Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

jhdram4

Reaction score
bought three vehicles over the past year.

accord required a $300 deposit that was refundable, I gave them a check and they literally gave it back to me when I bought the car
tahoe had a $1k deposit that was refundable
22 Ram from Mark Dodge, I was in the group when they were still accepting deposits by credit/debit card. heard they are only accepting wire transfers now since people were contesting the charges on the credit card when they decided to back out.

had talked to several other regional dealers on tahoes/yukons and was told although the deposits were non-refundable, they had refunded several

Local dealers probably are more flexible on deposits - they have 1 buyer back out, not as big of an issue. Mark Dodge/Granger have more to lose if they have 10 trucks each month sold to the person that didn't order them.

I'd view it as, if you are 100% on board with buying what you are ordering, it's a no brainer. If you have a feeling you may back out for whatever reason, I'd pass on it
I can confirm MD is only accepting wire transfers right which is how I funded my 1K to them. I ordered Jan23rd.

Drew M

Reaction score
I can confirm MD is only accepting wire transfers right which is how I funded my 1K to them. I ordered Jan23rd.
Granger too. I can't remember if it was on my CC or from my Checking/Savings. It was no biggie, as I saw it as a sign of the times. When I bought my wife's Honda in November, I had to put $1000 down.

My local Dodge Dealer only wanted $500 down, but their "great deal" was only $500 MSRP. The other hidden cost some dealers have is a "Market Adjustment", a charge you pay for the right to buy a vehicle from them. A hold over form COVID.

Drew M

Reaction score
bought three vehicles over the past year.

accord required a $300 deposit that was refundable, I gave them a check and they literally gave it back to me when I bought the car
tahoe had a $1k deposit that was refundable
22 Ram from Mark Dodge, I was in the group when they were still accepting deposits by credit/debit card. heard they are only accepting wire transfers now since people were contesting the charges on the credit card when they decided to back out.

had talked to several other regional dealers on tahoes/yukons and was told although the deposits were non-refundable, they had refunded several

Local dealers probably are more flexible on deposits - they have 1 buyer back out, not as big of an issue. Mark Dodge/Granger have more to lose if they have 10 trucks each month sold to the person that didn't order them.

I'd view it as, if you are 100% on board with buying what you are ordering, it's a no brainer. If you have a feeling you may back out for whatever reason, I'd pass on it
I think the $1k "non refundable" deposit is also to protect their allotment numbers. I'm sure they can easily sell vehicles from cancelled orders for close to MSRP, but I think there are other numbers, quotas, and incentives at risk. The bigger the volume of pre-order sales , the more sustaining the process and profits are. I see volume online dealers like Granger, MD, and others redefining how we buy vehicles in the future. The days of the "used car salesman" hustles are diminishing.

Alligator John

Reaction score
I knew from lurking on this forum what I could expect with the volume dealers. Local dealer was so high and adding on stuff before even making the sale, I told them we were so far apart in numbers it would be a waste of time for both of us to negotiate. Even after I told the manager it was too late because I had already wired the deposit to an out of state dealer, his salesman tried to call me so many times over the next three days I thought I was going to have to block the number. MD saved me around $8000 to $9000 and it was so nice to not have to go through the "hustle" game. I was more than happy to wire the $1000 deposit.

jebruns

Reaction score
With the established folks, there is no worry with the $1000 non-refundable deposit, IMO. I had to give that to Granger as well. Pretty sure they took a CC for it. My only advice to get everything you've agreed on in writing/email first. Like locked in MSRP, factory can't make any changes to your order, etc.

Drew M

Reaction score
Volume dealers have found a niche and seem to do everything they can to improve their sales.
Requiring deposits is no different than what our local deals do. Thinking of a “deposit” as a down payment lessens the sting.
It’s a commitment from the buyer to buy the vehicle at the contracted price.
This is my first online purchase has been a different “process”. The requirements that Granger (and I’m sure MD) has is no different than most local dealers have.

jhas

Reaction score
Volume dealers have found a niche and seem to do everything they can to improve their sales.
Requiring deposits is no different than what our local deals do. Thinking of a “deposit” as a down payment lessens the sting.
It’s a commitment from the buyer to buy the vehicle at the contracted price.
This is my first online purchase has been a different “process”. The requirements that Granger (and I’m sure MD) has is no different than most local dealers have.

jhas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.......
Is Granger in Orange, TX? they just quoted me MSRP! Gotta be the wrong dealer.
Also, found a dealer in Austin who gave me within $450 of MD.....

buzzuti

Reaction score
Curious, I am near Austin.
Which dealer was that?

Alligator John

Reaction score
Just for trivia, when I was looking at all the different makes and models of trucks at a car show last year and kept coming back during the day to ask more questions, a national chevy rep pulled me aside to answer my questions privately. She told me I needed to get out of DFW to shop around and told me I probably would have to go out of state to find the price I was wanting to pay. And we were talking about trucks in general at the time, not just Chevys.

Drew M

Reaction score
Granger is in Granger, IA. About 20 min north of Des Moines.

Drew M

Reaction score
Just for trivia, when I was looking at all the different makes and models of trucks at a car show last year and kept coming back during the day to ask more questions, a national chevy rep pulled me aside to answer my questions privately. She told me I needed to get out of DFW to shop around and told me I probably would have to go out of state to find the price I was wanting to pay. And we were talking about trucks in general at the time, not just Chevys.
I think this is true also for most dealerships that are not internet/online sellers. I believe that in order to maintain a decent profit margin, you need to reduce overhead. One way to reduce overhead is to reduce labor. Internet sales is a way to increase volume and reduce labor. Increased volume allows for more manufacturer incentives to the dealer. We as buyers see those incentives with ~4% below Invoice prices.

Redfour5

Reaction score
It appears that prices MSRP are starting to crack on 2500's at least. This started months ago on 1500's, but now FINALLY on HD's... February started with a simple 1K discount from Ram but all of a sudden, something is going on at least for 2500's. Since the beginning of the month, I got in a mail a "special to me as a 2500 buyer" extra one thousand rebate offer. So, that was 2K off as I was considering going to a LImited to get the Ram Boxes... and air suspension...

So, there was the regular country wide 1K off "bonus cash" then I got the "in the mail" offer as a present 2500 owner.... NOW... "Sell-down" bonus that can be stacked on the regular bonus cash. And then a 1K incentive for buying a 6.4 Hemi (what I wanted).

OF interest, at the beginning of February, there was ONLY the 1K Bonus Cash. The other things have just popped up in the last few days...

Cash Offer from Ram​

Sell-Down Bonus Cash (28HNP)

Details​

Applies to select new 2022 Ram 2500.

$1,000 cash back

Then, IF you want a 6.4 Hemi, they are offering 1K now to move those...

Cash Offer from Ram​

West BC Engine Bonus Cash (WECN1K)

Details​

Applies to select new 2022 Ram 2500.

$1,000 cash back

So, at this point,

Effective Feb 1, 2023 through Feb 28, 2023

So, that is Four K off the price. Then, in Sandy Utah Larry Miller, is offering a "dealer discount" of 1200 off of the MSRP. So, at that point, we are talking over 6K off of MSRP.

Of course, before all of this at the third of the month, I had gotten them down to about 79K by simple negotiation BEFORE all the new incentives popped up. IF those had been stacked on what I was able to negotiate, it would have been tempting...but bottom line for me was present interest rates adding around 180 bucks a month to a payment vs the 3.24% I got last March on my Laramie 6.4 Hemi 2500.

I was at a turning point on whether to keep my present Laramie or go one last time to get exactly what I wanted. I had purchased new front rear bumpers and either put em on my old one or new one. I decided to just keep the present one as it isn't exactly a bare bones truck moved on...

But, if Chrysler Capital had had a decent rate deal at the beginning of the month, I would have likely jumped with all this in the mix now... But, I also know once the pricing "breaks," it usually keeps going... So, I wouldn't be surprised to see rate deals sometime soon. I ain't paying 9% to 10% with great credit on a loan...

Oh, a great auto loan calculator can be found at https://www.calculator.net/auto-loan-calculator.html It is a .net website and so has zero ads in your face but has all the pieces you need, simple and intuitive if you are comparing...

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't really negotiate. I'm in NJ, right outside Philly & everyone around here is getting full MSRP so I was going to order from Koons but couldn't get to them before the Feb 1st deadline on the promotion they were running. Saw Mark Dodge mentioned with a better overall discount so we just jumped right on it once they gave me a quote.

Build your Ram Net price: $88,030
MSRP: $85,745
MARK DODGE PRICE: $76,723
Delivery to NJ: $1200 but I'll likely fly down & drive it back

here is a link to the build ...https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_2500.2022.html#/build/powertrain/08318/CUT202314DJ7X91B/2TR/PAU-QXJ,X9,ESB,DFX,DMF,Z7F,WRD,NL,APD,A65,ANT,AAN,RCA,XF5,SJE,XAN,LSA,SEB,LHL,LPD,NHK,XXS,MY7,CLE,XB9,UBQ,XMF,2GR

Last edited:

m3rd

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of ordering a Cummins Rebel. I am engaged with two dealers. Dealer A is known on this forum. Dealer B is local to me. Both are offering the same % off invoice and the 1% Tread Lightly discount. Dealer A will protect the entire sales price. Dealer B only the base, not options (Level 2 and Towing Tech). On the Rebel there is a customer preferred package (2HR) which deducts $1095 from the MSRP ($1008 from invoice). This would not be protected by Dealer B. Dealer A is 3.5 hour drive from me and is $500 more than that Dealer A due to higher fees.

So, do I pay $500 in “insurance” to lock the price, or do I attempt to save $500 in hopes that RAM does not raise option prices or drops preferred package 2HR in the next 4-6 months?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I’d
I am in the final stages of ordering a Cummins Rebel. I am engaged with two dealers. Dealer A is known on this forum. Dealer B is local to me. Both are offering the same % off invoice and the 1% Tread Lightly discount. Dealer A will protect the entire sales price. Dealer B only the base, not options (Level 2 and Towing Tech). On the Rebel there is a customer preferred package (2HR) which deducts $1095 from the MSRP ($1008 from invoice). This would not be protected by Dealer B. Dealer A is 3.5 hour drive from me and is $500 more than that Dealer A due to higher fees.

So, do I pay $500 in “insurance” to lock the price, or do I attempt to save $500 in hopes that RAM does not raise option prices or drops preferred package 2HR in the next 4-6 months?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I’d negotiate with the dealer who will price protect the entire thing. If they won’t, hit up the local dealer and request they price protect the entire thing. One will pop, in the unlikely event they don’t, go with the dealer local
To you as i think the prices will go up but not 500$, plus 3.5 hours x 2 plus fuel, not worth it

Users who are viewing this thread