting properly.......one last thing...recall someone posted that they parked on a very uneven surface and they air suspension service needed afterwards..... Funny, we too parked like this three days straight.
Update....removed relay and let sit for a few minutes and then re-installed...all is good now. Hope my post helps.

blauplow

Reaction score
I just took my ram in for this, and was told there is a star case open s1917000002 Rev A, that was released 4/8/21. they are telling dealers not to do anything and that they are working on a program fix. the procedure is to fuse F50 and then reinstall to reset the ASCM.

This seems like total BS, how can it take 3+ months to figure out a program change?

dstonic

Reaction score
Not related...but there is a recall (my truck included) to change out the lugs. Heads up everyone....check your truck. Thanks

Jody Pell

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 with only 5000 miles is in again for the 3rd time due to air suspension issues and a dead pedal issue also. For my air suspension it started out just flashing service air suspension once or twice and then the warning light shuts off. Now it also has a code for over temp and over weight. My advice for anyone with this problem is to video it and bring it to a dealer. They accused me of overloading my truck and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Thank the Lord I took video of the problem when it was happening prior with the dead pedal issue. They have many problems with these systems acting up.

nvpilot

Reaction score
+1 for checking the fuses. I tow our 19k lb fifth wheel regularly and the service air suspension came on for the second time in five months recently after disabling the air suspension to unhitch. The error didn’t clear after a few restarts like the first time. I checked fuses 05, 50, and 87, which are related to the air suspension according the the manual, and reseated them. At least 50 and 87 (both micro) went in about 1/16” more than how they came from the factory. I was surprised this is all it took, but the error did not come back on on the next restart. I thought it was going to be more serious, but thanks to this forum for the time being I’ve avoided yet another trip to the dealer.
I made an account just to thank you (and other contributors to this thread) for the solution to this trouble light.

It came on today on my 2020 3500 DRW, so I panicked and called a dealer (no appointment for 3 weeks). We have a long road trip starting Wednesday, google led me here, I followed these instructions, and it cleared the light. :)

Thanks again!

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
I made an account just to thank you (and other contributors to this thread) for the solution to this trouble light.

It came on today on my 2020 3500 DRW, so I panicked and called a dealer (no appointment for 3 weeks). We have a long road trip starting Wednesday, google led me here, I followed these instructions, and it cleared the light. :)

Thanks again!
I’m glad it helped. Welcome to the forum.

Jody Pell

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 with only 5000 miles is in again for the 3rd time due to air suspension issues and a dead pedal issue also. For my air suspension it started out just flashing service air suspension once or twice and then the warning light shuts off. Now it also has a code for over temp and over weight. My advice for anyone with this problem is to video it and bring it to a dealer. They accused me of overloading my truck and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Thank the Lord I took video of the problem when it was happening prior with the dead pedal issue. They have many problems with these systems acting up.
Update to this mine was a ground fault, wire harness issues and one side had no nitrogen in it and had to be recharged. They still have not fixed my dead pedal issue

jmcdermo

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500, 19,600 miles, ~10k miles towing. Got the message today, but we knew what it was right away. Had the bed lowered to connect the trailer (1100 lb tongue weight), equal-I-zer WDH. As we were pulling out and the truck was raising itself to alt ride height we heard a loud noise and the icon came on, checked Messages and it said to service air suspension immediately. Turns out the right rear air spring failed. Now we’re 2000 miles from home 10 days into a 30 day RV vacation a year in the planning and the part is back ordered, est arrival 2-weeks. Net result, one ruined vacation and a very unhappy spouse.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500, 19,600 miles, ~10k miles towing. Got the message today, but we knew what it was right away. Had the bed lowered to connect the trailer (1100 lb tongue weight), equal-I-zer WDH. As we were pulling out and the truck was raising itself to alt ride height we heard a loud noise and the icon came on, checked Messages and it said to service air suspension immediately. Turns out the right rear air spring failed. Now we’re 2000 miles from home 10 days into a 30 day RV vacation a year in the planning and the part is back ordered, est arrival 2-weeks. Net result, one ruined vacation and a very unhappy spouse.

Not to rub salt in an open wound, but that's one more reason to run a 3500 (with air if you like) or stick with non-air on the 2500 and add aftermarket.

I hope you get things sorted out soon and can still enjoy some part of your remaining trip.

5655dodgeramit

Reaction score
Double check your fuse box and make sure all your fuses are pressed in. I think the air suspension was number 87 or 97 (I don’t remember). Had the same until I pressed it all in.
Found all of my fuses needed to be pressed in. Before pressing in, I pulled the ones associated with Air Suspension to verify the fuses were good; no bad fuses found. Pressed them full in along with all the others. Started the truck and the air bag system worked again. Tested by pressing the Aleternate Height switch that cycled the air bag system. Problem fixed for now. Wonder why the fuses are not fully inserted from the factory ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Found all of my fuses needed to be pressed in. Before pressing in, I pulled the ones associated with Air Suspension to verify the fuses were good; no bad fuses found. Pressed them full in along with all the others. Started the truck and the air bag system worked again. Tested by pressing the Aleternate Height switch that cycled the air bag system. Problem fixed for now. Wonder why the fuses are not fully inserted from the factory ?

As you probably discovered, this is a common issue and called out in many threads discussing strange, intermittent, or hard to find electrical gremlins.

Grounds, fuses.

Nick

Reaction score
good to know info. This is the number one thing I've been wondering about since I got mine 4.5 months ago. No problems now with our 13k fiver as its a light weight for this truck, but we full time RV and we plan in buying a 48' luxe fiver next year and the gvwr on that is 25,999, yes, just under the 26k. So that tells me pin weight will be +or - 5200 lbs. So that's a pretty good chunk of weight. I don't take much stock in pl weight as that would be my max with out all my tools and boxes and hitch, so more than likely ill be about 6-800 over pl but I'll be good on gvwr and gcwr and 9750 rear axle rating. I'm just wondering how the rear air suspension is going to handle 6000lbs. At what point will it throw the code and when it does what happens, does it disable all together or just lift back up to normal riding height, or worse, the unknown. one would assume if the axle is rated for 9750, that means 9750 is the weakest link back there, so the bags SHOULD be able to hold 9750. Could a would a should a, the unknowns, erghhhhh
I would think that a dually's air wold be calibrated for a heavier weight .

owdiss78

Reaction score
My 2022 is having this message to service air suspension and it has 900 miles never pulled after reading some stuff I will try before I go to dealer. So frustrating at 2 weeks today this came up

dstonic

Reaction score
My 2022 is having this message to service air suspension and it has 900 miles never pulled after reading some stuff I will try before I go to dealer. So frustrating at 2 weeks today this came up
Hi, I had the same thing on my 2021 3500 Limited dialysis. Kind of nerve racking I know what you mean. I for got which relay I pulled out of the fuse box, but left it out about 30 minutes and it cleared it and has never done it again. I will try bc and look back in my post to see which one…. But if I didn’t post, I’ll try and find out for you.

owdiss78

Reaction score
Hi, I had the same thing on my 2021 3500 Limited dialysis. Kind of nerve racking I know what you mean. I for got which relay I pulled out of the fuse box, but left it out about 30 minutes and it cleared it and has never done it again. I will try bc and look back in my post to see which one…. But if I didn’t post, I’ll try and find out for you.

Thank you I believe it’s fuse 50 and 87 also I think f5 for the compressor. I will repost if this clears it. Everything seams to me working fine so idk what would be wrong at all

Users who are viewing this thread