Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Y’all really going 15k miles between changes? Just got my new truck and saw the Maintence schedule and nearly fell out of my chair. Does it consume oil?

My 6.0 power stroke gets changed every 5k and even that makes me nervous. I put in 14qts and 11 come out with no leaks. It just eats it and black as night.

jetrinka

Reaction score
My Hemi gets it changed every 3k. Yeah I’ll get hated. Don’t care.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I ran a few Cummins over 100k miles on 15k oci. Bought a used one and ran it to 230k. It was deleted. But ran 15k it's whole life according to records. Never any Oil related problems. Oil and filters have come a long way.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Massive quevos on you god sir. Not sure I can do it. Debating on arbitrarily settling on every 7500 miles because no reason

Was also thinking of upgrading teh fuel filter housings to the black market performance ones that use the CAT filters. Will make my money back in no time with the cost of the ****ty molar stuff and it’s an upgrade to the filters

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I run the 15k on my 19 hell on my 05 i would run the oil 40-50k changing the filters at 10k (as per the manual) and get oil analysis to confirm the oil was good. The old thought of early oil changes is just wrong and wastefull

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hmmm…maybe that’s why there’s an oil shortage- all these new CTD owners refuse to believe the engine manufacturer, oil manufacturers, and UOA’s.
And people keep hoarding it too!

GPurcell01

Reaction score
10k is all I'll take mine. I've already done an oil change and did not see any usage even through "break-in" although whether or not the engine has one is another heated discussion.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I went with 7k on my 2020 6.7 because I was approaching a year. I plan to stick with the 7kish mark, although if I were to go over it wouldn't scare me any. I know the service manager at the dealership I bought from. He tells me most of his customers are not going out to 15k

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I'm at about 20,000 kms on my '19 truck and on my 2nd oil change. I don't drive it enough because I don't drive it in winter. Last winter changed oil at about 10k kms and parked it until summer, this winter changed oil and parked it again... I'm getting spammed with service reminder notifications all the time, telling me my oil change is past due while truck still has brand new oil in its engine...
I've purchased an extended warranty for it when I bought it, and that included a number of "free" oil changes so gotta use them or lose them.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Many gas stations around here have only B5-B20 Diesel. Not sure what exactly comes out? Guess somewhere between B5 and B20.
Its rather rare that I find Diesel w/o the Bio fuel added.
Based on that the recommendation from Cummins or Ram is 12,500 miles.
All of that is likely with some safety margin and would believe that 20k miles is still ok. Our CTD engines are made for 40k lbs GCWR. I never run more than 20k lbs GCWR.
I know a story of a trucking business which bought new Semis and ran them w/o oil change the first 200k miles. (MAN 19-420)
I drove both of them at about 700k miles and they were just running fine.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 175106.jpg

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Massive quevos on you god sir. Not sure I can do it. Debating on arbitrarily settling on every 7500 miles because no reason
Was also thinking of upgrading teh fuel filter housings to the black market performance ones that use the CAT filters. Will make my money back in no time with the cost of the ****ty molar stuff and it’s an upgrade to the filters
What's the micron rating of the filters you're considering, vs. the ones that are already being used?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What's the micron rating of the filters you're considering, vs. the ones that are already being used?
Cat filters are 2 micron at the engine and 5 at the water separator its the same specs as oem filters

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Cat filters are 2 micron at the engine and 5 at the water separator its the same specs as oem filters

Engine filter: 68157291AA
5-micron outer filter with a 3-micron inner filter

Rear filter: 68436631AA
2 micron

At least according to what KLM has on their page about it.

@shadowboxin said Cummins filters are ****ty and that the Cat is an upgrade. Is that just personal opinion/hyperbole? Or is there more to it?

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Hopefully nobody buys this and thinks they're getting better filtration:

Unless they are using a different filter than what's in the picture, that filter is 10 micron.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Engine filter: 68157291AA
5-micron outer filter with a 3-micron inner filter

Rear filter: 68436631AA
2 micron

At least according to what KLM has on their page about it.

@shadowboxin said Cummins filters are ****ty and that the Cat is an upgrade. Is that just personal opinion/hyperbole? Or is there more to it?
It used to be an upgrade for the up to 18 trucks and mainly the duramax trucks they are not something i would consider an upgrade but they are cheaper

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
Hopefully nobody buys this and thinks they're getting better filtration:

Unless they are using a different filter than what's in the picture, that filter is 10 micron.

Nothing to do with filtration to me. It’s ease quality of construction for me.

Users who are viewing this thread