Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
They could have easily just made the dipstick only… i wonder if it gets the dipstick hole further from the turbo possibly?

Actually looking at it maybe thats not the fix and only the short stick otherwise we should see it sticking out of the bottom of the tube…

It doesn't look like the stick is in there. I saw a guy had this on Facebook today. Maybe it is the same guy and same pic. Gonna see if I can remember where it was. He did say he can check his fluid level and it had the lock on it.

flan

Reaction score
They could have easily just made the dipstick only… i wonder if it gets the dipstick hole further from the turbo possibly?

Actually looking at it maybe thats not the fix and only the short stick otherwise we should see it sticking out of the bottom of the tube…
It’s tough to see because of the background contrast, but I believe I can see the dipstick out of the bottom of the tube.

flan

Reaction score
It doesn't look like the stick is in there. I saw a guy had this on Facebook today. Maybe it is the same guy and same pic. Gonna see if I can remember where it was. He did say he can check his fluid level and it had the lock on it.
5th gen cummins page

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Guess I’ll find out this coming Monday as my dealers mobile recall tech is coming to my house and will be doing the “fix” in my shop. Will post pics of what the fix is as I will be watching over his shoulder.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Guess I’ll find out this coming Monday as my dealers mobile recall tech is coming to my house and will be doing the “fix” in my shop. Will post pics of what the fix is as I will be watching over his shoulder.
I need a mobile tech to come do the 5 recalls I have open right now! Except one of those is still the damn CP4.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I need a mobile tech to come do the 5 recalls I have open right now! Except one of those is still the damn CP4.
Good luck. Only reason I’m even getting the dipstick recall done is I complained to my dealer that they were saving what few parts they get in for lot trucks and not for customers who had already paid for and received our trucks. Asked them if that was the strategy Ram was supporting and what was a good email to contact Ram with. Their GM called me 30 mins later and next thing you know I’m scheduled for Monday. Kinda maddening you have to go that route to get something done.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good luck. Only reason I’m even getting the dipstick recall done is I complained to my dealer that they were saving what few parts they get in for lot trucks and not for customers who had already paid for and received our trucks. Asked them if that was the strategy Ram was supporting and what was a good email to contact Ram with. Their GM called me 30 mins later and next thing you know I’m scheduled for Monday. Kinda maddening you have to go that route to get something done.
Yea its sad that the only way to get things done is to raise hell. This world is going to hell quickly

Will_T

Reaction score

I do wish the transmission recall parts were more readily available. I have been on the waiting list at our dealer for a month now. They do get the parts in but not enough. I have not been complaining to them about it though so my fault, I guess, for not being at the front of the line.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Sitting at the dealer right now. Was informed that due to a parts change the dipstick recall couldn’t be accomplished by the mobile tech so had to bring the truck in. I was able to see the new dipstick and tube and can confirm it is a full length dipstick that allows us to check the fluid level. Also, has a GM style locking top. Sorry no pics yet.

Riddick

Reaction score
This is great news but what happens to those trucks with the stubby dip stick? I am assuming they are stuck with it........ glad I kept my stock one.

Darkone

Reaction score
From what my dealer told me the dealerships are going to have to recall all the customers that have the short locking dipstick and install the permanent piece. Now this is just what they told me how true it is I don’t know. I chose to wait until they had the permanent piece

Razzman

Reaction score
Mine was just done over a week ago but I have yet to see what was done as it's now in the body shop to square the bed up and replace an entire Rambox due to out of square bed.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Pic of the new dipstick. Sorry was unable to get a part number 47C8EF48-2424-42A8-AC32-7298A40B8CFB.jpeg

Will_T

Reaction score
I was able to see the new dipstick and tube and can confirm it is a full length dipstick that allows us to check the fluid level. Also, has a GM style locking top.

There are a couple of posts where it sounds like it is the tube that the dipstick is in that is being replaced but I imagine that every reference in this thread to "dipstick and tube" means the vent hose/tube on the transmission itself. For those that have the short dipstick, if they get another recall hopefully it will not require and appt., just stopping in to get the stick.

edit: Now I see back in post #122 that it is not just my brain getting hung up on semantics, they are replacing the whole tube the dipstick is in.

Razzman

Reaction score
There are a couple of posts where it sounds like it is the tube that the dipstick is in that is being replaced but I imagine that every reference in this thread to "dipstick and tube" means the vent hose/tube on the transmission itself. For those that have the short dipstick, if they get another recall hopefully it will not require and appt., just stopping in to get the stick.

edit: Now I see back in post #122 that it is not just my brain getting hung up on semantics, they are replacing the whole tube the dipstick is in.
Looks to me like the tube will need to be replaced as well, look at the diameter of the rubber insert below the locking handle. Looks to be way bigger in diameter than the standard dipstick to me.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I would assume if you had to recall done and only got the short dipstick that you will have to go in and they will replace the dipstick tube as well with the new longer dipstick. Originally the mobile recall technician was going to come to my house and do it, which I assume would’ve been just replacing the dipstick however they received the newest part which was the new dipstick tube and full length dipstick so I had to take the truck in

Will_T

Reaction score
Looks to me like the tube will need to be replaced as well, look at the diameter of the rubber insert below the locking handle. Looks to be way bigger in diameter than the standard dipstick to me.
I wonder how hard it is to replace the tube the dipstick is in? Seems like it could be tricky.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it is to replace the tube the dipstick is in? Seems like it could be tricky.
Usually not hard at all to swap out the dipstick tubes if they come out easy

Users who are viewing this thread