Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

KBob

Reaction score
The manager clearly has no idea what he is saying… they would do the TSB instead of the recall as they dont allow any CP4 replacements anymore unless the service manage wants to pay the labour out of his pocket….
That was my thought about putting in another CP4, and I questioned him about that to be sure I understood what he was saying. Manager: "if the one in your truck fails we will put the same new pump back in until my recall parts arrive"
The dealership sells mostly heavy duty trucks to area farmers, and almost every vehicle on a lift in the shop was a RAM HD, so at least they should be familiar with them.
I did call Ram Cares, and ask if they should have checked my screen today, and the call center lady with an accent seemed to indicate they should have looked at the screen. She did call the shop and ask about it, and gave me a case number, so we shall see. 120 mile round trip to the dealer is not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to have had the screen checked out. Otherwise they were supposed to "look for leaks", and listen for bad noises which mine has neither.

Razzman

Reaction score
Well got it back, they didn’t start it until late in the day Friday so finished it up today. Took a pic and it looks identical to the pic posted on page 14, post 278. May just be me but I’ll swear it idles smoother, even the wife noticed and said that before I did.
90AED901-C831-4B20-BA8A-3466937DF656.jpeg

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I Took mine in today, after the Service guy looked at the recall instructions he said the protocol has changed and if the truck comes in running they replace the pump as per the recall, they don't do "inspections" prior anymore, just order the pump and whatever parts they need for the recall, I was there maybe 10 minutes.
I'm ok with that for now, my truck has 22,000 miles on it and I've used HSS since day one and I just did a filter change about 400 miles ago and the filters were clean (no glitter in them) I assume they will do the "inspection" while they are replacing the pump and whatever else they need to do for the recall and if they find issues will order the parts needed at that time if they don't have them...

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I Took mine in today, after the Service guy looked at the recall instructions he said the protocol has changed and if the truck comes in running they replace the pump as per the recall, they don't do "inspections" prior anymore, just order the pump and whatever parts they need for the recall, I was there maybe 10 minutes.
I'm ok with that for now, my truck has 22,000 miles on it and I've used HSS since day one and I just did a filter change about 400 miles ago and the filters were clean (no glitter in them) I assume they will do the "inspection" while they are replacing the pump and whatever else they need to do for the recall and if they find issues will order the parts needed at that time if they don't have them...
damn, I don't like it if true. I would have taken my truck in to the dealer already but I'm still at work overseas, missed the window when they did the recall right

KBob

Reaction score
That mirrors my experience yesterday. If it's running, not leaking, or making noise during the "parts ordering check in" the dealer orders a pump, and that's it.
It makes sense in a way...... If I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a pump, and are still driving the truck, it's condition could have changed in that time before it is brought in for the recall?
I just wish my dealer had told me the protocol had recently changed. I know they have been doing them for a while now.

Off topic, but the dealer had (6) RAM Cummins sitting on the lot. Basic Long Horns, and Tradesmans because that's their bread and butter with the local farmers. To buy one like my 2020 Tradesman would cost me $20,000 MORE than what I paid during the spring of 2020 during the middle of the pandemic shutdown.

MikeXM

Reaction score
That mirrors my experience yesterday. If it's running, not leaking, or making noise during the "parts ordering check in" the dealer orders a pump, and that's it.
It makes sense in a way...... If I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a pump, and are still driving the truck, it's condition could have changed in that time before it is brought in for the recall?
I just wish my dealer had told me the protocol had recently changed. I know they have been doing them for a while now.

Off topic, but the dealer had (6) RAM Cummins sitting on the lot. Basic Long Horns, and Tradesmans because that's their bread and butter with the local farmers. To buy one like my 2020 Tradesman would cost me $20,000 MORE than what I paid during the spring of 2020 during the middle of the pandemic shutdown.
How? They are selling over list price??

MikeXM

Reaction score
CP4 replacement scheduled next week. Good timing, the fuel filters were getting at their end of life.

Razzman

Reaction score
CP4 replacement scheduled next week. Good timing, the fuel filters were getting at their end of life.
Fuel filters were not part of the recall unless you have glitter where they then perform the extensive repair. Mine are at 15% and they stated not included, just got mine done yesterday.

KBob

Reaction score
How? They are selling over list price??
I didn't think so until I looked at their web site, I bought mine way under list, and the price has gone up that much. MSRP $64,000 to $66,000 They were marked up around $500 to $1500 or so over list after looking at the web page. I paid $47,400 in 2020. Cummins option was $9600 now.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
So I was feeling alright today and decided to see if the dealer would put my keys and work order in my truck so I could pick it up after hours and drop off my 5500.

I think some stuff is missing on the work order, all it said was they replaced the DPF temperature sensor, no mention of an actual DPF replacement. Wasn't feeling up to crawling around on the ground to see if there was actually a new DPF under the truck, but maybe I'll look tomorrow after I get some rest tonight.

Also under the Y78 Recall section, the only part number listed was for a module kit CSRLY781AA, but there's definitely a shiny new HPFP under the hood...

So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MikeXM

Reaction score
Fuel filters were not part of the recall unless you have glitter where they then perform the extensive repair. Mine are at 15% and they stated not included, just got mine done yesterday.
I know. I'm just saying since filters are done, I'll have them change the filters at the same time, hoping they check for glitter since you aren't sure it is still part of the procedure (Well, maybe they won't but I can always ask...). In any cases, they have to be replaced.

Last edited:

Dave 3500 Dually HO

Reaction score
Well got it back, they didn’t start it until late in the day Friday so finished it up today. Took a pic and it looks identical to the pic posted on page 14, post 278. May just be me but I’ll swear it idles smoother, even the wife noticed and said that before I did.
View attachment 38364
I just got mine back today. My dealer in NW Ohio had the kit in stock and able to get it done in 2 days. My truck worked great before and after replacement. Below are before and after pics.

Attachments

• 33CB0ED4-4E05-445C-93A1-79B3489222C9.jpeg
    33CB0ED4-4E05-445C-93A1-79B3489222C9.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 45F27FFD-9E24-4C0F-98D4-A572771B1644.jpeg
    45F27FFD-9E24-4C0F-98D4-A572771B1644.jpeg
    646.6 KB · Views: 101

Bocephus

Reaction score
He’s prolly from Canada. Apparently there getting better treatment up north

Users who are viewing this thread