Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Blind Spot Monitoring

blbrown

Reaction score
The BSM sensors are installed in the tail lights when equipped. There are two variations of the led tail lights- those equipped with BSM sensors, and those not equipped with BSM sensors. When you get a level A or B package as opposed to a level 1 or 2 package, that just means the BSM feature is deleted due to the chip shortage (ie, saving the feature for only certain higher trim levels), and the truck will come with led tail lights that do not have the sensors. The chips in question are used to build the BSM sensors. As far as I know, you can still buy the actual sensors (or tail lights with the sensors) from any mopar parts supplier, albeit at a higher cost than they were a year ago. Then you can just add the feature to the truck yourself.
How much for the custom harness and do you have a link?

blbrown

Reaction score
No, if you are installing sensors into non BSM tail lights, you’ll need custom harnesses for the sensors too.
Do you need to cut out the back of the light on the non BSM tailights for the sensors?

blbrown

Reaction score
9 on the driver side, 10 on the passenger side.
Are you talking about the connectors that plug onto the tail lights? Mine are 6 pin each, so not able to add the BSM sensors?

longhaul

Reaction score
So I got a '21 3500 MC SRW with BSM. I passed 3 cars on my passenger side where the triangular BSM light on that side did not come on. It was somewhat messy out, but the next trucks I passed on that side activated the BSM lights as they should.

Any ideas what might have happened ,so I can try to recreate the problem before taking it in for service?

Last edited:

blbrown

Reaction score
9 on the driver side, 10 on the passenger side.
Hi again, one more question if its ok, is the 9 and 10 pins you talked about here the number of pins for the bsm custom harness inside the led tail lights left and right. I followed the instructions I found for the 1500 that showed the same pin count and connections for left and right, is this correct for the 2500 hd?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211021-205835_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-205835_Dropbox.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 114

PMJohns

Reaction score
Okay, I give up. I finally got my BSM taillight assemblies for my 2021 2500 Laramie. Now, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to unplug / plug the new taillight wiring harness (6839 6013 AB) from the chassis harness - the end with the translucent locking tab. I have pushed and pulled the tab but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Use a little screwdriver to pop the white tab out, then squeeze the black tab and pull

PMJohns

Reaction score
There is a little black tab on the wire end of the plug, squeeze it and the connector should come apart
I figured it out while I was under the truck - Hint: Do not try to figure it out on a new cable that has never been plugged in.
Thanks

RSA964993

Reaction score
I’m revisiting this as I did another trip with my trailer and it’s just not safe without BSM. I’m going to go ahead and just replace the entire tail light assembly with the BSM built into them. I have the night package and it’s a 2021 2500 Laramie. To confirm the part numbers for the full assembly tail lights are-
68446841AE
68446840AE
Where is the best place to get these and does anybody know if they’re actually available? $495.90 each on Moparpart.com

Tail Light Jumpers- $39.72 each Moparpart.com
(2) of 68396013AB

CAN BUS and Mirror Jumpers (2) source them from Jimmy07

Mirrors- $63.05 each on Moparpart.com
Right- 68401394AA
Left- 68401395AA

I’m not clear on is the software adjustment part of this. I do have a EZ Link Auto Agent 2.0 with a OBD2 bypass cable. Will this work? And what do I actually have to reprogram?

How difficult is it to remove the mirrors and the wiring associated with that? I haven’t seen a play by play of anyone doing this BSM project and my skills are less than ideal for disassembling a brand new truck. Any answers and pointers are appreciated!

Thanks.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I’m revisiting this as I did another trip with my trailer and it’s just not safe without BSM. I’m going to go ahead and just replace the entire tail light assembly with the BSM built into them. I have the night package and it’s a 2021 2500 Laramie. To confirm the part numbers for the full assembly tail lights are-
68446841AE
68446840AE
Where is the best place to get these and does anybody know if they’re actually available? $495.90 each on Moparpart.com

(2) of 68396013AB

Right- 68401394AA
Left- 68401395AA

I’m not clear on is the software adjustment part of this. I do have a EZ Link Auto Agent 2.0 with a OBD2 bypass cable. Will this work? And what do I actually have to reprogram?

How difficult is it to remove the mirrors and the wiring associated with that? I haven’t seen a play by play of anyone doing this BSM project and my skills are less than ideal for disassembling a brand new truck. Any answers and pointers are appreciated!

Thanks.
It's not hard to do but hard to describe, youtube might have something on it or close to it.

RSA964993

Reaction score
22 foot enclosed trailer that‘s hauling a race car with spare tires, fuel, etc. Driving at night on I85 is pretty much a free for all and people pass on all sides at various speeds or just sit in the passenger side blind spot. So to clarify, it’s unsafe not knowing that a car could be sitting in my blind spot when I’m changing lanes and even with multiple visual checks and mirror checks, I’ve had a car there that I couldn’t see.

PMJohns

Reaction score
68446841AE
68446840AE

(2) of 68396013AB

Right- 68401394AA
Left- 68401395AA

Thanks.

You will probably need the tail light jumper for the plug that connects the chassis harness to the dash harness. You will also probably also need both mirror jumpers the go from the door module to the mirror. Jimmy07 may be able to make these for you, they are not available from Mopar. Jimmy can also advise you on the ODB security bypass, the ODB adapter and the ODB software.

As for the various procedures, the mirrors are quite easy to replace, the mirror jumper will require removing the inner door panel and the tail light / jumper replacement are all fairly straight forward and there is a wealth of information on the internet. The tail light jumper requires removing the front right wheel splash guard, adding pins to the plug and running the jumper through the firewall (clutch hole plug) and up to the CAN bus behind the headlight switch. Access to the CAN bus is straight forward and Jimmy07 will provide the information about the plug behind the splash guard if he is providing the jumper.

Last edited:

RSA964993

Reaction score
^Thanks^. Good information. I’m going to need to set aside some time for this and have back up transportation if I start disconnecting the wrong things!

Users who are viewing this thread