Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Post Payload Sticker from Driver's Door Jamb.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
**** - I need to lose some weight if that's supposed to be the average HD driver.
Me too i have not been that light since i was in school many decades ago

Reactions: CFE

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
They have to use something...

The max tow rating is really a marketing number anyways, the tongue weight used is too low to give an accurate representation.
That is what I meant. I know they have to use a number. But, it works for nothing other than giving false hope to buyers...

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I do. I wish I took a pic of my friends, same year/model in the ignition orange with the 20's. His payload was in the 1500's.

View attachment 61829

For reference, same truck with 20" wheels.

View attachment 61831
Awesome. Thanks

Wish I could find one for the 20 inch wheels.

They lowered the GVWR 700 lbs. To 6200. Which, I guess is why I assumed they used a different spring rate. I could have swore I read about that back when they came out.

So, interesting as the new 1500s have 22 inch wheels and no loss of GVWR!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks

Wish I could find one for the 20 inch wheels.

They lowered the GVWR 700 lbs. To 6200. Which, I guess is why I assumed they used a different spring rate. I could have swore I read about that back when they came out.

So, interesting as the new 1500s have 22 inch wheels and no loss of GVWR!
It's not the wheel size that matters, but the load rating on the wheels themselves. Those sport 22's just can't handle the weight. Some people on ramforum cracked their wheels trying to tow heavy with them. They'd crack in between the spokes. Just not a lot of material there.

They sure did look good though. Loved those wheels.

GVWR is based on how it's equipped at the factory.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the wheel size that matters, but the load rating on the wheels themselves. Those sport 22's just can't handle the weight. Some people on ramforum cracked their wheels trying to tow heavy with them. They'd crack in between the spokes. Just not a lot of material there.

I get it. It is just interesting that they gave a 17 inch spare. And lowered the GVWR...all for the wheels, but they got it figured out for the new ones. The Mopar trucks had a lower GVWR and so did the GTX trucks they built in the 3rd gens. Of course the SRT-10 trucks did too...but I thought they had some huge wheel too.

Just when you think you learned what Ma Mopar did, she throws you a curve.

Love learning stuff. I learned thanks to this group...that the tow mirrors that I thought debuted in 2003 actually were an option starting in 98.

Good stuff! Thanks for chatting about it!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

One more question. Was your truck 2wd? Are these trucks offered in both 2 and 4wd?

The axle ratings on your sticker are the same as a 2wd truck. If that is so, they allowed for the truck to be loaded the same but, knocked 700lbs off. If yours was 4wd they knocked 200 of the front but allowed the rear to be loaded the same. Good Stuff!

The towing chart is all over the place...gonna have to find some literature....lol

Riccochet

Reaction score
One more question. Was your truck 2wd? Are these trucks offered in both 2 and 4wd?

The axle ratings on your sticker are the same as a 2wd truck. If that is so, they allowed for the truck to be loaded the same but, knocked 700lbs off. If yours was 4wd they knocked 200 of the front but allowed the rear to be loaded the same. Good Stuff!

The towing chart is all over the place...gonna have to find some literature....lol
It was 2WD. I don't think the sport's came in 4WD, but I could be wrong. Every one of the "high impact" limited production sport's I've seen have all been 2WD. You could get the sport appearance package on a Bighorn in any config though, but they didn't come in those high impact colors.

What's also crazy is, according to Ram's towing website, my truck was rated to tow 10,400 lbs. LOL Not sure how that's possible with a 774 lb payload.

I rarely towed my camper with it, and when I did the campsite was only 30 minutes away on back roads. Pulled my bass boat like it wasn't even back there though. I towed that all over NC, SC, VA and TN with it. Within the first year of owning it I put a stage 2 cam, mds delete, phaser lockout, long tubes, 3.0L whipple and tuning on it. What a fun truck to drive, just wasn't practical. Wound up buying a 2007 2500 5.9 as a daily and to tow the camper long distances.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It was 2WD. I don't think the sport's came in 4WD, but I could be wrong. Every one of the "high impact" limited production sport's I've seen have all been 2WD. You could get the sport appearance package on a Bighorn in any config though, but they didn't come in those high impact colors.

What's also crazy is, according to Ram's towing website, my truck was rated to tow 10,400 lbs. LOL Not sure how that's possible with a 774 lb payload.

I rarely towed my camper with it, and when I did the campsite was only 30 minutes away on back roads. Pulled my bass boat like it wasn't even back there though. I towed that all over NC, SC, VA and TN with it. Within the first year of owning it I put a stage 2 cam, mds delete, phaser lockout, long tubes, 3.0L whipple and tuning on it. What a fun truck to drive, just wasn't practical. Wound up buying a 2007 2500 5.9 as a daily and to tow the camper long distances.
That is crazy then. So they gave it all the same axle ratings and GVWR as a regular 2wd but limited the payload. So, after years of the anti tow police telling people to ignore payload and just load to axle rates....we get this unicorn...

Was there some kinda information stating the wheels reduced payload? Or did you find that out from ramforum.

Interestingly there is all kinds of different GVWR ratings for 2wd crew cab trucks in 2017 and 2018 towing guides.

Towing properly and safely is such a fun rabbit hole...hahahaha

Riccochet

Reaction score
That is crazy then. So they gave it all the same axle ratings and GVWR as a regular 2wd but limited the payload. So, after years of the anti tow police telling people to ignore payload and just load to axle rates....we get this unicorn...

Was there some kinda information stating the wheels reduced payload? Or did you find that out from ramforum.

Interestingly there is all kinds of different GVWR ratings for 2wd crew cab trucks in 2017 and 2018 towing guides.

Towing properly and safely is such a fun rabbit hole...hahahaha
I called FCA and asked them directly. They stated the 22" sport wheels are not rated to carry more weight. I confirmed it when I pulled a wheel and looked at the load stamping on the back of it. They're for show, not towing/hauling. Otherwise the rest of the truck is the same. Swapping to different wheels with a higher load rating restores the payload.

This was only an issue with that particular wheel, whether polished or black. Longhorn, Limited and some Laramie 4th gen's came with different 22's that were not effected. All 5th gen 22's are not effected.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I called FCA and asked them directly. They stated the 22" sport wheels are not rated to carry more weight. I confirmed it when I pulled a wheel and looked at the load stamping on the back of it. They're for show, not towing/hauling. Otherwise the rest of the truck is the same. Swapping to different wheels with a higher load rating restores the payload.

This was only an issue with that particular wheel, whether polished or black. Longhorn, Limited and some Laramie 4th gen's came with different 22's that were not effected. All 5th gen 22's are not effected.

If that’s the case how did it have the same axle weight ratings?

Riccochet

Reaction score
If that’s the case how did it have the same axle weight ratings?
The axles ratings are separate from the wheels. You can get the same truck with the 20" wheels and not have a reduced payload.

Payload is determined based on equipment as assembled at the factory. The same axles are used regardless of what wheels are put on it.

You can put 1 ton axles on there, but with those 22" sport wheels you'd have even less payload. The wheels can't support the weight, the axles can.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The axles ratings are separate from the wheels. You can get the same truck with the 20" wheels and not have a reduced payload.

Payload is determined based on equipment as assembled at the factory. The same axles are used regardless of what wheels are put on it.

You can put 1 ton axles on there, but with those 22" sport wheels you'd have even less payload. The wheels can't support the weight, the axles can.

Yes, but if the axle ratings on the door sticker are the same then they can be loaded the same… the door placard axle ratings take the wheels into account.

The reduced payload truck still has a 3900lb rated rear axle, as installed and equipped.

Did you get the VIN specific website to work for that truck?

The 2017 1500 towing guide doesn’t actually cover that truck, since there aren’t any quad cab 4x2 trucks with a 6,200lb GVWR in the guide. That means the towing number is skewed by the difference in GVWR. A reduction of 700lbs of GVWR would reduce the tow rating by 7K lbs according to SAE J2807.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Yes, but if the axle ratings on the door sticker are the same then they can be loaded the same… the door placard axle ratings take the wheels into account.

The reduced payload truck still has a 3900lb rated rear axle, as installed and equipped.

Did you get the VIN specific website to work for that truck?

The 2017 1500 towing guide doesn’t actually cover that truck, since there aren’t any quad cab 4x2 trucks with a 6,200lb GVWR in the guide. That means the towing number is skewed by the difference in GVWR. A reduction of 700lbs of GVWR would reduce the tow rating by 7K lbs according to SAE J2807.

I'm not going to argue this with you. I called FCA about it and received the information directly from them. The only difference between my truck with a 774 lbs payload and one with 1500 lbs of payload is the wheels. 22" versus 20". What the axle can support doesn't mean squat if the wheels can't support it. If I loaded 1500 lbs in to the bed of that truck and went driving around I'd 100% break a wheel on the first pot hole or bump I hit. I was in a facebook group with other owners who experienced cracked/bent wheels while hauling less. Those wheels are light and weak. Great for racing though!

Ram's towing guides don't include all configurations. My specific truck config was a limited production. Only 3000 of each color were produced. But, when I looked up my vin on Ram's now defunct vin lookup site it showed 774 lbs of payload and 10,400 lbs towing capacity. Very odd, to say the least.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue this with you. I called FCA about it and received the information directly from them. The only difference between my truck with a 774 lbs payload and one with 1500 lbs of payload is the wheels. 22" versus 20". What the axle can support doesn't mean squat if the wheels can't support it. If I loaded 1500 lbs in to the bed of that truck and went driving around I'd 100% break a wheel on the first pot hole or bump I hit. I was in a facebook group with other owners who experienced cracked/bent wheels while hauling less. Those wheels are light and weak. Great for racing though!

Ram's towing guides don't include all configurations. My specific truck config was a limited production. Only 3000 of each color were produced. But, when I looked up my vin on Ram's now defunct vin lookup site it showed 774 lbs of payload and 10,400 lbs towing capacity. Very odd, to say the least.

You posted the axle rating from the truck, it’s not an argument with me. It’s printed right on the door, 3900lbs for the rear axle. That’s the same as other 1500’s… something doesn’t add up (pun intended), that’s all I’m pointing out.

Scvette

Reaction score
Just went out and looked at mine. Here’s a pic. 2022 Laramie Drw HO crew cab

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 82

HighlandRidge

Reaction score
'22 3500 H/O with air suspension pulls a 16K lbs 5th wheel from Utah to Glacier Montana to Florida & back like a champ ~ Love this beast of a truck!

Attachments

• IMG_20230821_170204909_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230821_170204909_HDR~2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread