Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

Firebird

Reaction score
Free is better than a 140$ hope and prayer because if you need that it means the vent is plugged anyway and needs to be changed/ cleaned
My dealer said there was no fix right now, so until they have the parts, I figured this could be cheap insurance. I tow a lot, and didn't want any mishaps before they could fix it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My dealer said there was no fix right now, so until they have the parts, I figured this could be cheap insurance. I tow a lot, and didn't want any mishaps before they could fix it.
The parts are availible your dealer is full of it

Razzman

Reaction score
Speaking of the vent, what's with the L-angle vent? why not simply run a hose to the firewall or such, reinstall the vent cap and call it a day? Sure would keep debris away from it.

Firebird

Reaction score
The parts are availible your dealer is full of it
Ok, good to know. My dealer was just sold a month ago, and the service department is a ****e show right now. May they to schedule an appointment at the dealer in S Georgia then.

Razzman

Reaction score
Speaking of the vent, what's with the L-angle vent? why not simply run a hose to the firewall or such, reinstall the vent cap and call it a day? Sure would keep debris away from it.
Nevermind, thought about it and it's not a good idea.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They could forsure lengthen the vent and would be ideal for water crossing but for the avg driver the vent is plenty sufficient where it is and the angle just keeps it away from the top of the case where it can collect dirt and mud

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They could forsure lengthen the vent and would be ideal for water crossing but for the avg driver the vent is plenty sufficient where it is and the angle just keeps it away from the top of the case where it can collect dirt and mud
If it's like any of the others, it's a one-way vent. Made by Goretex?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If it's like any of the others, it's a one-way vent. Made by Goretex?
It could be but it just looks like a normal 5$ Dorman cheapy from Flan’s picture on the previous page. I know the front axle vent on these trucks is the one way gore-tex but i have not even looked at the rest to see if they were the same i assumed they were not but never confirmed

spinned

Reaction score
I was told that with the new fix you can no longer check your dipstick level. It would have to be done at the dealer and it takes 45 minutes to check. Don’t expect Jiffy Lube to be able to do it.

flan

Reaction score
I was told that with the new fix you can no longer check your dipstick level. It would have to be done at the dealer and it takes 45 minutes to check. Don’t expect Jiffy Lube to be able to do it.
Correct. Make it a point to keep your old dipstick. I wouldn’t drive my worst beater into a quick lube joint, no worries for me!

Firebird

Reaction score
That's nuts! If that's the case, then I will just keep my AFE device and dipstick, thank you very much

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's nuts! If that's the case, then I will just keep my AFE device and dipstick, thank you very much
Just keep your old dipstick….. and it would only take a dealer 45mins to check everyone else can do it in the same 30 seconds as before if you keep your OEM dip stick in the garage or truck

BigRigWrecker

Reaction score
What were the operating conditions for the 16 fire balls? In other words, what time did the 68RFE get to? Were they towing/hauling a heavy load?

I wonder how likely it is mine will burst into flames if I'm just driving around empty?
Got a hundred bux 90% of the 16 were on rental from enterprise commercial to hotshot truckers tipping the scales at 25999 running cross country with two drivers.

Saw a dude in Kentucky last year in a 3500 with the SO/68RFE, said it was a rental… had 3 cars on a gooseneck trailer and was griping that “this thing doesn’t feel like it has 1000 ft. Lbs. of torque”. I told him it didn’t since it was an SO, then he spent 10 mins bitching about the trans overheating in the mountains.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Got a hundred bux 90% of the 16 were on rental from enterprise commercial to hotshot truckers tipping the scales at 25999 running cross country with two drivers.

Saw a dude in Kentucky last year in a 3500 with the SO/68RFE, said it was a rental… had 3 cars on a gooseneck trailer and was griping that “this thing doesn’t feel like it has 1000 ft. Lbs. of torque”. I told him it didn’t since it was an SO, then he spent 10 mins bitching about the trans overheating in the mountains.
Im sure he was also trying to maintain 80mph in the mountains too! Those guys usually have no clue how to do anything safely.

railroadgoat

Reaction score
I just had the recall ZA3 (transmission tube) done 1/18/2023 on my 2022 Ram 2500. Dealer told me with the replacement tube, you CAN NOT check the transmission fluid yourself? WTF ? Service man said the tube is shorter and does not have a dipstick. Was told I would have to return to dealer when I needed my fluid level checked. Does not even make sense. Anybody else been told this.? I filed a complaint with the NHTSA about it. So I neglect to take it in to dealer and burn up my tranny, I'm on the hook for repairs for not monitoring fluid level?? If this is so, everyone that has this done needs t file complaint.

Will_T

Reaction score
I just had the recall ZA3 (transmission tube) done 1/18/2023 on my 2022 Ram 2500. Dealer told me with the replacement tube, you CAN NOT check the transmission fluid yourself? WTF ? Service man said the tube is shorter and does not have a dipstick.

If you take a moment and read through this thread you will see there are many options for you to be able to check your trans fluid. You will need to buy a dipstick since you didn't ask for your old one back. The tube has not been changed....only the length of the replacement dipstick.

I read it the same way that D&D says. I don't believe they are changing the tube, only the stick. So if you keep your old dip stick, you can check yourself. But I have not had it done yet and am not 100% sure? Dealers have been known to "fib" at times, maybe to get you back in more often.

spinned

Reaction score
Ok. Let’s say they don’t remove the tube, but add a non-removable cap, or a cap that adds quarter inch to the tube, how would you get an accurate reading? Can someone on this forum confirm that we can still use the dipstick if the recall is done?

I’ve got to believe there will be a problem with that because my dealer says they have to keep the OEM dipstick once the recall is completed. You don’t get it back. I would think that if the OEM dipstick was still usable to read the fluid level, they wouldn’t be keeping it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. Let’s say they don’t remove the tube, but add a non-removable cap, or a cap that adds quarter inch to the tube, how would you get an accurate reading? Can someone on this forum confirm that we can still use the dipstick if the recall is done?

I’ve got to believe there will be a problem with that because my dealer says they have to keep the OEM dipstick once the recall is completed. You don’t get it back. I would think that if the OEM dipstick was still usable to read the fluid level, they wouldn’t be keeping it.
They DO NOT change the dipstick tube they only change the dipstick to one that locks in position. They keep the OEM dipstick so that there is no chance someone removes the new dipstick and just keeps the OEM stick in the transmission. You can use the OEM dipstick to check the fluid after the recall thats what the dealer will be using as they are instructed to keep atleast one of the old ones for checking the fluid

Users who are viewing this thread