Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

g00fy

Reaction score
I just spoke with my dealer again, they said they sent the driver out to a dealership about 1.5 hours away to get my DPF around 9 this morning and he hasn't gotten back yet. So most likely my truck won't be ready till Monday.

Initially I figured the DPF code I threw, P24C9, was just bum sensor and no big deal since my wifes Diesel Chevy Equinox happened to throw a code for the same sensor a couple months earlier and hers was replaced and back on the road in a day. However, I could clear my wifes CEL and it would go away for several weeks at a time, I cleared the CEL in my truck and it would usually come back in a day.

Until I found out the whole DPF was shot, and my truck "Failed" the Y78, I never considered the CEL could've been related to a failing CP4.

Razzman

Reaction score
Dropped mine off at 8AM this morning and talked with the SM, he's a straight shooter and tells it like it is. I asked if they'd done any so far and he said "nope", so I stated then i'm the guinea pig lol. He told me they are prepared, all their diesel techs took the online training, are familiar with all the parts and know what to do. We'll see I guess.

Razzman

Reaction score
I dropped my new-to-me 2019 off at a SF Bay Area dealer yesterday. They addressed the Z20 recall (ESC Malfunction) and approved me for the Y78 recall (HPFP). I'm 8th on their list and they are able to get 2 kits per week, which means it'll be my turn in a month.
Wow what dealer? I use Stoneridge in Pleasanton, a big well known dealer and they didn't even have a list. I'm #1 lol

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Wow what dealer? I use Stoneridge in Pleasanton, a big well known dealer and they didn't even have a list. I'm #1 lol
Putnam CJDR in Burlingame. I thought I might get lucky because no one drives big diesel pickups in San Francisco but I guess not!

steve49

Reaction score
Took my 2019 in today for the windshield wiper and Stability control recalls, the fuel pump recall inspection, no metal shavings found so fuel pump kit ordered. They had one truck with a failed pump on the lot so I'm number two on the list.

Wrangler

Reaction score
How is it some dealership are doing recalls on 2019 and others not. As Rodney Dangerfield said gotta grease the hands

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dropped mine off at 8AM this morning and talked with the SM, he's a straight shooter and tells it like it is. I asked if they'd done any so far and he said "nope", so I stated then i'm the guinea pig lol. He told me they are prepared, all their diesel techs took the online training, are familiar with all the parts and know what to do. We'll see I guess.
Its not a hard job if they cant do the pump swap they should not be a mechanic

Steevo

Reaction score
Finally got an appointment for 8am on 5/31 to have the "Inspection" done for the CP4 recall.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Right. I mean, there's plenty of shadetree wrenches that have done the CP3 swaps...

The only part of that TSB that scares me a little is them taking the "time" to get it timed right per the instructions.

72guy

Reaction score
Took my 2019 in today for the windshield wiper and Stability control recalls, the fuel pump recall inspection, no metal shavings found so fuel pump kit ordered. They had one truck with a failed pump on the lot so I'm number two on the list.
Your kit is ordered but did they tell you that the parts are available?
I found out on Thursday that I’m number one on the list but parts are not available. My VIN and ESN are entered into the system so that when parts for the 2019 become available the dealership will be notified and they will then put me on the schedule.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Y
Right. I mean, there's plenty of shadetree wrenches that have done the CP3 swaps...

The only part of that TSB that scares me a little is them taking the "time" to get it timed right per the instructions.
Yea its not normal for dealer techs to take the time to do anything under flatrate

Wayne007

Reaction score
The way I see it is, we're farther ahead than we were a year ago. Now there's actually a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I'm glad I stuck it out because I still love my truck!

KBob

Reaction score
So I dropped my 2019 off Sunday night for all open recalls including Y78, and a CEL related to a DPF sensor.

Late in the day Tuesday they called and said that my truck "Failed" the Y78 inspection they did monday, and they just got the parts in so they should have the truck done wednesday or thursday.

Well, Thursday they called and said all my recalls were done, but when they dug into that DPF temperature sensor CEL they found i needed a whole new DPF and they just secured the parts from another dealer so my truck should be ready friday (today).

I'm wondering now if my CP4 was failing and caused a sooting issue that clogged up the DPF? I had just done my fuel filters last week and i saw no evidence of glitter anywhere, so I'm really curious to see what the documents say when i pick the truck up.
Great Info!
I'm behind the curve on the DPF temp sensor recall. Must be a 2019 thing?

Going in for the Y78 inspection Monday morning after just completing my 4 day 1500 mile trip towing 8K. This truck runs so well I really hope all they have to do is replace the pump, and that doesn't change anything. Got between 10, to 13 MPG depending on the wind, and motor is so smooth at idle it feels like my gas SUV. Did my first oil change at 5K, and have 13,500 on it now, all towing. Never added a drop, and the oil is still in the safe zone. Valvoline 5W40 synthetic.

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
Your kit is ordered but did they tell you that the parts are available?
I found out on Thursday that I’m number one on the list but parts are not available. My VIN and ESN are entered into the system so that when parts for the 2019 become available the dealership will be notified and they will then put me on the schedule.
I haven't been told otherwise and since some with the 2019's have had their dealerships receive the parts, I'm assuming all good but we'll see! It's obvious from reading all these posts on the two different threads here, the dealerships are all over the place with regard to whether they know parts are available, or whether they're following the inspection procedure or not prior to ordering a kit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I haven't been told otherwise and since some with the 2019's have had their dealerships receive the parts, I'm assuming all good but we'll see! It's obvious from reading all these posts on the two different threads here, the dealerships are all over the place with regard to whether they know parts are available, or whether they're following the inspection procedure or not prior to ordering a kit.
Some dealers are doing their best to not have to do the recalls it seems by just saying its not available still for the 2020s

Razzman

Reaction score
That I know, I could have done it. But at 66 with two compressed discs I can't get in there to do it anymore, kills me to have to take it to the dealer but I have no choice. Now i think he was simply assuring me they knew what they are doing. But then I'm not sure as he called me at 3:30PM asking to keep it as they got a late start on it smh.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Great Info!
I'm behind the curve on the DPF temp sensor recall. Must be a 2019 thing?

Going in for the Y78 inspection Monday morning after just completing my 4 day 1500 mile trip towing 8K. This truck runs so well I really hope all they have to do is replace the pump, and that doesn't change anything. Got between 10, to 13 MPG depending on the wind, and motor is so smooth at idle it feels like my gas SUV. Did my first oil change at 5K, and have 13,500 on it now, all towing. Never added a drop, and the he oil is still in the safe zone. Valvoline 5W40 synthetic.

So I dropped my 2019 off Sunday night for all open recalls including Y78, and a CEL related to a DPF sensor.

I didn't read his statement as claiming there was a DPF sensor recall (in his case). That comma in there, and perhaps also the use of "and" instead of "including," was important to make that distinction.

That said, there *is/was* an open DPF sensor recall on the 2022 trucks that shipped without said sensor. Haven't seen yet if they're fixing those (install sensor and flash the ECU).

KBob

Reaction score
I didn't read his statement as claiming there was a DPF sensor recall (in his case). That comma in there, and perhaps also the use of "and" instead of "including," was important to make that distinction.

That said, there *is/was* an open DPF sensor recall on the 2022 trucks that shipped without said sensor. Haven't seen yet if they're fixing those (install sensor and flash the ECU).
Got it.... Read right over the "CEL" check engine light part. To damn many Acronyms on vehicles these days, get them mixed up.

Ed95pont

Reaction score
My Local Dealer in Torrington Ct told me it was a big job and they wont be doing them for a few months. He eluded that he was short on diesel techs. At least he was honest. My truck is going in Tuesday to Papa's Dodge in New Britain Ct. Inspection first and told either kit is a day after inspection.

I am do a fuel filter change is that part of the pump only no glitter recall?

Users who are viewing this thread