Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen warnings on RAM?

cmr287

Reaction score
Then you were not on the dpf gauge when it happened because you have regened before for sure

I’ll have to look into what gage this is so I can become familiar with what a regen cycle is.

What screen do I need to go to to observe this happening.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They will do an Auto Regen every @25 engine hours, whether the DPF gauge reads zero or not.
I’ll have to look into what gage this is so I can become familiar with what a regen cycle is.

What screen do I need to go to to observe this happening.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpf gauge its the one after the boost pressure gauge

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Thats not how it works lol these trucks run hotter so less soot in dpf but higher exhaust gas temps so the scr needs more def to break the Nox gases down
Potato pAtato, same thing happens in the end. The 2019 trucks drink dpf and the truck doesn't need as many regens.

Will_T

Reaction score
In 1600 miles I have seen a regen in progress screen once and have actually seen the dpf filter gauge display something other than zero. The way the 2019 and later trucks dump def into the exhaust it doesn't regen near as often as the older trucks.

Maybe someone can explain if my understanding of the process is incorrect. I see this idea that DEF somehow reduces the need for regens, but I have read several descriptions and seen drawings of the system and according to those, the injection of the DEF happens at the front of the SCR after the Diesel Particulate Filter where the regen burns soot off. If all those descriptions are correct, then DEF would not contribute in any way to regen. The DEF simply makes the exhaust coming out of the DPF "less polluting". The regens take place before the injection of DEF and are triggered by a pressure difference between the front and rear of the DPF which is caused by soot buildup. Driving at higher speeds creates higher temperatures and less soot build up which means fewer regens. Some driving habits cause more soot build up and more regens.

I can see how regen could cause higher DEF usage because of more pollutants created during regen causing more DEF to be needed to clean those pollutants. But I see no way that DEF can reduce the frequency of regens, only clean up the downstream exhaust. Unless the design of the system is meant to use more DEF to clean the exhaust, then the threshold for regens could be engineered higher because more DEF will clean up a dirtier exhaust. But that does not make sense as regen cleans off soot and DEF cleans up NOx to harmless nitrogen and water, two different things at two different places in the exhaust system.

Anyway, I am not sure that is all 100% accurate but I have read a lot on it and that is the best I could figure it out. Correct anything that is needed, but please explain in detail as I would really like to know I understand it all correctly.

D

Deleted member 80

NOx is dealt with by two means, in-cylinder with EGR, and after-treatmant with DEF. DEF has no bearing on soot, other than the fact that it lets them run more timing, and be more efficient with after-treatment. More DEF=Less EGR to a degree.

Will_T

Reaction score

Xflight29

Reaction score
20K on my truck. I just let it do its thing and not worry about it. To much in life to worry about already.

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
My truck is a Tradesman and I don't think I have a DPF gauge, do I? I have a DEF gauge that shows but have not seen a DPF warning or any other messages even in the DIC.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
My truck is a Tradesman and I don't think I have a DPF gauge, do I? I have a DEF gauge that shows but have not seen a DPF warning or any other messages even in the DIC.
Yes you do, cycle through the vehicle information screens.

Jackb60

Reaction score
I’ve got about 23k miles and I’ve never noticed a regen. I’m not in the DPF screen too often but when I do check it ive never seen it read anything other than zero

CurtJ

Reaction score
My 2019 2500 with 20k throws a ck engine light today, have it read and it comes back.......diesel particulate heater sensor.......:-/ gonna be a week before they can get it in. Just yet another issue with this rattle box. I sure didn’t expect all the issues I’ve had with this so called “truck of the year” and especially for 70k. Glad it’s still under warranty.

I’ve had several regens, and the truck always runs like crap, smells like burning rubber and uses a bunch of def when it does it.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I’ve got about 23k miles and I’ve never noticed a regen. I’m not in the DPF screen too often but when I do check it ive never seen it read anything other than zero
I only have 3600 miles on my 2020 and have noticed the regen 3 times but only because I was on that screen. Didn’t see any difference in the way the truck drove or sounded. I have seen my DPF go up to 1/4 but it didn’t trigger a regen, went back to zero on its own.

Jackb60

Reaction score
I only have 3600 miles on my 2020 and have noticed the regen 3 times but only because I was on that screen. Didn’t see any difference in the way the truck drove or sounded. I have seen my DPF go up to 1/4 but it didn’t trigger a regen, went back to zero on its own.
I had an Ecodiesel and you got the regen alert no matter what screen you were in. Should be that way on the HDs

Users who are viewing this thread