Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Update to my project. So instead of getting new Key Fobs, I followed the advice from @snakedoctor00 and @H3LZSN1P3R and soldered switches onto my tradesman key fob in the locations of the tailgate release and remote start buttons. I enabled remote start in alphaOBD. I now have working tailgate release and the truck horn sounds when remote start button is hit. Just have to wire the hood ajar switch and all should be in working order. Even got some silicone covers for Fobs with correct button labels from Amazon. Including the hood latch and tailgate damper it was less $100 to get both added and no trips to dealer.
Hmm im gonna have to look for the key covers i never thought of that i was gonna make up some stickers with my friends crikit cutter.

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
Well, it was a success. Remote start and tailgate open added to my tradesman key fob. Soldered the buttons on, activated in Alpha OBD and added the hood ajar switch. Works like a charm!

Timothydheath

Reaction score

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Also here for $99.95 + 10% off coupon at checkout (coupon code REM10). $2.99 First Class Mail (3-5 days) or $7.98 Prioity Mail (2-3 days).

Thanks this code rem10 is still good in august!

Be aware more than a few members have been unable to get their remote from carandtruckremotes to program by the dealer. They will still charge labor and you'll have to return the remote.

Maybe they fixed their issue, but these are refurbed remotes and don't always work.

Timothydheath

Reaction score
Be aware more than a few members have been unable to get their remote from carandtruckremotes to program by the dealer. They will still charge labor and you'll have to return the remote.

Maybe they fixed their issue, but these are refurbed remotes and don't always work.

this one listed should not be refurbished, here is the quote from the listing:

• One 2020 Dodge Ram 2500, 3500, 4500, 5500 Smart Keyless Entry Remote with Remote Engine Start and Power Tailgate - brand new with uncut emergency insert key included. Genuine, original OEM (factory Dodge) remote. Same as the remote you can purchase at your local RAM dealership.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
this one listed should not be refurbished, here is the quote from the listing:

• One 2020 Dodge Ram 2500, 3500, 4500, 5500 Smart Keyless Entry Remote with Remote Engine Start and Power Tailgate - brand new with uncut emergency insert key included. Genuine, original OEM (factory Dodge) remote. Same as the remote you can purchase at your local RAM dealership.

Same description that was listed for the key I bought that would not program. If it's not in a sealed MOPAR bag, it's not a factory fresh key.

Some have gotten them programmed, some have not. Buyer beware.

Sage6058

Reaction score
After following this as well as others I decided to pull the trigger and go with 12 Volt Solutions for my electric start. I paid extra and got the app so that I could start my truck from anywhere as long as there was cell service. I'm extremely happy with it. No cutting/splicing only plug and play. You connect the wiring harness, connect the module, go thru a few steps, disconnect module, Mail it back, reconnect when it returns and that's it! Phone app is just a few more steps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mchipser

Reaction score
After reading this thread I would like to mention I also added buttons to my stock remote as to not buy new remotes and have the dealer program them. The buttons I had on hand were taller than the stock buttons so I had to trim down the rubber pads on the inside. I also ordered the covers from Amazon to show the remote start / tailgate. It's also worth noting i haven't added the tailgate option to the computer yet, waiting on the bypass cable, and when I was testing the buttons to make sure they click after trimming down the rubber I went out to the truck and the tailgate was open. I closed the tailgate and pressed the buttons twice and it opened again, it doesn't have the damper strut so it just slams open though.. (strut is on order)

Once I get the bypass cable in, I'll add the remote start option so everything will finish.. doing it this route only cost ~$250 total, and you get AlfaOBD for future things.. you can save $40 but buying the lower model OBDLink since you don't need the MX..

Attachments

• PXL_20210914_201758554.jpg
    PXL_20210914_201758554.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210916_170131518.jpg
    PXL_20210916_170131518.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210916_171042797.jpg
    PXL_20210916_171042797.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20210916_172006542.jpg
    PXL_20210916_172006542.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210916_171938479.jpg
    PXL_20210916_171938479.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 64

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice work.

I would like the tailgate option on my Bighorn. I have remote start.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Remy

Reaction score
Anyone in So Cal do this with a dealer? I would be interested in doing this but would love to save some time and go to a dealer that has already done this for a member

JoshuaaT

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman. I bought a remote with the tailgate release and remote start. The dealership programmed it and added the sales code for me. I just told them the sales code listed in the previous pages (XBM & JKR). Both functions work great without adding any additional hardware!

Remy

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman. I bought a remote with the tailgate release and remote start. The dealership programmed it and added the sales code for me. I just told them the sales code listed in the previous pages (XBM & JKR). Both functions work great without adding any additional hardware!
But you still have to use AlfaOBD correct? or did you just buy a remote with the tailgate release and remote start and have the dealer add the two codes and you were all set

JoshuaaT

Reaction score
But you still have to use AlfaOBD correct? or did you just buy a remote with the tailgate release and remote start and have the dealer add the two codes and you were all set
I bought AlfaOBD when I added my passive entry door handles but did not need it for remote start or tailgate release. Everything worked with just the dealer visit. It was $85 for the key programming and free for them to add the sales codes.

Ram911

Reaction score
From reading this thread I now confirmed I was ripped off at the dealer today.
2021 2500 Tradesman 6.7.
I was charged 2 hours time to install the mopar remote start kit. After reading here I realize they did not have to run any wires as I had the hood adjar light on my dash when the hood is open.
So basically I paid $300 for them to add the sales code and program 2 FOBs. I dont think I have any recourse on this?? They also told me I couldnt get the the tailgate FOBs as they wouldnt work on this truck.

Edited to add: None of the push pins under the hood look like they were touched.

Dealers are bad news.

Last edited:

JoshuaaT

Reaction score
From reading this thread I now confirmed I was ripped off at the dealer today.
2021 2500 Tradesman 6.7.
I was charged 2 hours time to install the mopar remote start kit. After reading here I realize they did not have to run any wires as I had the hood adjar light on my dash when the hood is open.
So basically I paid $300 for them to add the sales code and program 2 FOBs. I dont think I have any recourse on this?? They also told me I couldnt get the the tailgate FOBs as they wouldnt work on this truck.

Edited to add: None of the push pins under the hood look like they were touched.

Dealers are bad news.
Did that $300 at least include the cost of the remotes? If so, that wasn’t a bad deal (except for the tailgate release).

Users who are viewing this thread