Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Post Payload Sticker from Driver's Door Jamb.

wrvond

Reaction score
Well that doesn’t leave you much wiggle room, eh?

Not a lot, but more than I need with just the two of us. I don't carry much of anything inside the truck - that's what the camper is for and it's weighed fully loaded. Additionally, that pin weight was taken with the fresh water tank empty, that's 500 pounds at the rear of the camper that could be added which would lower that pin weight a bit. If push comes to shove I could always unload the basement and forward storage. The camper has a 300 pound rated receiver in the back and I've got plans to install a spare tire rack there and move the spare from the front storage to the rear.
I'm more concerned about sag than anything else. I'd just as soon not have to install air bags if I can avoid it.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Not a lot, but more than I need with just the two of us. I don't carry much of anything inside the truck - that's what the camper is for and it's weighed fully loaded. Additionally, that pin weight was taken with the fresh water tank empty, that's 500 pounds at the rear of the camper that could be added which would lower that pin weight a bit. If push comes to shove I could always unload the basement and forward storage. The camper has a 300 pound rated receiver in the back and I've got plans to install a spare tire rack there and move the spare from the front storage to the rear.
I'm more concerned about sag than anything else. I'd just as soon not have to install air bags if I can avoid it.
Sorry we're getting off topic here, but with a 5er on a 2500 you may want bags just for stability. The 2500 springs are mounted inboard of the frame and don't provide a lot of lateral stability when you have a heavy load up high (like a 5er).

Lonestar

Reaction score
2022 Bighorn 2500 4x4 6.4 hemi short bed

Attachments

• IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Buckrub

Reaction score
2023 Bighorn (Lonestar) 4X2 Cummins H.O with Aisin. Great CCC (Payload).........but this thing is beating me to death. Came from factory with 86 lbs of air in inside dually tires!!! Fixed that all around and still beats me to death. Might be due to El Cheapo tires (Nexen, whatever they are). Can't afford to drop them and get Michelins yet.

DoorJam1.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
2023 Bighorn (Lonestar) 4X2 Cummins H.O with Aisin. Great CCC (Payload).........but this thing is beating me to death. Came from factory with 86 lbs of air in inside dually tires!!! Fixed that all around and still beats me to death. Might be due to El Cheapo tires (Nexen, whatever they are). Can't afford to drop them and get Michelins yet.

View attachment 63373

What did you drop them to?

CdnHO

Reaction score

View attachment 63373
Drop duals to 35 unloaded.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Per sticker, or close to it. 70 front, 65 all 4 rear.

35?? Wow. Won't that ruin tires?

If you’re empty you can run lower than placard pressure, 35 is a good place to start and will still support a RAW of 6,280 lbs. The tires will be just fine until you exceed that weight.

Your ride will really improve, as will your traction.

Try to find free scales and weigh your rig at various loads.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Per sticker, or close to it. 70 front, 65 all 4 rear.

35?? Wow. Won't that ruin tires?
That pressure is based on the actual Cat Scale weight of my truck and the tire load inflation tables. (Actually it called for 30 psi). See the link in the post from @AH64ID obove. At the full sticker pressure of 65 psi you will wear out the center of the tires if you do a lot of unloaded miles. The proper pressure will always give you a flat footprint across the width of tire and the best ride for the tire load. Chrysler included light and full load pressures in past years but I am sure some lawyer convinced them that owners are stupid and don't know enough to air up tires when loading the truck.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Throw a few hundred pounds of sand bags in the bed. Really helps with the jarring from bumps.

Buckrub

Reaction score
Took back 4 down to 45, front to 60, made a world of difference. Slight vibration somewhere, but ok.

PRS

Reaction score
Took back 4 down to 45, front to 60, made a world of difference. Slight vibration somewhere, but ok.
Fronts should still be close to placard pressure. On mine with the 5th hooked the rear axle increased 4360# but the front axle only increased 40#, went from 5440 to 5480, which according to the table would be 70psi. That lower front pressure might be your vibration, especially with Nexens.

Last edited:

Nothotdog

Reaction score
Just for fun, here is mine (PW with pretty much everything). It isn't the lowest in the thread, I guess the bucket seats don't weigh as much as the front bench seat.

Payload.jpg

Nothotdog

Reaction score
Dang. I had 600 lbs more capacity in my 1500 o_O
Haha yep! The 1500 Limited that I had initially ordered (until I decided that a Power Wagon was what I really wanted) has about 60 lbs more capacity.

I knew that it was more likely I would do some mild off roading than tow or haul anything, and wanted something big (heavy duty). I figured that the softer suspension would make it okay for a daily driver.

I drove with the stated psi (60f/65r) for a bit and noticed that big bumps (pot holes and such) handled a lot smoother than my 2015 Subaru Legacy (that I got rid of), but I could certainly feel the smaller bumps a bit more.

I aired down to about 47f/44r and now the smaller bumps are about on par with the Legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread