Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

Will_T

Reaction score
I did however have to buy a new dipstick because the dealer would not return my original one.
I have read they are instructed NOT to return the old one to the customer. I know some have given them back but supposedly they are not to do that. I wonder why they even designed the new one so short? Couldn't they just have made a locking one the same length as the orig?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I have read they are instructed NOT to return the old one to the customer. I know some have given them back but supposedly they are not to do that. I wonder why they even designed the new one so short? Couldn't they just have made a locking one the same length as the orig?
It’s been discussed here before, but given how fast they pushed this fix it’s likely that they didn’t design a new shirt dipstick, but rather found an existing one that would work and cut them short so that people wouldn’t get incorrect readings from them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Or get the ATS device and call it a day. That’s what I’m doing as I don’t like their solution.
That wont keep the vent from plugging up. You could just extend the vent yourself and only pay 5$ for the rubber hose to extend it then you wont have that issue and no need for the ats gimmic

flan

Reaction score
Just pull your old one out a block away from the dealer and hide it. If they ask, play dumb. What are they gonna do?

railroadgoat

Reaction score
Update on my recall. The dipstick they replace for your old one is about 15 inches long. It says right on it "not for checking fluid level". It has a locking feature on it. I did get to keep my old dipstick but when I tried to check my fluid this morning, 1/20, it shows fluid level low. 9400 miles and fluid is already low?? Now I will take it back to the dealer to try and see if it is actually low or if they did indeed change the tube?? I'm not to trusting of these dealers.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Update on my recall. The dipstick they replace for your old one is about 15 inches long. It says right on it "not for checking fluid level". It has a locking feature on it. I did get to keep my old dipstick but when I tried to check my fluid this morning, 1/20, it shows fluid level low. 9400 miles and fluid is already low?? Now I will take it back to the dealer to try and see if it is actually low or if they did indeed change the tube?? I'm not to trusting of these dealers.
Was the truck running and transmission up to temp when you checked it like it should be? Either its low or you are not checking it right those are the only 2 options they do not change the tube

Blackpowder

Reaction score
It seems silly that Ram/dealers would not let you keep the original dipstick, especially given the fact they still sell them (they are used on trucks outside the recall). My dealer had no issue returning the original dipstick (I asked before I took it in).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It seems silly that Ram/dealers would not let you keep the original dipstick, especially given the fact they still sell them (they are used on trucks outside the recall). My dealer had no issue returning the original dipstick (I asked before I took it in).

The reason is likely not RAM but NHTSA requiring them to do that because they know some people will just toss the new dipstick and keep the old one in the dipstick tube instead

railroadgoat

Reaction score
Went back to the dealer today, 1/20, and had him explain what they did. Old dipstick tube stays, they replace old dipstick with one about 15 inches long with cap lock. Of no use to check fluid level. They want to keep the old dipstick as like the poster above said, they are afraid people will throw away the short one and go back to original. As far as the vent, he told me they are sent a short tube with elbow and another short tube, L, and something like zip tie to connect it. I should have ask him, if people bring their truck in for fluid check will they document that?? If not, Ram will be off the hook for tranny repairs??

Blackpowder

Reaction score
The reason is likely not RAM but NHTSA requiring them to do that because they know some people will just toss the new dipstick and keep the old one in the dipstick tube instead
I can understand this line of reasoning, as it will help deter this from happening. However, the existing dipsticks are cheap and readily available, so it would be easy to undo this "half" of the recall (knowingly or unknowingly). If Ram or the NHTSA considered this combination a safety issue (new vent, old dipstick), the fix missed the mark. I don't have any plans to do this, and hopefully I don't leave the old stick in there after checking the fluid level :)

Razzman

Reaction score
So I stopped by the dealer to discuss this yesterday, they told me they don't have the parts and they will be ordered when you come in for your next service. Ok whatever. When i stated I'm not happy with the solution and may not do this he states that RAM designated this as a safety issue and if not done they can block the vehicle registration being renewed. What?! Never heard this one, so I said well then it may show up without the dipstick and he says; oh well we can't help that. smh

Last edited:

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
Well my dealer must be pretty cool then. Took it in for recall, they put in the new short locking dipstick and vent, and then disposed of the old one as required, (on the floor of back seat area). Now I can still check my own fluid! Just keep it in the toolbox now.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I am not member of the oil-burner crowd, but I did hang around my dealer's tech area the other day for some suspension review. I watched the tech apply the "fix" on a brand new Tradesman...before it could go out the door. OE dipstick was cleaned and went into the rear floorboard. I got to hold the new vent tube...an elbow with a cap and a ziptie. The new dipstick was as described with a lock that is identical to the ones I've seen on my GM products, only this FCA one is totally unusable as what it is on this truck. My dealer is sending them all back with the owner, but they are making sure to discuss the reason for the lock, etc. etc.

flan

Reaction score
So now they will be changing the tube and the dipstick again too? What a joke lol
Seems like it, if you bitch about it. Maybe that was a quick thing just so they could get trucks on the road safe until they could have these manufactured?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Seems like it, if you bitch about it. Maybe that was a quick thing just so they could get trucks on the road safe until they could have these manufactured?
They could have easily just made the dipstick only… i wonder if it gets the dipstick hole further from the turbo possibly?

Actually looking at it maybe thats not the fix and only the short stick otherwise we should see it sticking out of the bottom of the tube…

Users who are viewing this thread