Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Ram Recalls Almost 340,700 Cummins-Powered Heavy Dutys

ironmike

Reaction score
So what about all pre 2021 2500's & 3500's that have the identical grid heater setup and relays? Are we supposed to just wait until truck catches fire then get compensated for damages?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So what about all pre 2021 2500's & 3500's that have the identical grid heater setup and relays? Are we supposed to just wait until truck catches fire then get compensated for damages?
Pre-2021 use a completely different relay, and aren’t affected.

ironmike

Reaction score
Pre-2021 use a completely different relay, and aren’t affected.

#1 2020 ram 3500 relay part # 68393978AB , #2 2022 ram 3500 relay part #​

68606435AB​

1678900110302.png

1678900125560.png

So is # 2 the relay in question and catching fire,
& # 1 relay is not the type in question catching fire? And, This does not address the grid heater bolt failures correct?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares thanks for the early April update, that's more than we've heard to date. However, is that for parts release to the entire universe of affected trucks? It seems to me that the relative few pre-sold trucks sitting on dealer lots could/should be given priority for parts and therefore not have to wait until the 300k parts for the entire recall are available. Could you please ask that questions to whoever in RAM can answer it and get back to us? Thanks
Hello,

For presold vehicles at the dealer or in the lot waiting to be shipped, they get top priority. We recommend working with your dealer to reserve a slot once the recall is released.

William
Ram Cares

Ronstar

Reaction score
Simple question here….. it appears the problem was discovered mid January yet my “track your vehicle” site shows mine was built shortly after that. Why did they build knowing it was a bad part???
That site still shows estimated delivery in a week but dealer shows “in transit delay” and site does not say shipped. Too many fingers not pointing in harmony. Hoping it does ship and dealer can fix once here but “we” have mo idea where the truck physically is.

dakejohnson

Reaction score
My 2023 3500 finished build on 2/27 and seems to have the fix installed. It just got off the train at Alliance TX and my dealer said it's not being held so I can pick it up next week. He has trucks on the lot that were built a few weeks before that they can't sell until fixed. RAMs recall center also confirmed it using the VIN. They must have the fix but are rolling it out on production units first, then I expect trucks held on the lot will be next unless the post production fix is different.

Buitron

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed with Ram if they actually have a fix for the recall on the intake heater grid relay. I spoke with a rep from Ram today and they told me the fix was expected in the 3rd quarter. The dealership just received my build on March 3rd and are unable to sell to me do to the stop sale on rams. Kind of blows I waited this long for my build and now I need to wait an additional 4 to 5 months.

scdo

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed with Ram if they actually have a fix for the recall on the intake heater grid relay. I spoke with a rep from Ram today and they told me the fix was expected in the 3rd quarter. The dealership just received my build on March 3rd and are unable to sell to me do to the stop sale on rams. Kind of blows I waited this long for my build and now I need to wait an additional 4 to 5 months.
The only official timeline / expectation I've seen is what was posted in this thread (@RamCares - thank you for that btw).

Who did you speak to from Ram? Q3 is very concerning. At that point it might be faster just to order another truck (Ram or other).

Buitron

Reaction score
The only official timeline / expectation I've seen is what was posted in this thread (@RamCares - thank you for that btw).

Who did you speak to from Ram? Q3 is very concerning. At that point it might be faster just to order another truck (Ram or other).

I spoke with a Ram Customer Care rep 866-726-4636. I would hope that is not the case and they are just reading off some script.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
FWIW, I was chatting with my dealership's salesman and he said next week they are receiving 2 2023 Rams with the HO engines that are NOT on the "Stop Sale" list. He thinks they must have done something at the factory.

Last edited:

RossWatkins

Cranky
Reaction score
To William @ Ram Cares….are you able to debunk the message of 3rd Quarter delivery for the Grid Heater fix that Buitron received from Ram Customer Care? My wife & I have a road trip planned for mid April. We have paid ahead for the accommodation and activities! The skeptic in me says I should just go and buy another brand off a dealer lot so we won’t be continually frustrated by the delivery delays, the optimist in me says ‘early April is coming soon’, so hang on! A truthful response would be much appreciated. It will also stop the frustration and rumors that we are all feeling and reading.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are doing phases on this recall, starting with the 2023 model year. All affected customers will be receiving a notification once the repair is available. We do appreciate your patience.

William
Ram Cares

Nd79

Reaction score
My 2023 3500 finished build on 2/27 and seems to have the fix installed. It just got off the train at Alliance TX and my dealer said it's not being held so I can pick it up next week. He has trucks on the lot that were built a few weeks before that they can't sell until fixed. RAMs recall center also confirmed it using the VIN. They must have the fix but are rolling it out on production units first, then I expect trucks held on the lot will be next unless the post production fix is different
Do you think you would be able to snap a picture of the relay (near the bottom of the passenger side battery) when you pick the truck up? Might help others out to see what the potential fix might be.

Reaction score
I spoke with a Ram Customer Care rep 866-726-4636. I would hope that is not the case and they are just reading off some script.
FYI: My 2023 3500 has been at the dealer for over a month now because it's waiting for the relay fix. Dealership contacted me on Friday and said that during a conference call they learned that a fix should be available at the beginning of April.

Buitron

Reaction score
FYI: My 2023 3500 has been at the dealer for over a month now because it's waiting for the relay fix. Dealership contacted me on Friday and said that during a conference call they learned that a fix should be available at the beginning of April.
That's great to hear. I am hoping that timeline sticks. Thanks for your info.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Hey Ram Cares,

Called my dealer today to see about the 68RFE dipstick recall as parts are supposed to be available. Was told that as they get parts in they are only using them for trucks on the lot and new orders and that those of us that already have our trucks are being put on a wait list. Is that the kind of customer support Ram Cares is looking for. I paid for my truck and have it yet I’m being put behind new customers that haven’t yet shelled out big $$$.

JD2510

Reaction score
I spoke to the service writer at my local dealership about the 68FRE dipstick recall, I’ve been on the list since the first week in December. Service writer said that the parts department receives one dipstick a week for recall repair.

Users who are viewing this thread