Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen warnings on RAM?

Aketay

Reaction score
Just an observation, mine regens every 575-600 miles when I am running empty. About once a day regardless of what the dpf meter on the dash indicates. Was once told that driving for long periods of time allow the dpf to do passive regens without additional fuel to create heat to burn soot. This also does not allow a pressure differential from inlet to outlet. In turn the programmed emissions strategy is to regen at “X” miles whether it needs it or not to protect corporate. Either way, regen burns more fuel and makes the engine hotter for 40-80 miles.

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
Just an observation, mine regens every 575-600 miles when I am running empty. About once a day regardless of what the dpf meter on the dash indicates. Was once told that driving for long periods of time allow the dpf to do passive regens without additional fuel to create heat to burn soot. This also does not allow a pressure differential from inlet to outlet. In turn the programmed emissions strategy is to regen at “X” miles whether it needs it or not to protect corporate. Either way, regen burns more fuel and makes the engine hotter for 40-80 miles.

The owners manual has something about passive regens. Also says something about only doing the forced regens if you don’t often meet conditions for passive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

The auto regen is based on engine hours, not miles, and yes it knocks the mpg all to hell.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Couple observations from my recent one:

Engine sounds more like a 2018 all knocky and diesely. Engine brake unloaded works stronger. At rest, in drive, window down listening you can hear the turbo spooling up and down slightly and even catch a psi or 2 on the gauge.

Other than wasting fuel and heating it up all to hell it would be nice if the truck did those things all the time :D

With kids and stuff to do I can't always just "keep driving" though so it would be nice to have a tuner or something enable a switch/setting to do forced manual regen. I hate having it heat up, burn all that fuel, then have to shut it down and start over the next day or next trip somewhere. Would rather get home and leave the damn thing parked and running/regening until its done rather than start the whole unnecessary Greta Thumberg BS all over again.

Hah0910

Reaction score
My truck regens about every 650 to 750 miles. The gauge usually says the filter is low , first mark on gauge or nothing at all. I drive 35 miles to work 1 way so about every 10 days or so. Bought the truck 7/20 and now have 26k on her.

CraigH

Reaction score
My new ‘22 just regenerated at 800 kms (500 miles) but it had idled for a few hours as I played with all the toys. Took about 20 minutes. The alert remained displayed no matter what screen I changed to. The display would compact the information like speedometer to the top of the display while the regeneration message was displayed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My new ‘22 just regenerated at 800 kms (500 miles) but it had idled for a few hours as I played with all the toys. Took about 20 minutes. The alert remained displayed no matter what screen I changed to. The display would compact the information like speedometer to the top of the display while the regeneration message was displayed.
That is new for the 22s i guess which is pretty cool

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yup regen would resume the next time you use the truck, if it was shut off while regenning.
And no, my truck does not regen by hours. It is the gauge I'm usually watching on long, multi days trips, there is no pattern other than it starts when the gauge starts reading between 30-40% (roughly). My '19 computer was never flushed by a dealer ever since I took delivery, told them not to screw with it if they didn't want to deal with one very pissed off customer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yup regen would resume the next time you use the truck, if it was shut off while regenning.
And no, my truck does not regen by hours. It is the gauge I'm usually watching on long, multi days trips, there is no pattern other than it starts when the gauge starts reading between 30-40% (roughly). My '19 computer was never flushed by a dealer ever since I took delivery, told them not to screw with it if they didn't want to deal with one very pissed off customer.
If mine went by gauge movement it would never regen as the gauge has only moved once it got to 10% ish and i stomped the skinny pedal a couple times and it cleared out

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm glad my gauge works, or apears to be woring anyways.
My gauge works but from what i have seen the SO does not fill the DPF like the HO does i figure its due to the lower compression of the HO its not as clean of a burn, it does not help i run my truck like a pissed off teenager most days as i hate city traffic

Will_T

Reaction score
I'm glad my gauge works, or apears to be woring anyways.

I am not sure that any of the gauges are not working. Mine works but only ever gets up to 2 or 3% before a 24-hour triggered regen kicks in. If I am towing it does not seem to move past maybe 1%. I have the SO so that may be why.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I don't know about clean burning of HO vs SO as HO has more boost so it may compensate for the lower compression.

Will_T

Reaction score
I recently put in the pedal monster/iDash combo and keep EGT1 on the iDash: when I see EGT1 go into the +600° range it's my first indicator a Regen is happening.
I use an iDash also and have both EGT1 and EGT3 parameters displayed. The differential between the two can show when a regen starts. But even easier with your iDash, there is a "Regen On/Off" PID that you can put on the display. I use the 8 parameter display on my iDash and always display those 3 so I never miss a regen.

kennelpj

Reaction score
From what I've seen on my '22 with 7k miles, as well as pictures from other threads, when the DPF is 25-50%, there will be a regen and you will only see its in progress if on the DPF screen. If you don't drive long enough, shut down during regen too many times and get the DPF over 80%, then there will be a pop-up saying "regen in progress, continue driving". THEN if you continue to ignore and the DPF climbs higher, then the "see dealer in XXX miles" will appear.

My recommendation is that if you are creeping up into the high % territory, put the truck under a load of go for a long & fast drive on the highway to avoid a dealer headache.

Will_T

Reaction score
So just to follow up on mine. I was out on a short intown trip to the farm store and noticed the engine hours were at 120 so I knew it was about to regen. DPF was not showing anything except zero or possibly 1% but that never mattered before. So, instead of a slow trip in town with regen starting and stopping, I detoured to the freeway for a 15+ minute drive just to get it finished and out of the way. This is my 5th regen, and the 2nd time I did this. The other 3 times, I was on long trips towing so it started and stopped on the highway. Here are a couple photos that show the truck's message and also what I can see on my iDash when in regen. Note the Banks Regen "ON" and the temp difference between ERG1 and EGR3. Under normal non-regen driving the EGRs are roughly the same. I like the Regen on/off PID as usually I do not have that DPF screen on the truck displayed.

Regen1.png

Regen2.png

Aketay

Reaction score
At 235,799 had the DPF replaced. Today at 276,116 I am sitting in Billings, MT waiting for dealership to open. Will keep you posted on what happens.

Attachments

• EAB45E6A-9BD8-4B32-9228-C041C92EC988.jpeg
    EAB45E6A-9BD8-4B32-9228-C041C92EC988.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 36E8D8E6-A1A5-4E84-BE53-3F3AF6D66452.jpeg
    36E8D8E6-A1A5-4E84-BE53-3F3AF6D66452.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 38
  • B2E427A2-5293-40EF-8B75-C50F2130118B.jpeg
    B2E427A2-5293-40EF-8B75-C50F2130118B.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 38

Aketay

Reaction score
I am loaded now and have been driving about 670 miles a day with no problems until now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 23

Darmichar

Reaction score
At 235,799 had the DPF replaced. Today at 276,116 I am sitting in Billings, MT waiting for dealership to open. Will keep you posted on what happens.
Don't let them just throw another DPF at it. There is probably some underlying issue that wasn't addressed when the first DPF was replaced. Likely culprits are:
-The differential pressure sensor for the DPF is plugged.
-One (or more) of the injectors are overfueling creating excessive soot.
-In extreme cases a leak in the intake circuit between the turbo and engine can cut boost which causes the engine to overcompensate by adding fuel which in turn creates more soot.
-I'm not sure exactly how Cummins utilizes the EGR/back pressure circuit on these engines, but that can also cause excessive sooting issues sometimes too

Aketay

Reaction score
Funny you mention above items. They replaced dpf and pressure differential switch, I have replaced the silicon boot just after the turbo. Injectors we’re fine at 235k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread