Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Ram Recalls Almost 340,700 Cummins-Powered Heavy Dutys

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RECALL: Ram Recalls Almost 340,700 Cummins-Powered Heavy Dutys​

Heater-Grid Relays May Catch Fire...​

1676651232882.png

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling an estimated 306,165 of its 2021 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 pickup trucks and Ram 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab equipped with the 6.7-liter Cummins inline-six turbodiesel engine.

flan

Reaction score

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We will be sending out more information out once the part has been released. Should you have any further questions, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

Ronstar

Reaction score
Just tried to PM Ram Cares. “Oops we have a problem” keeps popping up and Ram Cares not found????????

Ronstar

Reaction score
Ok, that was odd. Realized I had put a space between Ram and Cares and that apparently was enough to screw things up.
Once I retried to send PM I kept getting some type of seconds countdown until allowed to hit “start conversation”. Is this normal? Anyways……
Just wondering if my truck, which has not shipped yet, will be held until fixed or if it might get shipped and dealer here fixed. PM did finally send and I will post answer once received. Build completed Jan 28 which is about two weeks after the recall notice so hoping sent and fix here……

Dicdik

Reaction score
My Rebel HD was order in Oct and has been at the dealership for 2.5 weeks. They said RAM put a delivery hold and won’t release it due to the recall. It sucks having to wait!
Ok, that was odd. Realized I had put a space between Ram and Cares and that apparently was enough to screw things up.
Once I retried to send PM I kept getting some type of seconds countdown until allowed to hit “start conversation”. Is this normal? Anyways……
Just wondering if my truck, which has not shipped yet, will be held until fixed or if it might get shipped and dealer here fixed. PM did finally send and I will post answer once received. Build completed Jan 28 which is about two weeks after the recall notice so hoping sent and fix here……

Ronstar

Reaction score
Here is the response I received from RamCares:

Attachments

• 5A932F3E-417B-4C50-B2F1-2B9910FB9C86.png
    5A932F3E-417B-4C50-B2F1-2B9910FB9C86.png
    889.2 KB · Views: 128

RossWatkins

Cranky
Reaction score
Has there been any update to the availability of the grid heater recall or further communication from Ram? I ordered my Ram on the 13th Sept 2022, it was delivered into Portland Oregon on the 12th Feb 2023! It’s STILL sitting on the dealers lot and can’t be released due to the recall. Together with the omission of the 12” digit cluster on my order, this is the straw that’s breaking the camels back for me with this company! To stay I’m a little more than annoyed at Stellantis is a huge under statement!. What makes it worse is that we sold my wife’s car on the 14th Feb as we were told our pick up would be delivered by the 20th Feb!!!! If Ram Cares really cared, there would be more communication on the status of the availability of the parts, and some sort of compensation for the continued delays and omissions on the specs as advertised!

Will_T

Reaction score
Has there been any update to the availability of the grid heater recall or further communication from Ram? I ordered my Ram on the 13th Sept 2022, it was delivered into Portland Oregon on the 12th Feb 2023! It’s STILL sitting on the dealers lot and can’t be released due to the recall. Together with the omission of the 12” digit cluster on my order, this is the straw that’s breaking the camels back for me with this company! To stay I’m a little more than annoyed at Stellantis is a huge under statement!. What makes it worse is that we sold my wife’s car on the 14th Feb as we were told our pick up would be delivered by the 20th Feb!!!! If Ram Cares really cared, there would be more communication on the status of the availability of the parts, and some sort of compensation for the continued delays and omissions on the specs as advertised!

Not any sort of "official" information but... When I was in for an oil change and tailgate recall inspection last week, I asked about both the transmission vent and dipstick recall and also the grid heater relay recall. I have been on the list of who they have ordered the transmission kit for about a month and they still do not have the parts to do mine. For the grid heater relay. they are not even able to order the relay yet. I was told it will be a long time still before I can get mine done because once they are able to get some relays, all the first ones will go to folks like you that are waiting to take delivery. This is understandable of course. I pressed for more information hoping to learn some details but all they said was they could not order the relay yet as it is unavailable.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
HG
Hello,

Thank you for grabbing our attention! We appreciate your feedback. We will be sure to forward this feedback to our team for future strategic implementation. Right now there is no repair remedy available for the 13A recall for the Heater Grid Recall. We will keep everyone affected by this recall further posted once we get any further update. We appreciate your patience.

William
Ram Cares

RossWatkins

Cranky
Reaction score
William, please don’t think I am being patient for one minute!!! It ran out on Feb 16th 2023. This is a total PR disaster for Ram and Ram Cares! the communication from Ram cares is deafening by your silence. On many levels, this purchase has been one of the most incompetent customer service communication exercises. Why would RAM advertise a new feature on their web site (12“ digital display) and it not be available on the vehicles that were pre-ordered! I, for one was looking forward to the new digital cluster. I’m assuming the cost was put into the pre-order, are we all being compensated by the omission? I have a couple of questions that those of us who are effected would be interested in some honest answers and not to be pushed aside.

1. If the current manufacture of Rams with the Cumins Diesel engine is ok, why are they not temporary held so the ‘working Heater Grid’ can be shipped to those of us who ordered early and now have to wait an indefinite period while our vehicles sit idle on a dealers lot.

2. This recall is a month old, and Ram can not give an answer or timeline as to when the parts will be available. (Hard to believe) There must be some urgent discussions happening between yourselves and the part manufacturer that have been going on since early Feb. Surely Ram has been given a time lime as to when these parts will begin to filter into the system. (Even if its just a few thousand). A month is a long time, not to have ANY IDEA when this issue will be addressed large manufacturer. Will Ram Care really lets its customers know what’s going on, or will we just continue to be thanked for our patience?

waveslayer

Reaction score
William, please don’t think I am being patient for one minute!!! It ran out on Feb 16th 2023. This is a total PR disaster for Ram and Ram Cares! the communication from Ram cares is deafening by your silence. On many levels, this purchase has been one of the most incompetent customer service communication exercises. Why would RAM advertise a new feature on their web site (12“ digital display) and it not be available on the vehicles that were pre-ordered! I, for one was looking forward to the new digital cluster. I’m assuming the cost was put into the pre-order, are we all being compensated by the omission? I have a couple of questions that those of us who are effected would be interested in some honest answers and not to be pushed aside.

1. If the current manufacture of Rams with the Cumins Diesel engine is ok, why are they not temporary held so the ‘working Heater Grid’ can be shipped to those of us who ordered early and now have to wait an indefinite period while our vehicles sit idle on a dealers lot.

2. This recall is a month old, and Ram can not give an answer or timeline as to when the parts will be available. (Hard to believe) There must be some urgent discussions happening between yourselves and the part manufacturer that have been going on since early Feb. Surely Ram has been given a time lime as to when these parts will begin to filter into the system. (Even if its just a few thousand). A month is a long time, not to have ANY IDEA when this issue will be addressed large manufacturer. Will Ram Care really lets its customers know what’s going on, or will we just continue to be thanked for our patience?
I wonder if you can replace the grid heater with the Bsnks monster air like I did, this removing the problem... could you get the dealer to install it and move some inventory

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

jak

Reaction score
Same boat as the rest of you, made a deal, left a deposit and was to pick up truck last week of February. I get the "supply chain" problems but seems like Ram could give us a more definitive ETA on this part. Also, my truck is a 2022, just finding out this problem now?

flan

Reaction score
I wonder if you can replace the grid heater with the Bsnks monster air like I did, this removing the problem... could you get the dealer to install it and move some inventory

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
The banks unit removes the potential grid heater bolt failure, but the ford style intake heater used is still controlled by the faulty solid state relay.

dogbreath650

Reaction score
I too am sitting and waiting on my truck which has been sitting on the dealer lot since 23 Feb. If there are 300K+ trucks out there that are affected and only 6 or 8 that have had fires , I can understand why there doesn't seem to be any urgency on communication as the risk is extremely low. What I don't understand is why they can't release our trucks to us and let us take care of the recall when parts are available along with the other owners. I also don't understand the lack of communication as to when to expect parts to be available, certainly RAM must have some visibility of the parts delivery schedule they could share with us? As I need a truck in hand by mid April and have no idea if I'll have mine by then I'm being forced to start looking at a Plan B. This is a lot of needless stress and aggravation heaped on us by RAM with their lack of communication and/or concern.

@RamCares

scdo

Reaction score
I agree with comments above. @RamCares - Stellantis needs to be more forthcoming in setting an expectation here. Messaging us on the forums asking us to PM you then giving us no additional information feels like an attempt to simply silent the chatter.

With my truck sitting on the lot, I'm left in the dark if I might be able to pick it up in a few weeks or many months. Having this information would allow for much needed planning.

I think we all understand that recalls happen but how the timing and next steps are communicated to customers are 100% in control of the company. Even if there's significant uncertainty, a simple statement such as "it will be at least X weeks and we'll provide another update on Y date" would go a long way. Keeping us completely in the dark is having me start to price out trucks from other manufacturers.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Thank you for this feedback. As of today, we were told that the part should be available sometime in early April. We will keep everyone affected by this further posted.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I agree with comments above. @RamCares - Stellantis needs to be more forthcoming in setting an expectation here. Messaging us on the forums asking us to PM you then giving us no additional information feels like an attempt to simply silent the chatter.

With my truck sitting on the lot, I'm left in the dark if I might be able to pick it up in a few weeks or many months. Having this information would allow for much needed planning.

I think we all understand that recalls happen but how the timing and next steps are communicated to customers are 100% in control of the company. Even if there's significant uncertainty, a simple statement such as "it will be at least X weeks and we'll provide another update on Y date" would go a long way. Keeping us completely in the dark is having me start to price out trucks from other manufacturers.

We appreciate you feedback on this. As of right now, we are anticipating for the part to be released sometime in early April. More info will be posted once we get more feedback.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I too am sitting and waiting on my truck which has been sitting on the dealer lot since 23 Feb. If there are 300K+ trucks out there that are affected and only 6 or 8 that have had fires , I can understand why there doesn't seem to be any urgency on communication as the risk is extremely low. What I don't understand is why they can't release our trucks to us and let us take care of the recall when parts are available along with the other owners. I also don't understand the lack of communication as to when to expect parts to be available, certainly RAM must have some visibility of the parts delivery schedule they could share with us? As I need a truck in hand by mid April and have no idea if I'll have mine by then I'm being forced to start looking at a Plan B. This is a lot of needless stress and aggravation heaped on us by RAM with their lack of communication and/or concern.

@RamCares

We are sorry for this experience that you've encountered, along with many other customers. We are doing our very best on getting this issue resolved. We are anticipating the release date on the recall to be sometime in early April. We will keep all affected customers further posted. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

dogbreath650

Reaction score
@RamCares thanks for the early April update, that's more than we've heard to date. However, is that for parts release to the entire universe of affected trucks? It seems to me that the relative few pre-sold trucks sitting on dealer lots could/should be given priority for parts and therefore not have to wait until the 300k parts for the entire recall are available. Could you please ask that questions to whoever in RAM can answer it and get back to us? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread