Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Nothing to do with filtration to me. It’s ease quality of construction for me.
Gotcha. I was going to say I thought the factory filtration rates were already up there, so wasn't sure what was **** about 'em.
What kit are you looking at?

Rockwell

Reaction score
I have always changed the rams oil at 4K kms, cheap insurance.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Did the first oil/filter change at 4K. Will be changing it annually from here on in. Around 12K. I figure Cummins must know what they are doing.

Nick

Reaction score
Cummins does not post those intervals without extensive testing . They have no desire to replace engines due to oil related failures . Had 15 liter motors when I first started trucking it was 5 k when I retired it was 15 k . Now I think you can do 20k. It is all about the oil and additives . The additive package in todays oil is far superior as well as filtration. All that blackness is suspended soot . Def lowered the percentage of EGR hence the amount of soot in the oil . This gave the manufactures the ability to extend the change intervals . Personally I would not go more than 5k before dumping the factory oil , just to get rid any wear in material . After that I would go with 15 k intervals and not waste my money .

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Personally I would not go more than 5k before dumping the factory oil , just to get rid any wear in material . After that I would go with 15 k intervals and not waste my money .
Yeah, that is still a big thing on some vehicles. I have an Indian motorcycle which calls for an oil change after 500 miles.
Not sure what the idea is behind such "earlier" changes. There is a filter in the engine getting rid of that wear material.
Engines got much cleaner nowadays when they are build in the factory, unlikely that the oil filter gets plugged up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, that is still a big thing on some vehicles. I have an Indian motorcycle which calls for an oil change after 500 miles.
Not sure what the idea is behind such "earlier" changes. There is a filter in the engine getting rid of that wear material.
Engines got much cleaner nowadays when they are build in the factory, unlikely that the oil filter gets plugged up.
They are also factory broken in so no wear materials to worry about

IowaPW

Reaction score
They are also factory broken in so no wear materials to worry about
I'd be careful...industry trend is to do cold test...not hot test. And, to do other means to verify the engine is good to go. And, I'm very confident they don't change the oil before they ship the engine out the door. You will see all kinds of wear metals, copper, and silicon in oil samples after "factory break-in".

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
I'd be careful...industry trend is to do cold test...not hot test. And, to do other means to verify the engine is good to go. And, I'm very confident they don't change the oil before they ship the engine out the door. You will see all kinds of wear metals, copper, and silicon in oil samples after "factory break-in".
yes but there is an oil filter in the engine.........

IowaPW

Reaction score
yes but there is an oil filter in the engine.........
Correct. And, if there happens to be enough debris that filter goes into bypass...it's not a good deal. The comment I quoted was implying that "factory engine break-in" was the solution. My point is that doesn't do anything with engine cleanliness.

To be clear...I don't do the first oil change until the recommended time/mileage either...just providing a different perspective. Let's just say...I've seen my fair share of oil samples....and we'll leave it at that! LOL.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
yes, no worries. Plenty people are not engine guys and they believe there is that big sump of oil and everything is splashing around like in a lawn mower engine.
That the pump is getting most or not all oil to the right locations is not known to all. Neither that the oil filter is cleaning that oil on its way to the bearings, camshaft, hydraulic lash elements, etc.
This might be comparable to a human body, where the heart is the oil pump and the kidneys are the oil filter. But the body is better engineered, does not require a filter change.

IowaPW

Reaction score
yes, no worries. Plenty people are not engine guys and they believe there is that big sump of oil and everything is splashing around like in a lawn mower engine.
That the pump is getting most or not all oil to the right locations is not known to all. Neither that the oil filter is cleaning that oil on its way to the bearings, camshaft, hydraulic lash elements, etc.
This might be comparable to a human body, where the heart is the oil pump and the kidneys are the oil filter. But the body is better engineered, does not require a filter change.
Don't forget the liver! LOL. It deals with all the beer!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Correct. And, if there happens to be enough debris that filter goes into bypass...it's not a good deal. The comment I quoted was implying that "factory engine break-in" was the solution. My point is that doesn't do anything with engine cleanliness.

To be clear...I don't do the first oil change until the recommended time/mileage either...just providing a different perspective. Let's just say...I've seen my fair share of oil samples....and we'll leave it at that! LOL.
Yep you will have wear materials for 1-2 oilchanges after an engine build but its not anything to worry about, to my understanding (this was just hear say no proof) they use break in oil while breaking them in then its drained and filled with 5w40

IowaPW

Reaction score
Yep you will have wear materials for 1-2 oilchanges after an engine build but its not anything to worry about, to my understanding (this was just hear say no proof) they use break in oil while breaking them in then its drained and filled with 5w40
I would be VERY surprised if they change the oil before they ship. That would not be the industry norm. Would be interesting to find out if this is a fact...and not hearsay.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would be VERY surprised if they change the oil before they ship. That would not be the industry norm. Would be interesting to find out if this is a fact...and not hearsay.
Well id be pretty surprised if they are not using break in oil but everyone is cheaping out these days so who knows

IowaPW

Reaction score
Well id be pretty surprised if they are not using break in oil but everyone is cheaping out these days so who knows
Typically, they do first fill with break-in oil. They then do a hot test...only for a few minutes to check power and a good quality build...then ship it. That break-in oil is in the engine for the first oil drain interval...removed by customer/dealer on that first oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread