Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

Nd79

Reaction score
I just put a zip tie barely snugged down through the trans dip stick handle looped back to the dip stick tube bracket. I'll keep it there until the recall is done on my truck. I'm not too worried about it though and always keep an eye on trans temps which are always well within check.

I have just under 40k (should be closer to 60k in about a year) and if they have to drop the trans pan for the recall, I'm going to ask them to replace the filters too and count it as my first trans service.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

flan

Reaction score
I was a little worried when I heard about the recall since my truck is barely 3 months old. Glad the repair/fix doesn't sound as bad as I thought.
Less invasive than the earlier 4.5 gen 68rfe recall. That included a valve body removal.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
I'll still let them get in a month or so of recalls done to get the kinks out, then I'll take mine in.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Shouldn't they be looking at the cause of the over pressurizing of the trans? A new dipstick and vent sounds like a "kick the can down the road" fix.
If it’s not venting properly…

Will_T

Reaction score
If it’s not venting properly…
Please excuse my question but I really know next to nothing about transmissions. Is there already a vent and that is being replaced by a new design? Or are they installing a vent where there is none now? If there is a vent, where on the transmission is it? Is it accessible without any problem?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Please excuse my question but I really know next to nothing about transmissions. Is there already a vent and that is being replaced by a new design? Or are they installing a vent where there is none now? If there is a vent, where on the transmission is it? Is it accessible without any problem?
Yes there is already a vent on top of the trans. It’s pretty tight up there. If I had to change the one on mine, I would just immediately unbolt the trans mount from the frame rails so I could lower the trans a little bit.
B8C59C09-D050-4BEE-9362-FB3E1624E777.jpeg

techman

Reaction score
My question still stands. This affects a subset of a very popular transmission. Assuming minor changes to the design over the years, what is about the 2020-2023 units that is causing the pressurization that the stock vent isn't coping with? Thus requiring a new dipstick/vent assembly?

Pearce

Reaction score
techman, after seeing what that vent looks like I would guess in that location the very few amount of trucks that had this problem may have gotten a clogged vent. Dirt, debris or whatever may have caked it up. And the issue happened enough times to warrant a design change. But just a guess

Pearce

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's a bad design. The 4L60e I put in my crawler came stock with a vent tube about 3' long to run up the firewall. They saved on a $20 part.

techman

Reaction score
That makes more sense now. During COVID, I'm sure the vent was probably substituted or just made cheaply due to supply chain. Well, FCA is paying for it now.

That picture of the vent and all the gunk that builds up over time is quite interesting.

cp1980

Reaction score
I just put a zip tie barely snugged down through the trans dip stick handle looped back to the dip stick tube bracket. I'll keep it there until the recall is done on my truck. I'm not too worried about it though and always keep an eye on trans temps which are always well within check.

I have just under 40k (should be closer to 60k in about a year) and if they have to drop the trans pan for the recall, I'm going to ask them to replace the filters too and count it as my first trans service.
I'm new to owning a diesel and I've read about the regen burning smell. Could the burning smell also be associated with the transmission fluid leak?
And would placing a zip tie on the dip stick handle cause problems because now there's no vent for the pressure build up?

Nd79

Reaction score
I guess if the transmission did fall under the specific circumstances for such high pressure to happen I would be blocking it with the zip tie, but it's just not supposed to vent that way to begin with.

I actually got on the list at my local dealer to have this recall done when they get parts and the fix is a locking dip stick (essentially what I mimicked with a zip tie) and a different/new vent tube on top of the trans.

I also tow 9-10 months out of the year and have never had the trans dip stick push itself out from pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread