Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Blind Spot Monitoring

PMJohns

Reaction score
My first post is about what I “purchased” and why.

The following list is what you will need for the HD Ram upgrade:

Right Tail Light Assembly:6844 6838 AE
Left Tail Light Assembly: 6844 6839 AE
Tail Light Jumpers (2 required):6839 6013 AB
Right Mirror Glass:6840 1394 AA
Left Mirror Glass: 6840 1395 AA
The spaces in the Mopar part numbers are for readability only!

CAN Bus Jumper:Contact: Jimmy07
Mirror Jumpers (2 required):Contact: Jimmy07

AlfaOBD Software: Paddle.com
OBDLink EX or MX:Amazon.com
Security Gateway Bypass:kaotech.com

The AlfaOBD software only works with Windows and Android (it does not work with Apple). I used OBDLink EX (USB) with my Windows laptop. If you use Android, you may want to use OBDLink MX (Bluetooth). There are several ways to bypass the Security Module, some need to be plugged into the back of the Security Module (difficult to get to) and some plug into the CAN Bus and OBD connector (much easier to get to). I chose the CAN Bus / OBD connector method. I have not made the software changes yet so I will leave that procedure up to those with more experience.

The CAN Bus jumper plugs into the CAN Bus behind the light switch and the Chassis_Left connector which is located behind the right wheel. The Mirror Jumores are plugged into the Door Module behind the door panel and are threaded up to the mirror glass.

To the best of my knowledge, this list is correct although a confirmation and or correction by Jimmy07 would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

acuracing

Reaction score
@PMJohns - did you have to purchase the entire taillight assembly with the BSM sensors included? Are the sensors themselves not able to be added to the existing taillights?

I too am pretty disappointed in not receiving BSM when I thought it was included with the Safety Group and Tow Technology packages and the RAM site wasn't clear in the description.

PMJohns

Reaction score
I purchased the entire tail light assembly. While it is possible to just add the BSM module, this is a bit more involved then it seems. First, you will probable need to cut out the plastic where The BSM module mounts. Then you will probably need to create/have made a harness to connect the BSM module to the tail light plug. Next you will need to disassemble the tail light to install your new harness and reassemble it without destroying the waterproof seal. At this point, you can install either a 2020 or 2021 BSM module (a 2019 BSM module will not work in the 2020 or 2021’s). Finally you will need a cover for the BSM module. There is a good discussion about this in the 5thgenrams (1500) website:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/is-it-possible-to-add-blind-spot.13516/

I think that adding the mirror glass and cables, adding the CAN bus cable, installing the tail light assemblies, installing the security bypass, learning the OBD software and making all the necessary software changes will be enough for me this time around. :)

bdgibson78

Reaction score
I purchased the entire tail light assembly. While it is possible to just add the BSM module, this is a bit more involved then it seems. First, you will probable need to cut out the plastic where The BSM module mounts. Then you will probably need to create/have made a harness to connect the BSM module to the tail light plug. Next you will need to disassemble the tail light to install your new harness and reassemble it without destroying the waterproof seal. At this point, you can install either a 2020 or 2021 BSM module (a 2019 BSM module will not work in the 2020 or 2021’s). Finally you will need a cover for the BSM module. There is a good discussion about this in the 5thgenrams (1500) website:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/is-it-possible-to-add-blind-spot.13516/

I think that adding the mirror glass and cables, adding the CAN bus cable, installing the tail light assemblies, installing the security bypass, learning the OBD software and making all the necessary software changes will be enough for me this time around. :)
Really good perspective. Thank you. I think you convinced me right here that there is value in just swapping the entire tail light assembly as opposed to trying to retro-fit the sensors.

Please let us know how you get on with the upgrade? Looks like many of us are interested or wanting to do this same upgrade and curious to how "easy" it is for a newbie like myself!

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Curious on this also,are the BSM mirror assembly's with the listed part numbers heated? I ordered a 22 with the level B and tech package.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Curious on this also,are the BSM mirror assembly's with the listed part numbers heated? I ordered a 22 with the level B and tech package.
Yes, the glass with BSM indicators are heated.

Quick

Reaction score
How did this upgrade go? Any details on the install and where/how the wires are routed?

I just picked up my 2021 2500. Love the truck, but definitely miss the BSM and would like to add it. Before I order all of the parts I would be interested in knowing more details about how intricate the install is.

2021 Laramie B package

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I did this modification to my 2021 Ram 3500 Laramie because unfortunately the BSM was cut out. I purchased new tail lights with the modules already in them and then sold my old tail lights. I will say doing it this way I spent less than I would have for the modules alone. I used the harnesses made by Jimmy and it was a super easy install. I just opted to replace the glass in the mirror versus the entire mirror. Something to be aware of if you have a 2020+ model year Ram you have to use the blind spot modules from a 2020+ Ram. The modules from a 2019 will not work. The junkyard I bought my tail lights from sent me a set from a 2019 by mistake and it caused an error in the EVIC that will not clear no matter what. As soon as I swapped the correct 2020 tail lights in it cleared the error.

rmzachar

Reaction score
Just checking if I understand this right. I ordered a 2022 3500 Laramie Night Edition and tried to get the blind spot but it wouldn't let it be ordered (I assumed as much). I ordered the Level A Group, Towing Technology Group B, and the Safety Group B.

To add in BSM, I would have to get new tail lights and mirror glass as shown above?

nux89

Reaction score
My first post is about what I “purchased” and why.

The following list is what you will need for the HD Ram upgrade:

Right Tail Light Assembly:6844 6838 AE
Left Tail Light Assembly: 6844 6839 AE
Tail Light Jumpers (2 required):6839 6013 AB
Right Mirror Glass:6840 1394 AA
Left Mirror Glass: 6840 1395 AA
The spaces in the Mopar part numbers are for readability only!

CAN Bus Jumper:Contact: Jimmy07
Mirror Jumpers (2 required):Contact: Jimmy07

AlfaOBD Software: Paddle.com
OBDLink EX or MX:Amazon.com
Security Gateway Bypass:kaotech.com

The AlfaOBD software only works with Windows and Android (it does not work with Apple). I used OBDLink EX (USB) with my Windows laptop. If you use Android, you may want to use OBDLink MX (Bluetooth). There are several ways to bypass the Security Module, some need to be plugged into the back of the Security Module (difficult to get to) and some plug into the CAN Bus and OBD connector (much easier to get to). I chose the CAN Bus / OBD connector method. I have not made the software changes yet so I will leave that procedure up to those with more experience.

The CAN Bus jumper plugs into the CAN Bus behind the light switch and the Chassis_Left connector which is located behind the right wheel. The Mirror Jumores are plugged into the Door Module behind the door panel and are threaded up to the mirror glass.

To the best of my knowledge, this list is correct although a confirmation and or correction by Jimmy07 would be greatly appreciated.
Where is the best place to purchase the tail light assemblies and mirror glass?

MtnRider

Reaction score

For the tail lights I would look on the forums, salvage yard, and ebay etc. They are ridiculously expensive new.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Check eBay, like @MtnRider said. Right now, there is a set of red tails with BSM (same part numbers as the post you quoted) for $770 or best offer. I bet he’d take $670-700. They are listed as new without original box, but my experience with that seller is they are “new” takeoffs- still excellent condition, and probably best deal you’ll find right now.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Yeah that's I steal. I found new take offs at a junkyard for $950. I was able to sell my other lights for $500, so you can make back some of it. I purchased the mirror glass replacements from a dealer. You won't be able to get the BSM from a dealer right now.

Tommy66

Reaction score
You’ve pretty much got it covered for what you need to add. I can build you the missing sections of harness for the canbus and mirror glass, just let me know.
Help…!!! I am new to RAM and this forum. I purchased a 2021 RAM 2500 with BSM. I then bought a slide in truck camper which covers the tail lights and then does not allow the BSM to work. Is there a solution?? Is there some way to tap into the BSM system a place a sensor on the camper that would allow it to function. I am a rookie but might be able to install a work around. Thanks in advance!!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Help…!!! I am new to RAM and this forum. I purchased a 2021 RAM 2500 with BSM. I then bought a slide in truck camper which covers the tail lights and then does not allow the BSM to work. Is there a solution?? Is there some way to tap into the BSM system a place a sensor on the camper that would allow it to function. I am a rookie but might be able to install a work around. Thanks in advance!!
Go into the radio settings and turn off blind spot monitoring when you have the camper in the bed.

RSA964993

Reaction score
I’m glad I found this because I just completed my first long trip with my 2021 2500 Laramie and was perplexed of how to get the BSM to work. I was under the same impression as everyone else that I thought I had it, I don’t. It’s absolutely needed after countless cars parked themselves in my passenger side blind spot and never knew they were there.
I don’t possess the skills that it looks like many of you have to do this myself. Is it possible to source the parts and have the Ram dealer install this? Or have them do everything? This seems like it’s going to be a pretty popu request but I have no idea if they would do this or if it’s excess cost wise. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread