Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen warnings on RAM?

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
Still on my first 1/2 tank of fuel with only 220 miles on the truck since purchase last Sunday. In my previous diesel experience with a Duramax, when you made a bunch of short trips the instrument display would tell you to "keep driving" so it could do a regen if it needed to. Does the Cummins have a similar warning? This will be used for towing our new 5th wheel, however during the week it will be my daily driver to/from work, which is only 6 miles.

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
It will not tell you to "keep driving," but depending on your model you could have a regen screen labeled "diesel particulate filter" in the vehicle info section of your menu. I have been using mine (2019 2500 Laramie) as a daily driver, 12 miles to work, since I got it 14 months ago with no issues regarding the DPF/regen.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It will not tell you to "keep driving," but depending on your model you could have a regen screen labeled "diesel particulate filter" in the vehicle info section of your menu. I have been using mine (2019 2500 Laramie) as a daily driver, 12 miles to work, since I got it 14 months ago with no issues regarding the DPF/regen.
All models with the cummins have the DPF gauge where it displays when a regen is going on....

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
All models with the cummins have the DPF gauge where it displays when a regen is going on....

I was gonna call baloney cuz I have been driving around with the dang gauge on and have never seen it regen. My wife drove the truck the other day and told me if finally did a regen. LOL Must be her lighter foot on the skinny pedal.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was gonna call baloney cuz I have been driving around with the dang gauge on and have never seen it regen. My wife drove the truck the other day and told me if finally did a regen. LOL Must be her lighter foot on the skinny pedal.
I have seen mine do it 3 times but the dpf has never moved

cmr287

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie 3500 with 15,435 one it right now and have not experienced any DPF warnings or Regen warnings.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
In 1600 miles I have seen a regen in progress screen once and have actually seen the dpf filter gauge display something other than zero. The way the 2019 and later trucks dump def into the exhaust it doesn't regen near as often as the older trucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie 3500 with 15,435 one it right now and have not experienced any DPF warnings or Regen warnings.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then you were not on the dpf gauge when it happened because you have regened before for sure

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In 1600 miles I have seen a regen in progress screen once and have actually seen the dpf filter gauge display something other than zero. The way the 2019 and later trucks dump def into the exhaust it doesn't regen near as often as the older trucks.
Thats not how it works lol these trucks run hotter so less soot in dpf but higher exhaust gas temps so the scr needs more def to break the Nox gases down

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Mine usually will show like 15% or so on gauge after awhile. By the time it hits the first hash mark at 25% it will eventually go into regen soon. I'll hear the engine sound more clacky at idle and low throttle like a 2018 solid lifter and know it's going on. After its done, you'll smell it when parked. Go into park and it will kick out of regen. Not so sure if it takes off where it left off. The other day I had a pretty long one going, maybe 10-15 mins. Shut truck off because I had kids with me and crap to do. Next morning it rocked a full 20 min regen. After it was done, gauge went back to the 15% mark. Then shortly after, went to 0.

It's not the most intuitive design that's for sure. I just wish I could manual regen it. Sucks to burn up all that fuel and create all those temps to have to shut it down because life. I'd rather leave the damn thing running with the doors locked doing its regen so it can finish. God forbid you quit it too many times and it will give you the dreaded "See dealer, MPH limited"...etc BS.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine usually will show like 15% or so on gauge after awhile. By the time it hits the first hash mark at 25% it will eventually go into regen soon. I'll hear the engine sound more clacky at idle and low throttle like a 2018 solid lifter and know it's going on. After its done, you'll smell it when parked. Go into park and it will kick out of regen. Not so sure if it takes off where it left off. The other day I had a pretty long one going, maybe 10-15 mins. Shut truck off because I had kids with me and crap to do. Next morning it rocked a full 20 min regen. After it was done, gauge went back to the 15% mark. Then shortly after, went to 0.

It's not the most intuitive design that's for sure. I just wish I could manual regen it. Sucks to burn up all that fuel and create all those temps to have to shut it down because life. I'd rather leave the damn thing running with the doors locked doing its regen so it can finish. God forbid you quit it too many times and it will give you the dreaded "See dealer, MPH limited"...etc BS.
Mine will keep going in park or so the dash still says its still doing it while im parked..... i guess i stopped looking at the screen before i just had a regen i ended up sitting in my driveway in drive holding the brake till it finished

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread