Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

Will_T

Reaction score
Usually not hard at all to swap out the dipstick tubes if they come out easy
Are you indicating that they just pull out or something? Seems like they would be attached securely somehow, and you would need to get access to the bottom of the tube to do it. I am no mechanic, but looking at my engine and underneath the truck, it does not look easy. And my local dealership shop doing anything other than the easiest of tasks worries me. And I wonder why they had to come up with a whole new tube in the first place rather than just design a dipstick that would work with original tube.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are you indicating that they just pull out or something? Seems like they would be attached securely somehow, and you would need to get access to the bottom of the tube to do it. I am no mechanic, but looking at my engine and underneath the truck, it does not look easy. And my local dealership shop doing anything other than the easiest of tasks worries me. And I wonder why they had to come up with a whole new tube in the first place rather than just design a dipstick that would work with original tube.
Usually its one or 2 bolts and it pulls out of the trans. Rather easy its snaking it in to place that can sometimes be the issue. This one is 2 small bolts and it pops out if the trans case

Austi

Reaction score

Austi

Reaction score
Is ram going to provide a new dipstick to check the trans oil? This is ridiculus that I cannot check my own trans.

flan

Reaction score
Is ram going to provide a new dipstick to check the trans oil? This is ridiculus that I cannot check my own trans.
New dipstick and tube are available from your dealer.

flan

Reaction score
His 23 should have come with the new tube and stick anyway i would have thought
Absolutely. I’m not seeing any signatures since I’m on my phone I was ASSuming he had something earlier than a 23. ‍♂️

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Absolutely. I’m not seeing any signatures since I’m on my phone I was ASSuming he had something earlier than a 23. ‍♂️
He commented in an earlier post elsewhere that he had a 23 i don't see signatures anymore on the mobile site anymore

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you rotate your phone sideways signautes will show up.
it used to always show up thats odd but it works i just changed my letter size to 75% in the safari browser now it shows up again o_O

Austi

Reaction score
New dipstick and tube are available from your dealer.
Sorry, just joined. 2023 ram 2500 4 door diesel. Dealer told me there is no fix and I need to bring to dealer to have the trans oil checked. There is no recall for a 2023. The recall is for up to 2022 and they remove the 44" dipstick and install a 15" dipstick with a lock on it. Basically the dealer in Tunkhannock PA told me they cannot do anything. This does not make sense to me. I have already had several problems with this.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, just joined. 2023 ram 2500 4 door diesel. Dealer told me there is no fix and I need to bring to dealer to have the trans oil checked. There is no recall for a 2023. The recall is for up to 2022 and they remove the 44" dipstick and install a 15" dipstick with a lock on it. Basically the dealer in Tunkhannock PA told me they cannot do anything. This does not make sense to me. I have already had several problems with this.

They are no longer replacing it with a 15” dipstick, that was short term. There is a full length locking dipstick that is used.

Austi

Reaction score
They are no longer replacing it with a 15” dipstick, that was short term. There is a full length locking dipstick that is used.
Thank you.....I will send this info to the dealer. I stopped there yesterday and I was told the short one is all I get.
Thanks for your help.

NVYCHF

Reaction score
When they “fixed” mine I told them I wanted my old one. They reluctantly gave it to me. Only the stick and vent were replaced, no tube at that point. Now that there is a new and improved, I guess I will get that one too.

You all be safe out there!!

Randy

Plannet

Reaction score
Well the odds might be low but looks like the AT fluid got me. That's my guess anyway at this point. This was taken on the way into Yellowstone from the North entrance. Motor was cold 30 minutes prior, no sign of any issue until I noticed a loss of power going 15 mph uphill. Within 50-70 yards I was at a full stop. Just as I reached the stop a plume of white smoke came from under my drivers door(down wind side) followed by at least a foot and a half of flame. Everyone got out ok, I had to go back into the back seat to get one of my labs out who was frozen with fear. You don't want to be me. First time around a truck fire and I can tell you it went up quick but then I think it was fully involved before I knew it.

Attachments

• Truck Fire 1.jpg
    Truck Fire 1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Truck Fire 2.jpg
    Truck Fire 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Truck Fire 3.jpg
    Truck Fire 3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230116_130311-Truck (3).jpg
    20230116_130311-Truck (3).jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 55

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the odds might be low but looks like the AT fluid got me. That's my guess anyway at this point. This was taken on the way into Yellowstone from the North entrance. Motor was cold 30 minutes prior, no sign of any issue until I noticed a loss of power going 15 mph uphill. Within 50-70 yards I was at a full stop. Just as I reached the stop a plume of white smoke came from under my drivers door(down wind side) followed by at least a foot and a half of flame. Everyone got out ok, I had to go back into the back seat to get one of my labs out who was frozen with fear. You don't want to be me. First time around a truck fire and I can tell you it went up quick but then I think it was fully involved before I knew it.

So sorry to see that but glad everyone is OK. Scary stuff for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread