Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:​

Standard-Output Cummins Models With 68RFE Transmission...​

1668747220813.png

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling 248,342 units of its Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty pickups due to the possibility of a build-up of pressure and heat inside the transmission that may result in a transmission fluid leak from the dipstick. The leaking transmission fluid may contact an ignition source within the engine compartment, increasing the risk of a fire.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
Reposted to here:

I read the Safety Recall Report and the suspect period is September 4th to November 4th, but my truck has the open recall on it anyway. Not sure why, but I'll need with that Monday. I have a couple hundred miles of towing coming up this week so just want to know if I should expect fireballs or not.

Information doesn't seem clear right now.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Reposted to here:

I read the Safety Recall Report and the suspect period is September 4th to November 4th, but my truck has the open recall on it anyway. Not sure why, but I'll need with that Monday. I have a couple hundred miles of towing coming up this week so just want to know if I should expect fireballs or not.

Information doesn't seem clear right now.
If your truck has the 68rfe transmission, and it was built sometime between September 4th 2019 and November 4th 2022, then it would most likely have the recall.
16 confirmed reports out of ~250,000 units, I’d say the odds of it happening to you are pretty low.
But….you never know…

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
If your truck has the 68rfe transmission, and it was built sometime between September 4th 2019 and November 4th 2022, then it would most likely have the recall.
16 confirmed reports out of ~250,000 units, I’d say the odds of it happening to you are pretty low.
But….you never know…
That's the strange part, it wasn't built in that period. I've been driving it since July.

CTF2019

Reaction score
The 2019s had the same recall before and it was the separator plate and check ball.

I wonder what they changed in the new units to cause this problem, and what is the new fix?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Zip tie a bag around the end of a dipstick, if it starts puking oil, it will go in the bag, that is until RAM figures out a fix.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
What were the operating conditions for the 16 fire balls? In other words, what time did the 68RFE get to? Were they towing/hauling a heavy load?

I wonder how likely it is mine will burst into flames if I'm just driving around empty?

BSN81

Reaction score
So we had a 2500, with the 68rfe, towing a 11,500 pound 5th wheel this last summer. We ended up on a really steep road out of Bishop, CA. The transmission got up to around 255 degrees towing through the mountain range. I thought it was getting too hot, however never went over 1/2 way of the gauge. We never had any issues and the truck just kept on working. I was extremely impressed and will also never take that paved round again. When towing, the transmission was normally around 167 to 170 degrees.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
So we had a 2500, with the 68rfe, towing a 11,500 pound 5th wheel this last summer. We ended up on a really steep road out of Bishop, CA. The transmission got up to around 255 degrees towing through the mountain range. I thought it was getting too hot, however never went over 1/2 way of the gauge. We never had any issues and the truck just kept on working. I was extremely impressed and will also never take that paved round again. When towing, the transmission was normally around 167 to 170 degrees.
Thanks for the input. So far I have never seen my 68RFE get above 167F...but I have yet to tow/haul anyting with it in my first ~3700 miles. This is why I keep trying to search out info on what happened with the few trucks that have caught fire.

BSN81

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. So far I have never seen my 68RFE get above 167F...but I have yet to tow/haul anyting with it in my first ~3700 miles. This is why I keep trying to search out info on what happened with the few trucks that have caught fire.
We had over 30,000 miles on ours and over 15 trips towing with it and no problems issues. We loved the truck so much we sold it to buy a 3500. I did have a buddy that had a 2500 towing a trailer on a dirt road, like a log road, towing a trailer and he had this fire issues. First time I had heard about it.

Nd79

Reaction score
I drove mine 40k miles before I had the recall and never had any issues. I know of several in the same boat.
Did you notice any difference in the drivability good or bad after the recall? I assume it's not much difference, if anything at all but the older recall does mention a reflash of the ECU.

Just curious because I love how my truck drives and would hate to mess with that.

Users who are viewing this thread