Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

service air suspension

owdiss78

Reaction score
Just found this forum after a search on "Service Air Suspension System" in preparation for a meeting with my local RAM service department 31OCT22. They've been working on this for 7 months on my 21 3500. In March they cleared the codes - the problem came back. In May they cleared the codes - problem came back. In June they cleared the codes and ordered a compressor. That finally arrived in August and was replaced - the problem returned. They then ordered the ASCM which got replaced in Oct. Drove the truck 3 miles to home. Went out a few hours later and the problem returned. Drove straight to the dealer 30 minutes prior to closing and requested a meeting Monday (31OCT22) to see what the game plan is. Some time back I was told mine was an isolated incident. This forum shot that all to hell! What pisses me off is that the Service Air Suspension warning comes on every 3 seconds messing up your display, screws up the backup camera and is a pain in the ear when you're on a phone call. (Haven't towed anything)

Sorry you going through that. So far on my 3500 it’s working great but on my 2500 I had nothing but problems was at dealer 4 times for that kinda stuff in the 3.5 months I owned it. In your case I’d be demanding then to replace lines and every single component for the air suspension.

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to find out. What's left of the entire system to replace? I will say the dealer is nice about the whole thing ( ordered the truck from them) and I've been patient but I need the system to be 100% reliable.

ylwrseoftx

Reaction score
has anyone looked into changing out the stock system with an aftermarket one that gives you more control? I have it on my 3500 and I hate it bc it rides on the airbags as opposed to the leaf springs, making for a stupid rough ride when empty. like way more rough than a 1 ton should ride. I'd love to be able to adjust the air to the bags from the cab up or down as needed for when I'm hauling or when I'm empty. not sure about brands or how that would affect current stock set up since it's all tied in to the computer

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
So the update after the meeting is that the service tech (20 years experience) has no clue as to why this keeps happening. The codes that keep repeating are "short to ground" and "short to battery." They are going to call RAM to get authorization to replace all the connectors on the harness. (to replace the entire harness itself would involve tearing apart the entire inside, dash, seats, everything) I do give credit to the dealer, they are trying to make this right. But like I told them, there's only 25k miles on my '21 and I can't trust an intermittent alarm if I'm towing. But this is on RAM to solve. If replacing the connectors doesn't work and the problem persists we're talking a new truck. They've been working on this for 7 months. The good news is that with fuse 50 pulled I now have a quiet ride with no alarm!

Sboushele

Reaction score
Yesterday at 8:39 PM
I am having problems with the factory air suspension too. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 with the factory rear air suspension that I bought new. The truck has a one inch spacer lift under the rear airbag with a bracket that positions the ride height controller as if there was no lift so the airbag will function as stock. The lift kit was installed around 2-4k miles, very soon after I bought it.
I see others getting help from dealers and covered under warranty but nothing for me, here is my story.

I brought in in for repair with the air suspension at 16814 miles because of the common one side sitting lower than the other, 2" in my case. This problem occurs over night and dealer couldn't find anything wrong an sent me on my way.
IMG_3565.jpg

16814 miles.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

2nd time I brought in in for service was at 24985 miles and they attempted to fix with a software update/reprogram.
24985 miles.jpg

3rd time I brought it in for service was at 35113 miles where this dealer said the air bag would not be covered under warranty and that it needed replaced. Since this air bag was just leaking down over night I didn't replace as everything else functioned normally.

35113 miles.jpg

35113.1 miles.jpg

At around 41000 miles we were on a trip and had the passenger side air bag blow out (huge explosion) causing the rear suspension to ride on the bump stops. we pulled the air compressor fuse and limped the truck back home. Meanwhile while we were on the trip I began calling around to find parts and schedule to have both air bags replaced so everything would new and not have anymore issues. I found parts at Larry H miller, they had one in stock and the other in 3 days but couldn't get me in for 2 weeks. I called Young and the could get me in in 3-4 days but didn't have the part available for a week or so. In order to get my truck on the road asap I purchased parts from one dealership and had the replaced at another BIG MISTAKE!!!!!
Here is why.
Young Ram is who said my air bags needed replaced so they put new ones on 10/27-28 that I purchased from Larry H Miller. My wife picks up the truck on Friday 10/28 and drive with a single axle trailer (7x14) with a 2 seat UTV on it, maybe 3500 lbs. No problems getting there, but Monday 10/31 both new airbags blow out (huge explosion again) with no trailer behind the truck. Here are the receipts.

41501 miles.jpg

Air bag purchase.jpg

Now the truck is in Colorado at Prestige Ram and they did a diagnosis and said both rear air bags and compressor need replaced just 3 days later. The truck is still sitting there today because the new total to replace everything is 5k after I just spent $2400.00 for 2 new bags.
Prestige said they cant cover it under warranty.
Young said nothing they can do but give me my $400 dollars for install back.
Larry H miller doesn't know what to do either because they supplied the parts and didn't work on the truck.
I'm not sure if Young even installed the bags correctly because they demonstrated that by not even bolt them down correctly. Did they over pressurize the system? If there was an air compressor problem they would have caught it then with the scan OR did they cause the air compressor to go out by loose air lines?

I thing Young (dealership) has a responsibility to take care of this because they blame the 1" lift for causing the original air bag not to be covered under factory warranty.
1. If so, they shouldn't have took my money or touched my truck because of the 1" lift and repaired it.
2. They never once said that the new air bags warranty would be voided by the lift.
3. I didn't sign anything saying that.
4. They originally diagnosed it and that's what I replaced.
5. They blame the parts that are OE from another dealer.

Here is a picture showing missing bolts from the install by Young.
Missing hardware.jpeg

New blown air bags.
New bags blown.jpeg

I don't know what to do now.

jmcdermo

Reaction score
Contact FCA directly. If you are persistent and navigate the phone tree successfully you’ll get to a place where you can lodges a complaint about warranty service. They’ll open a case number and assign a customer care advocate/ambassador to your case. They will contact the dealers involved on your behalf and can make things happen. In our case, unfortunately, they weren’t able to speed up the repair process, but they did eventually reimburse us for the cost of hauling our trailer home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sboushele

Reaction score
Case # 84624564
Looks like Ram DOESN'T Care, my case was closed because they couldn't do anything about it to make the dealership pay. NEVER buy parts from one dealer to have another dealer install, they will not warranty it. I'm screwed and the added cost of 5k is on me to fix after I just spent $2400. Young Ram in Morgan UT is not responsible for any thing, they diagnose, "fix" and three days later broke again. Blame lift, said parts might have been defective and will not warranty. This is total B.S.

Reaction score
i keep getting the service air suspension message only on cold morning and usually a restart of the truck will clear it but i dont think thats normal. has this happend to anyone else?

Tubastew

Reaction score
So the update after the meeting is that the service tech (20 years experience) has no clue as to why this keeps happening. The codes that keep repeating are "short to ground" and "short to battery." They are going to call RAM to get authorization to replace all the connectors on the harness. (to replace the entire harness itself would involve tearing apart the entire inside, dash, seats, everything) I do give credit to the dealer, they are trying to make this right. But like I told them, there's only 25k miles on my '21 and I can't trust an intermittent alarm if I'm towing. But this is on RAM to solve. If replacing the connectors doesn't work and the problem persists we're talking a new truck. They've been working on this for 7 months. The good news is that with fuse 50 pulled I now have a quiet ride with no alarm!
Get it fixed?

Texasram1

Reaction score
This message just popped up for me. ‘22 2500 limited w 8000 miles.
Per this thread I checked the fuse box, and all of them were 1/16” from being fully seated. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope the message doesnt come back!

Tubastew

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2020 3500. When new, my service air compressor message came on with 850 miles on the clock. I was on the way to Colorado from Louisiana with my 5ver in tow when the message displayed. It would come on and go off repeatedly. I got an appointment at Larry Miller to fix it. Got it back a week later and the message was off. Forty miles from home it started again. On, off repeat. Took it to Matt Bowers in Baton Rouge. They had it 4 times and 55 days total before it got fixed. When I brought it in the first time the found a non standard jumper wire that had been installed. We can only assume it was installed by Larry Miller in Colorado. At any rate Matt Bower finally brought in a Ram engineer and they found the main wiring harness had been improperly routed at the factory and was sandwiched between the frame and body. After 850 miles, the wires had been crushed and were grounding out. They replaced the harness and everything was good- - until last week with 60k miles. The difference this time was the message came on but stayed on. Another symptom was I couldn’t activate my cargo camera by pressing the button on the control panel. I also noticed the guide lines were not present while backing.
I pressed in all my fuses most fuses and relays could be pressed in just a little. When I restarted the truck, I got the message again. I then pulled the fuses and checked continuity on each fuse and all was good. I reseated the fuses, started the truck and the message was gone. I also regained full functionality of the camera system .

Texasram1

Reaction score
Pushed all my fuses in and today I get this. Yesterday it just popped up once and the icon stayed illuminated.

Tubastew

Reaction score
Pushed all my fuses in and today I get this. Yesterday it just popped up once and the icon stayed illuminated.

That’s exactly what mine did after 850 miles. Mine was because the wire for the air suspension system was crushed in the main wiring harness. You might consider pulling the 05, 50, and 87 fuses completely then reinstalling them. But it sounds like a grounding problem or short. I would then check every connector I could get to in order to ensure they are seated properly. Next on the list would be a service appointment.

Texasram1

Reaction score
That’s exactly what mine did after 850 miles. Mine was because the wire for the air suspension system was crushed in the main wiring harness. You might consider pulling the 05, 50, and 87 fuses completely then reinstalling them. But it sounds like a grounding problem or short. I would then check every connector I could get to in order to ensure they are seated properly. Next on the list would be a service appointment.

Thanks man. Fuses pulled, waited a few and reinstalled. Fingers crossed…

Texasram1

Reaction score
if this persists, can I yank one, two or all three of the fuses to stop the alert message from popping up?

I imagine the dealer wont be able to get me in right away and I dont want to hear that chime if i dont have to!

Also fwiw, alternate trailer height still works fine.

Last edited:

mlong1123

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with the air suspension the 2500? Message came up to service air suspension and now not able to adjust air suspension at all.
Just bought a RAM 2500 and am having the same issue. Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update but the dealer had some delay issues. On March 8th they replaced connectors XY220A and XY403A. I tried to tell them that I doubt that would work since a "short" is more than likely on any one of the 1000 wires in the truck. But that's what the "experts back east" told them to do. (to replace the entire harness would involve tearing the entire dash out) So they did this on March 8th. I drove the truck on Friday March 10th and the problem came back immediately dinging once every 3-5 seconds. This time I took a video of it happening! Took it back to the dealer and showed the video to the Service Mgr and the owner (who we had already talked to) and told the Service Mgr we were done with service and we would be talking to the owner. So, the owner is looking for a replacement truck. Now in fairness the owner is very cooperative, even offered me a loaner but I told him the truck was still drivable as long as I pull fuse 50 to avoid the constant dinging. RAM Care is also involved since I started a history with them after the second attempt to fix it replacing the control module. The compressor has also been replaced. The tech told me that after they change the connectors the "guys back east" have no clue what to do next. If we end up ordering a replacement there is a CDI pricing that's basically employee pricing and that ends up being cheaper than what the dealer can get one for. But we'll see what they come up with. I told the owner I don't care how long it takes to get a replacement truck they just have to find a Laramie with all the options that I have. If they can't I told him to bump it up to a Limited. We'll see. I did look at a Ford but I've been driving RAM for 30 plus years. I did tell teh owner to send the truck back to RAM and have them use it as a training opportunity for quality control!

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
if this persists, can I yank one, two or all three of the fuses to stop the alert message from popping up?

I imagine the dealer wont be able to get me in right away and I dont want to hear that chime if i dont have to!

Also fwiw, alternate trailer height still works fine.
If you pull fuse 50 that will stop the constant "dinging" from the alarm. You'll still get the alarm message but only on startup then it goes away but you will get a quit ride. (the service tech showed me this) You will lose the backup lines if you have the rear camera though but otherwise the truck will run fine.

Users who are viewing this thread