Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Typically, they do first fill with break-in oil. They then do a hot test...only for a few minutes to check power and a good quality build...then ship it. That break-in oil is in the engine for the first oil drain interval...removed by customer/dealer on that first oil change.
That was the way they did it back in the day but they have not done that for 30 years at least i remember when they used to specify that was the case but the last time i ever heard that was the 80s… when they break in an engine now its just a long block hooked up to a machine that turns the crank the engine is not actually running on its own power

IowaPW

Reaction score
That was the way they did it back in the day but they have not done that for 30 years at least i remember when they used to specify that was the case but the last time i ever heard that was the 80s… when they break in an engine now its just a long block hooked up to a machine that turns the crank the engine is not actually running on its own power
That's called a cold test. It really isn't break-in at all. You are correct in that more and more are moving to this in industry. Some still do hot test.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's called a cold test. It really isn't break-in at all. You are correct in that more and more are moving to this in industry. Some still do hot test.
its more than enough of a break in for what modern engines need with how far engine building has come, its not your grand dads flat head V8 anymore or your dads 350ci where they were built and machined by people not CNC’s

IowaPW

Reaction score
its more than enough of a break in for what modern engines need with how far engine building has come, its not your grand dads flat head V8 anymore or your dads 350ci where they were built and machined by people not CNC’s
Lol. Alrighty then. Carry on!

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Typically, they do first fill with break-in oil. They then do a hot test...only for a few minutes to check power and a good quality build...then ship it. That break-in oil is in the engine for the first oil drain interval...removed by customer/dealer on that first oil change.
We do not use break in oils at work. We make 300k engines per year.
I think break in oils were used with high ZZDP content to help the tappet engines with the cam to not scuff. I still use that ZDDP additive in all of my engines.
Modern engines with roller followers do not need break in oil. Also not needed when tappets contact phosphate coated camshafts.
Break in oils with high ZDDP are supposed to damage catalysts but we never tested that. That is a reason they are not used any more.

IowaPW

Reaction score
We do not use break in oils at work. We make 300k engines per year.
I think break in oils were used with high ZZDP content to help the tappet engines with the cam to not scuff. I still use that ZDDP additive in all of my engines.
Modern engines with roller followers do not need break in oil. Also not needed when tappets contact phosphate coated camshafts.
Break in oils with high ZDDP are supposed to damage catalysts but we never tested that. That is a reason they are not used any more.
Good point. Break in oil can mean different things for sure. For some, it can mean slightly different viscosity.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good point. Break in oil can mean different things for sure. For some, it can mean slightly different viscosity.
No break in oil is specifically labeled break in oil…

IowaPW

Reaction score
No break in oil is specifically labeled break in oil…
To the public.;) The traditional break-in oils have evolved for sure. In some cases, the term break-in oil is probably better termed "ship away" oil. Some use a lighter viscosity oil for the first oil drain interval while there are tighter engine clearances.

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
So what is the best oil for these Cummins 6.7 diesels? I have heard for oil filters that Fleet guard and Stratapore LF16035 are good.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Y’all really going 15k miles between changes? Just got my new truck and saw the Maintence schedule and nearly fell out of my chair. Does it consume oil?

My 6.0 power stroke gets changed every 5k and even that makes me nervous. I put in 14qts and 11 come out with no leaks. It just eats it and black as night.
6.0 power stroke would make me nervous going to the end of the driveway

flan

Reaction score
So what is the best oil for these Cummins 6.7 diesels? I have heard for oil filters that Fleet guard and Stratapore LF16035 are good.
16035 is a great filter. T6 5/40 is a great oil. T6 is a little tough to come by right now. There are others as well but if you run anything that meets the same spec you will be in good shape.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Its tough to say what a good oil is.
Do you run a certain oil for hundreds of hours and take the engine apart, measure everything which is a wear item and do it again with another new engine and a different oil?
Has anyone experienced an engine failure due to poor oil?

My perspective is following:
A full synthetic oil is the best. It is made from natural gas, atoms are put together into molecules that do not allow easy oxidation. Oxygen atoms have a tough time connecting to the oil molecule chains. Oxidation damages the oil, that usually happens at elevated temperatures.
There should be a decent amount of ZDDP in the oil to mitigate wear but still protect the emissions systems
Detergent cleans the engine, most oils have a decent amount. Same with dispersants keeping contaminants from settling and making sludge.
Regarding Viscosity, I prefer a light oil XW30 or even XW20 due to improved fuel economy, lower friction, more HP, better cooling. When the engine is hot, it just flows more oil through the bearings cooling them down.
A light oil when cold 5WXX or even better 0WXX flows better to the bearings. It protects them from running "dry" at startup or shortly after.
Oils which have a big spread in the viscosity numbers like 5W50 have a lot of VI improvers. These break down and after some time you end up with an oil that is similar to a 10W30 as an example.
My perfect viscosity would be a 5W30 for the Cummins. Low VI improvers and light for good flow.

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
The only reason I ask is because in my prior truck, a 2006 F550 (Bullet Proofed of course) T6 was recommended and that's all I used in it with zero issues towing 20K+ all the time. I have heard elsewhere that the T6 is a great oil that the cummmins likes a swell. Thx all for the recommendations.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
The only reason I ask is because in my prior truck, a 2006 F550 (Bullet Proofed of course) T6 was recommended and that's all I used in it with zero issues towing 20K+ all the time. I have heard elsewhere that the T6 is a great oil that the cummmins likes a swell. Thx all for the recommendations.
15W-40 is not recommended for the 2019+ 6.7 Cummins because of the changes to the engine. Between the hydraulic lifters and higher demand on the turbo it can lead to issues such as excessive lifter noise, possibly eventually stuck lifters(read: a complete new engine) and a turbo that is coked with oil. None of which would be covered under warranty, I would most definitely follow the recommendations in the manual.

If you're interested in a high quality product, I'm an AMSOIL dealer and will help you get set up with what you need at the best price I can get you.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

IF you have any leftover 15W40 T6, don't use it in your 19+ Cummins for reasons stated.

T6 is available (when available) in 5W40.

mark44

Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to use oil that consumes in manual mode. These are proven manufacturers, I also use high-quality oil filters, here southwestexpresslube.com/oil-filter-for-6-7-cummins/ you can choose Oil Filter for 6.7 Cummins the filter that suits you, and find out about their characteristics

Last edited:

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
15W-40 is not recommended for the 2019+ 6.7 Cummins because of the changes to the engine. Between the hydraulic lifters and higher demand on the turbo it can lead to issues such as excessive lifter noise, possibly eventually stuck lifters(read: a complete new engine) and a turbo that is coked with oil. None of which would be covered under warranty, I would most definitely follow the recommendations in the manual.

If you're interested in a high quality product, I'm an AMSOIL dealer and will help you get set up with what you need at the best price I can get you.

IF you have any leftover 15W40 T6, don't use it in your 19+ Cummins for reasons stated.

T6 is available (when available) in 5W40.
Yeah not sure who mentioned 15W40, It is my understanding that 5W40 is recommended for these Cummins. In my old 6.0 I also ran the T6 5W40 and had zero issues. I wish I did have some leftover as I cant seem to find any around here. Might have to look into Amsoil? Its $154 for thee gallons of the T6 on Amazon! Yikes!!

Users who are viewing this thread