Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOPAR - MAXCARE - Zeigler - Extended Warranty Merged Mega Thread

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The MOPAR plan is good.. the fact that it runs concurrently sucks donkey balls... I didn't bother with the the 2500 , but I did get the Lifetime for the 1500 (which was pro-rated when I traded it back in)

They no longer offer a lifetime Maxcare.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I shopped 5 internet sellers that have been recommended on various forums. Tom Winkels, Hayes Jeep, 269-385-1116 had the best prices and was very helpful. Fortunately, my dealer matched Tom's price so I went with my dealer.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Have you seen how FCA “works” on things? Save your $$$ make friends with a GOOD local mechanic and enjoy your truck.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen how Max Care "works". Nothing but outstanding service, excellent repair and great customer service satisfaction.
Never a hassle. Delays only when parts were on backorder, otherwise perfect. Even my service manager gets surprized at what MaxCare covers. The only complaints I've ever heard were from owners who had altered or modified their trucks. In one case the owner was upset because MaxCare would not replace his aftermarket turbo that had failed.

You are implying that FCA is dishonest. Do you have any data to reference?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I wasn’t going to entertain this but sure here ya go

I could keep going but I’m sure this will be reading material for a while. There are several pages with a few simple google keywords.

Oh here you go https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/saving/never-buy-extended-warranties

John Jensen

Reaction score
I didn't read anything in your posts about MaxCare, the subject of this thread.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I didn't read anything in your posts about MaxCare, the subject of this thread.

Wow

Horse to water analogy right there. Enjoy the island island you must reside on.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Wow

Horse to water apology right there. Enjoy the island island you must reside on.

Yep! No hate and discontent here. Just thought I share my experience with MaxCare - all good.
I certainly don't need your attitude or lecture.
We are done, don't need this kind of dialog.

Squatch

Reaction score
It just does not make economical sense to purchase any extended warranty. For the most part you are betting that there is a good chance that your car will require a repair that will cost in excess of what you put down for the warranty itself, and that is unlikely. If it were likely then the companies wouldn’t sell them because they would lose money. The house always wins as they say. Yes, sometimes you will win out in the equation, but the vast majority would have been better off just putting half the money away for a rainy day. Instead many people pay for these contracts, or worse off finance them and pay way too much for something they don’t need. Any financial advisor would say the same. These plans wouldn’t be sold if they weren’t making money off you, so your best bet is not getting an extended contract.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It just does not make economical sense to purchase any extended warranty. For the most part you are betting that there is a good chance that your car will require a repair that will cost in excess of what you put down for the warranty itself, and that is unlikely. If it were likely then the companies wouldn’t sell them because they would lose money. The house always wins as they say. Yes, sometimes you will win out in the equation, but the vast majority would have been better off just putting half the money away for a rainy day. Instead many people pay for these contracts, or worse off finance them and pay way too much for something they don’t need. Any financial advisor would say the same. These plans wouldn’t be sold if they weren’t making money off you, so your best bet is not getting an extended contract.

I'm as big an opponent of extended warranties as anyone. However, research showed that the likelihood of a repair exceeding my cost for an 8/60K maxcare ($1085 paid out of pocket, not financed) was more likely than not and could easily exceed $1,500 (NOx sensors) or $2,2200 (DEF pump). I'll run the odds and sleep well at night knowing the 12" screen, DEF system and basically everything except the DPF (perhaps the EGR cooler) is covered. Never could get a straight answer on that one from anyone. Could they be done cheaper for parts cost and my own time? Sure. However, I'm at a point in my life that while I might be able to do my own repairs, I'd rather not. I'd rather not go down a diagnosis rabbit hole, let the dealer do that and it's covered.

Would I pay $4k or $5K or more like some do? No.

@John Jensen had a valid point regarding the thread topic and you (ETA: @NordicNews) attacked him for it. The thread is discussing Maxcare, not brand service in general.

@NordicNews, I'm curious, do you buy insurance products? You know, health, life, home and auto? Blanket policy? Why not just put away for a rainy day and pay if you have a claim? Or file bankruptcy if it's going to financially ruin you?

Last edited:

thestuarts

Reaction score
I have bought about 10 new vehicles in my lifetime. I almost always buy an extended warranty (after negotiating the price down significantly). The vast majority of the times, the contracts did NOT pay for themselves, but one of the intangible (hard to quantify) benefits of a service contract is the dealerships seem to be much more willing to fix problems when you bought a service contract from them. This is based purely on my experiences, so your mileage may vary.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Who does the work on your truck? Carmax ok cool but not likely, local guys even better, but chances are it will be farmed out to FCA for the bigger things you worry about where you’ll be disappointed.

They are a sh!t show.

He wasn’t attacked. Just because he is sensitive about his decision doesn’t make him attacked.

So quit the snowflake crap. If FCA works on your Vehicle they generally rank lower than anyone else and customers are not satisfied.

Look at what you’re paying for by where it will go. This was a series of awareness posts of WHO do you want to work on your Vehicle and one post arguing against the purchase of a freaking warranty.

Some of the insurance requirements are by law so cross those off and the others are elective some o purchase some I don’t. But I know the company, what will be getting in the contract and am not married to them. I can leave at any point. Your point is valid assume the recognition of my point, who do you want to work on your car or truck!!!

Dear lord people you’ll pay for that crap because it feels good not because it makes any financial or long term sense. There is a low chance that you’re vehicle is going to freaking blow up id you take care of it either on your own or by a competent individual. Don’t buy a bill of goods. Take care of your stuff become somewhat I dependent on your knowledge and vehicle preservation and drive the damn thing.

Squatch

Reaction score
I'm as big an opponent of extended warranties as anyone. However, research showed that the likelihood of a repair exceeding my cost for an 8/60K maxcare ($1085 paid out of pocket, not financed) was more likely than not and could easily exceed $1,500 (NOx sensors) or $2,2200 (DEF pump). I'll run the odds and sleep well at night knowing the 12" screen, DEF system and basically everything except the DPF (perhaps the EGR cooler) is covered. Never could get a straight answer on that one from anyone. Could they be done cheaper for parts cost and my own time? Sure. However, I'm at a point in my life that while I might be able to do my own repairs, I'd rather not. I'd rather not go down a diagnosis rabbit hole, let the dealer do that and it's covered.

Would I pay $4k or $5K or more like some do? No.

@John Jensen had a valid point regarding the thread topic and you attacked him for it. The thread is discussing Maxcare, not brand service in general.

@NordicNews, I'm curious, do you buy insurance products? You know, health, life, home and auto? Blanket policy? Why not just put away for a rainy day and pay if you have a claim? Or file bankruptcy if it's going to financially ruin you?
I wouldn’t consider disagreeing with John Jensen an attack. I just gave my opinion on extended warranties. I said nothing that I thought would be disrespectful. I am serious about being happy it has gone well for him in the past and his opinion is respected by me. John, if what I said came off as an attack I apologize.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider disagreeing with John Jensen an attack. I just gave my opinion on extended warranties. I said nothing that I thought would be disrespectful. I am serious about being happy it has gone well for him in the past and his opinion is respected by me. John, if what I said came off as an attack I apologize.
SQUATCH,
Apology accepted but not necessary. I felt no disrespect or attack. It was your opinion and I can certainly accept that.
If there was any attack it was from NordicNevs. Perhaps brutal meant him, not you.
Thanks for your concern - shows class.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

My apologies, that particular comment was direct @NordicNews and I got the quotes mixed up.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Look gents you can say I was rude that is fine, it wasn’t my intent as it comes across as such on forums all to often. Albeit I didn’t help myself with the language used.
My points have been made as have yours. Agree to disagree on the value of the product and allowable competency of work to be done on your vehicle vs mine.
My frustration is with folks who pay for something and then blindly back it even when it’s an average product at best because they feel a need to maybe defend their purchase. It’s natural and you see it a lot on these forums and comments sections across the SM networks. Have a good day gents enjoy the weekends again.
John my apologies to you as they seem to be owed. I disagree with you on a few things but don’t think I wouldn’t help ya if you were stuck on the side of the road or needed a hand.
-Nevs

John Jensen

Reaction score
NordicNevs,
Thanks for explaining, accepting and the apology - shows class and much appreciated.
I respect your views as well, we all have our opinions.
Same here, you'll have my roadside help anytime.
Cheers!

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I'm as big an opponent of extended warranties as anyone. However, research showed that the likelihood of a repair exceeding my cost for an 8/60K maxcare ($1085 paid out of pocket, not financed) was more likely than not and could easily exceed $1,500 (NOx sensors) or $2,2200 (DEF pump).

Basically the same plan I got for about the same price. My ‘14 had a bad rear main seal and a NOX sensor go out. I managed to get a goodwill warranty on the rear main seal, since I was only 6 months out of warranty. The NOX sensor I did myself. If I had to pay dealer prices, the sensor and the rear main would have been about 4K. I feel a lot better knowing I’m covered against any major expense for 8 years.

carlrx7

Reaction score
I would buy one if i could find a good deal. I was ready to pull triger for a 8yr/125k for 3800, but then some crap about the truck being registered in Florida that makes Maxcar only available for MSRP. NOPE

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Have you seen how FCA “works” on things? Save your $$$ make friends with a GOOD local mechanic and enjoy your truck.

I don't worry much about a "good mechanic"....I worry about having to replace 12" radios and high dollar computer modules. I don't put many miles on one but you never know when some expensive electronics are going to pop. Things I would not trust a "good mechanic" to diagnose, acquire, or replace and make it right if he got the diagnosis wrong.

All I can say is 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees since 2011 and I put Max Care on all of them. Lifetime on the '11 and '14 and 8/60 on the '19. And I'll be putting the 8/60 on this Laramie 2500 if they ever get all the systems working. Not going to buy the contract until I see I'm going to keep it. But once it gets fixed I will be putting the 8/60 on it for $1050 "paidinfull" with Ziegler just in case the 12" radio or some of those high dollar modules blow up after 3 years.

I picked it up in March and the Anti-Lock Brake, FCW, Traction Control, and Cruise Control were intermittent from day 1. After a week or two the SERVICE xxxx messages were popping up almost every time I cranked it up. Didn't take it in because of the virus until last week. Now it's waiting parts for the ABS module and ABS pump with a supposed ETA of 29 June. Kind of discouraging to have a new truck that has basically been defective for the first 4 months. Can't even give my buddies a ride in it because they will laugh at all the chimes and warning messages flashing on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread