Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LETS SEE THOSE 35'S ON STOCK WHEELS

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Truck looks great!

I am looking at this same Thuren setup. Since I have a megacab I won’t get as much front lift and hopefully no change in the rear. Going with 285/75R18 but may go 295/70 if I can’t find good brand in that size.

Which shocks are you running? I have the off road pkg Bilstein 4600s and considering staying with Bilsteins with the 5100s versus Fox 2.0 IFPs.
I have the 5100's and am very satisfied with the set up.

chenn2389

Reaction score
I just got the same tire! 295/70/18.

I have the thuren stock ride mid rate coils in the rear and a 1" thuren level in the front. Not sure if it helps you with your decision.

View attachment 65777
Update. Got my 2" coils swapped with the 1" coils but I am running the factory OEM coils in the rear. My Laramie has the factory black shocks and was not an off-road package. What shocks are you usings? I chose to go with the Billsteins. I have run 5100s on every truck I've owned. After chatting with Zeb at Thuren the Bilstein with the stock rear coils was the best set up for me. I have a 22-foot ski/wake boat with tandem axel, and a 14-foot tandem trailer for my sxs and dirt bikes. I live in Arizona in Gilbert, and have a cabin up on the Mogollon Rim in Overgaard so I tow long distances up to 7000 ft. This is why I didn't go with the mid-rate coils. Fear I would get too much sag to tow for long distances up the mountains. I'll post a Picture in like a week or 2 when I get everything put on.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Update. Got my 2" coils swapped with the 1" coils but I am running the factory OEM coils in the rear. My Laramie has the factory black shocks and was not an off-road package. What shocks are you usings? I chose to go with the Billsteins. I have run 5100s on every truck I've owned. After chatting with Zeb at Thuren the Bilstein with the stock rear coils was the best set up for me. I have a 22-foot ski/wake boat with tandem axel, and a 14-foot tandem trailer for my sxs and dirt bikes. I live in Arizona in Gilbert, and have a cabin up on the Mogollon Rim in Overgaard so I tow long distances up to 7000 ft. This is why I didn't go with the mid-rate coils. Fear I would get too much sag to tow for long distances up the mountains. I'll post a Picture in like a week or 2 when I get everything put on.

I've got the mid rate coils with 5100's in the rear but also have a set of timber Grove airbags installed.

I haul a wide variety of things. Light stuff like a small utility trailer that holds 4 kayaks, and big stuff like dump trailers hauling rock (probably 15-16k weight) and a 38ft 10k travel trailer.

I don't have issues and it's not a big deal to inflate the air bags when I connect up to a trailer.
PXL_20231205_154453437.jpg
I enjoy the ride of the midrate when not hooked up to anything. They are better than stock imo.

If you want a closeup picture i can grab one in a few days.

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
I've got the mid rate coils with 5100's in the rear but also have a set of timber Grove airbags installed.

I haul a wide variety of things. Light stuff like a small utility trailer that holds 4 kayaks, and big stuff like dump trailers hauling rock (probably 15-16k weight) and a 38ft 10k travel trailer.

I don't have issues and it's not a big deal to inflate the air bags when I connect up to a trailer.
View attachment 67543
I enjoy the ride of the midrate when not hooked up to anything. They are better than stock imo.

Looks fantastic.

I ordered my Thuren upgrades and new tires. Hoping to have it all installed in a couple weeks.

Going with 1" front lift diesel springs, (more like 0.5" for mega cab), stock height midrate rear springs, 5100s, front track bar and sway bar, rear sway bar links, and rear track bar. Hoping it's a noticeably smoother ride. I have AirLift 5000 bags installed for when I tow our 9500lb travel trailer. I am going to look into the new Full Travel Bags swappable bags and bump stop kit for the Ram. It's pricey but hoping for a good sale, maybe Good Friday. If I opt for those, I'd get the Thuren 1" rear soft rate springs to go with them (again more like 0.5" on the mega cab).

For tires, LT285/75/R18 Falken AT3Ws (aka skinny 35s). The AT4W's aren't out yet. Had a hard time locating the AT3Ws as they are discontinued.

chenn2389

Reaction score

View attachment 67543

Nice, maybe I'll swap to bags in the future! How much was the rear bag set up? Do they auto inflate from the cab or do you do it manually?

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice, maybe I'll swap to bags in the future! How much was the rear bag set up? Do they auto inflate from the cab or do you do it manually?

I have Timber Grove bags as well. Mine are Tee’d to a single schraeder fill valve that I installed inside the bed near the 110 outlet and my in bed trailer plug. I don’t change the air enough to go onboard air for that cost. My bags with manual fill were just shy of $600 shipped. Worth every penny. Great folks to deal with as well.

I use my Rigid 18v handheld compressor and it takes seconds to adjust when hitched to the 5er.

Sent from me

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Timber Grove bags as well. Mine are Tee’d to a single schraeder fill valve that I installed inside the bed near the 110 outlet and my in bed trailer plug. I don’t change the air enough to go onboard air for that cost. My bags with manual fill were just shy of $600 shipped. Worth every penny. Great folks to deal with as well.

I use my Rigid 18v handheld compressor and it takes seconds to adjust when hitched to the 5er.

Sent from me

It’s generally not recommended to run a T’d system with a single valve.

You don’t get any side to side leveling and you don’t get any roll control, and can actually increase roll duration after a corner since the air transfers from the inside bag to the outside bag.

There are two commonalities with airbags complaints. The first deals with being overinflated, then second in from running them in a T’d connection.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score

You don’t get any side to side leveling and you don’t get any roll control, and can actually increase roll duration after a corner since the air transfers from the inside bag to the outside bag.

There are two commonalities with airbags complaints. The first deals with being overinflated, then second in from running them in a T’d connection.

I think that's a bit generalized. If you have a massive high center of gravity weight above the bed (ie a in-bed camper or a 5th wheel, then I could see that you would get increased roll duration. Otherwise, it would hardly be perceptible unless your shocks were shot. Carrying a heavy load in the bed or on the hitch shouldnt cause excessive roll. If it did then you see that excessive roll without airbags.

I do agree, that the air can move from one airbag to another in a turn but we arent racing here and again should be next to imperceptible. I had the option to install independent refill or a "T" setup and I chose a "T" after my last truck which had an independent.

I had an airbag fail and the other stayed filled. I noticed it fine but if you didnt and kept rolling that way there will be a difference to wear on suspension parts. I dont think it would have caused a wreck or anything but I am of the opinion that If a part on the airbags failed I wouldnt want to have one side working and the other not, I would rather both stop working if one failed.

To each their own.

whitexc

Reaction score

Yeah I have to disagree as the guy that did the R&D said that’s how they install the bags if going manual fill. Mine work great and will remain as installed. It’s the internet. I get it.

Back to 35’s on stockers….

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yeah I have to disagree as the guy that did the R&D said that’s how they install the bags if going manual fill. Mine work great and will remain as installed. It’s the internet. I get it.

Back to 35’s on stockers….
Respectfully, the guy you spoke to didn’t do the r&d. Maybe he took some measurements or something but no r&d was done. I know this because he’s wrong and @AH64ID is right.

whitexc

Reaction score
Respectfully, I have a very basic system that fits the need. Why would they sell it with a single fill point and a tee system when they could charge more and change the install to the “correct” way according to internet folk lore? Because the thought is a failure on one side would lessen the possibility of vehicle instability if both bags go down together. Back to the ”we are not racing” comment above.

The install can get much more complicated with onboard air, auto fill and many other options. Doesn’t mean it’s the only way. We all know there are varying opinions on what is better when it comes down to it and the intended use. Hence the reason he isn’t a distributor of other brand name bag systems. He did do R&D and has a some impressive industry firsts.

No one here is “right”. We are all here. That’s what is right.

Sent from me

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I've installed the single valve tee and then installed separate valves for each airbag. My seat-of-the-pants "expert" opinion is that there was more lateral movement (lean) around corners with the tee than with the separate air valves. My truck feels more planted and less lean around curves/ cornering using the valves at each bag. What works for me might not work for others.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I've installed the single valve tee and then installed separate valves for each airbag. My seat-of-the-pants "expert" opinion is that there was more lateral movement (lean) around corners with the tee than with the separate air valves. My truck feels more planted and less lean around curves/ cornering using the valves at each bag. What works for me might not work for others.

That’s the big difference , even when you don’t have a high CG.

Separate plumbing will always have superior handling.

DougB

Reaction score
Stock suspension with factory off-road package. Airlift 5000 bags in rear at 0 psi.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/75/R18 (aka skinny 35’s)
Rear fender height 43-7/8”. Front 41”.

Adjusted tire circumference with AlfaOBD to 2685mm and speedo is dead on my GPS app.

855C2002-A80D-4270-B521-BAA3C2FA7E5C.jpeg

044F5A82-3900-4D45-88F6-73A2E5BB69AE.jpeg

D9CC8C85-D556-4D7D-B3D6-DCB56EAD5D56.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread