Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Blind Spot Monitoring

PMJohns

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 Ram 2500. I ordered the truck with Laramie Equipment Level 2, the Safety Group and the Towing Technology Group. Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection was part of each of these packages. The truck that was delivered had Laramie Equipment Group B, Safety Group B and Towing Technology Group B and non of these groups included Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection (BSM). I use my truck to pull an Airstream an average of 12,000 miles a year and drivers on the road are becoming far more aggressive which is why I wanted BSM. I want / need to add BSM to my 2500.

I have looked at my tail lights and the tail light jumper plug is not fully populated and there is no BSM module in the tail light assembly. I am assuming that I will need both BSM tail light assemblies and 2 BSM tail light jumper cables. In addition, I will need to make or have made a harness for the missing wires connecting the frame rail harness to the CAN bus. If anyone has the part numbers for the BSM tail light assemblies and the tail light jumpers, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate any help for finding a harness or replacing the missing wires between the frame rail plug and the CAN bus.

I am also considering replacing the glass in my tow mirrors. It is my understanding that all that is needed is a short pair of wires between the glass and a connector inside the door.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
If you ordered it under the context that you were paying for the tech, then got delivered a Rona baby, did they at least credit some money or rework the deal?

b307a1

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 Ram 2500. I ordered the truck with Laramie Equipment Level 2, the Safety Group and the Towing Technology Group. Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection was part of each of these packages. The truck that was delivered had Laramie Equipment Group B, Safety Group B and Towing Technology Group B and non of these groups included Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection (BSM). I use my truck to pull an Airstream an average of 12,000 miles a year and drivers on the road are becoming far more aggressive which is why I wanted BSM. I want / need to add BSM to my 2500.

I have looked at my tail lights and the tail light jumper plug is not fully populated and there is no BSM module in the tail light assembly. I am assuming that I will need both BSM tail light assemblies and 2 BSM tail light jumper cables. In addition, I will need to make or have made a harness for the missing wires connecting the frame rail harness to the CAN bus. If anyone has the part numbers for the BSM tail light assemblies and the tail light jumpers, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate any help for finding a harness or replacing the missing wires between the frame rail plug and the CAN bus.

I am also considering replacing the glass in my tow mirrors. It is my understanding that all that is needed is a short pair of wires between the glass and a connector inside the door.
PM @Jimmy07. He is the guy that will give you all the info you need regarding your issue.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

You’ve pretty much got it covered for what you need to add. I can build you the missing sections of harness for the canbus and mirror glass, just let me know.

ckreef

Reaction score
Wouldn't there be a chip missing somewhere. When the packages marked "2" got changed to packages marked "B" wasn't that because of a chip shortage relating to the BSM chip? Am I missing something?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Wouldn't there be a chip missing somewhere. When the packages marked "2" got changed to packages marked "B" wasn't that because of a chip shortage relating to the BSM chip? Am I missing something?
The BSM sensors are installed in the tail lights when equipped. There are two variations of the led tail lights- those equipped with BSM sensors, and those not equipped with BSM sensors. When you get a level A or B package as opposed to a level 1 or 2 package, that just means the BSM feature is deleted due to the chip shortage (ie, saving the feature for only certain higher trim levels), and the truck will come with led tail lights that do not have the sensors. The chips in question are used to build the BSM sensors. As far as I know, you can still buy the actual sensors (or tail lights with the sensors) from any mopar parts supplier, albeit at a higher cost than they were a year ago. Then you can just add the feature to the truck yourself.

acuracing

Reaction score
I may go down this route myself if I feel the tow mirrors and digital rear view are inadequate. I'll have a 2021 2500 Laramie with the same packages.

These are the parts and part numbers I had tracked down. Wanted to confirm this would be all that is physically needed (outside of the AlfaOBD flashing).

2020-2021 BSM sensors x2: 68442393AE
Tail light jumper harnesses x2: 68396013AB
Blind Spot Radar Seal x2: 68396594AA
Mirror Glass, Towing w/Blind Spot RIGHT: 68401394AA
Mirror Glass, Towing w/Blind Spot LEFT: 68401395AA

Jimmy07 custom harnesses

PMJohns

Reaction score
I may go down this route myself if I feel the tow mirrors and digital rear view are inadequate. I'll have a 2021 2500 Laramie with the same packages.

These are the parts and part numbers I had tracked down. Wanted to confirm this would be all that is physically needed (outside of the AlfaOBD flashing).

2020-2021 BSM sensors x2: 68442393AE
Tail light jumper harnesses x2: 68396013AB
Blind Spot Radar Seal x2: 68396594AA
Mirror Glass, Towing w/Blind Spot RIGHT: 68401394AA
Mirror Glass, Towing w/Blind Spot LEFT: 68401395AA

Jimmy07 custom harnesses
Thank you - :)

PMJohns

Reaction score
The BSM sensors are installed in the tail lights when equipped. There are two variations of the led tail lights- those equipped with BSM sensors, and those not equipped with BSM sensors. When you get a level A or B package as opposed to a level 1 or 2 package, that just means the BSM feature is deleted due to the chip shortage (ie, saving the feature for only certain higher trim levels), and the truck will come with led tail lights that do not have the sensors. The chips in question are used to build the BSM sensors. As far as I know, you can still buy the actual sensors (or tail lights with the sensors) from any mopar parts supplier, albeit at a higher cost than they were a year ago. Then you can just add the feature to the truck yourself.
Is the wiring in the LED tail light assembly complete? There does not appear to be anywhere in my LED tail lights to plug in the BSM module.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Is the wiring in the LED tail light assembly complete? There does not appear to be anywhere in my LED tail lights to plug in the BSM module.
No, if you are installing sensors into non BSM tail lights, you’ll need custom harnesses for the sensors too.

PMJohns

Reaction score
2 Questions:

1. When Blind Spot Monitoring is added using OEM tail light assemblies with the appropriate harnesses and using alphaOBD software with the security module bypass, will it add a menu item to the Safety and Driving Assistance in the Settings?

2. Will the Blind Spot Monitoring provide the same features as the factory OEM system such as Trailer Merge Assist?

After doing a lot of research, it turns out that someone in management made the decision to not provide Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection because they were missing a part and they wanted to keep the factories running. Moreover, to keep potential buyers from learning about the change, they decided to rename the equipment groups that included Blind Spot Monitoring and then deleted the ‘Ram 2500/3500 Buyers Guide’ section from the ‘Ram 2021 2500/3500 Heavy Duty‘ brochure. In addition, NO information was provided in the ‘More Info’ link for the “new” packages in the ‘Build & Price’ section of ramtrucks.com. What really burns me is the decision to use wire harnesses that are missing the wires needed for a Ram dealer to add Blind Spot Monitoring, most likely to insure that FCA/Chrysler/Ram would not have to incur any cost after the trucks were delivered. This was clearly a blatant attempt by FCA/Chrysler/Ram to deceive the public,

Jimmy07

Reaction score
2 Questions:

1. When Blind Spot Monitoring is added using OEM tail light assemblies with the appropriate harnesses and using alphaOBD software with the security module bypass, will it add a menu item to the Safety and Driving Assistance in the Settings?

2. Will the Blind Spot Monitoring provide the same features as the factory OEM system such as Trailer Merge Assist?

After doing a lot of research, it turns out that someone in management made the decision to not provide Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection because they were missing a part and they wanted to keep the factories running. Moreover, to keep potential buyers from learning about the change, they decided to rename the equipment groups that included Blind Spot Monitoring and then deleted the ‘Ram 2500/3500 Buyers Guide’ section from the ‘Ram 2021 2500/3500 Heavy Duty‘ brochure. In addition, NO information was provided in the ‘More Info’ link for the “new” packages in the ‘Build & Price’ section of ramtrucks.com. What really burns me is the decision to use wire harnesses that are missing the wires needed for a Ram dealer to add Blind Spot Monitoring, most likely to insure that FCA/Chrysler/Ram would not have to incur any cost after the trucks were delivered. This was clearly a blatant attempt by FCA/Chrysler/Ram to deceive the public,
Yes to questions 1&2.
Check the jumper wire harnesses that are plugged into your current tail lights. It’s possible that those are already populated with all the necessary wiring. As far as the canbus circuits though, they are not going to have dead end circuits plugged into the canbus junction block of the module isn’t present.

PMJohns

Reaction score
My tail light jumpers only have 6 wires so I will need the BSM jumpers.
How many wires should their be on the frame harness tail light plug (frame harness side) on my 2021 2500?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
My tail light jumpers only have 6 wires so I will need the BSM jumpers.
How many wires should their be on the frame harness tail light plug (frame harness side) on my 2021 2500?
9 on the driver side, 10 on the passenger side.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Pull the headlight switch and you’ll be looking through the hole right at them.

PMJohns

Reaction score
Thank you - I had located them but was unsure about how to get to them.

bdgibson78

Reaction score
2 Questions:

I feel exactly the same. It's still the only thing that I don't like about my 2021 factory order experience. To add to your comment, the dealers clearly didn't have any idea what was happening, yet FCA, when I raised this issue with their care reps told me quote "you signed the deal and our dealers were very well informed of the changes" - IE total BS and deception.

Anyways, curious what model you bought and how you're going adding BSM onto your truck? I have a 2021 Bighorn Level B and wanting to buy the parts to add.

Users who are viewing this thread