Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LETS SEE THOSE 35'S ON STOCK WHEELS

chenn2389

Reaction score
Thuren suspended on 295/70/18.
This looks awesome! I ordered 295/70R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's yesterday at Big O Tires for Black Friday. They are buy 3 get 1 and a $100 mail in rebate right now. This allowed me to get the warranty, lifetime alignment, rotation, balance for the price of the 4th tire. What size front level did you do on yours? I currently have 2" not installed, but I've seen some pictures of 1" and thinking I may like that more. My truck has 2.5-2.625 inches of rake in stock form.

chenn2389

Reaction score
Back here again to redeem myself.. The "floaty" ride I was experiencing and blaming on the new tires got significantly worse very quickly, resulting in multiple dealership visits with the following being replaced
Tech said upper ball joints and wheel hub bearings were shot (20k miles odo, 1k miles on 35s) and replaced them. They somehow broke my center axel disconnect in process. I took it home, found a puddle under my front axel the went back in the next morning for the repair. Didn't drive much different.
Got worse again, took it again, tech said there was now play in the drag link and tie rod ends, replaced the two. Stickers still on them in the attached pic. Sent the truck to a reputable alignment guy in town, he aligned it and said all was well. Truck is driving okay now, but is no longer the confident, smooth driving truck I bought. Constant wandering at speed, binding at low speed turns, and the dealership thinks its fine. My father has a '21 hemi w/ off road pkg, stock suspension on spacers with 35s, double my mileage, and probably a factor of 4-5 times more use and abuse. His truck drives likes its new off the lot, whereas mine drives like there's and extra zero on the odo. I'm planning on researching the nearest reputable 4x4/offroad shop and paying out of pocket, random warranty repairs at the dealership aren't helping, they're just breaking and replacing sh*t. Really love this truck, but everyday this continues I entertain my offer from Carmax a tiny bit more
All this went south on stock suspension? That's crazy.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Back here again to redeem myself.. The "floaty" ride I was experiencing and blaming on the new tires got significantly worse very quickly, resulting in multiple dealership visits with the following being replaced
Tech said upper ball joints and wheel hub bearings were shot (20k miles odo, 1k miles on 35s) and replaced them. They somehow broke my center axel disconnect in process. I took it home, found a puddle under my front axel the went back in the next morning for the repair. Didn't drive much different.
Got worse again, took it again, tech said there was now play in the drag link and tie rod ends, replaced the two. Stickers still on them in the attached pic. Sent the truck to a reputable alignment guy in town, he aligned it and said all was well. Truck is driving okay now, but is no longer the confident, smooth driving truck I bought. Constant wandering at speed, binding at low speed turns, and the dealership thinks its fine. My father has a '21 hemi w/ off road pkg, stock suspension on spacers with 35s, double my mileage, and probably a factor of 4-5 times more use and abuse. His truck drives likes its new off the lot, whereas mine drives like there's and extra zero on the odo. I'm planning on researching the nearest reputable 4x4/offroad shop and paying out of pocket, random warranty repairs at the dealership aren't helping, they're just breaking and replacing sh*t. Really love this truck, but everyday this continues I entertain my offer from Carmax a tiny bit more

Have you tried installing a set of factory tires to see if the problem disappears thus identifying your tires as the problem?

Something is going on that is going to be very obvious once you figure it out.

Super frustrating im sure!

chenn2389

Reaction score
PXL_20231124_234845652.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20231124_231834486.jpg
295/70R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. Just a bit smaller than a true 35. This is my stock suspension. They fit the wheel well perfectly with no rubbing on my 2022 Laramie 4x4. I have a thuren 2" ready to put on, but now I'm having second thoughts. The truck sitting how I like it now. I think I might just throw a nice set of shocks on and call it a day. The truck rides way smoother now with the better tires. Those transforce tires are trash. I only got 19k miles out of them.

Attachments

• PXL_20231124_234827439.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231124_234827439.PORTRAIT.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 68

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
295/70R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. Just a bit smaller than a true 35. This is my stock suspension. They fit the wheel well perfectly with no rubbing on my 2022 Laramie 4x4. I have a thuren 2" ready to put on, but now I'm having second thoughts. The truck sitting how I like it now. I think I might just throw a nice set of shocks on and call it a day. The truck rides way smoother now with the better tires. Those transforce tires are trash. I only got 19k miles out of them.
I just got the same tire! 295/70/18.

I have the thuren stock ride mid rate coils in the rear and a 1" thuren level in the front. Not sure if it helps you with your decision.

PXL_20231124_180324158.jpg

marcdanziger

Reaction score
I'm looking at this as well- thinking of replacing the stock tires with ones better suited to snow - but still want something that will tow well on the highway.

Size and tire recc's?

chenn2389

Reaction score
I'm looking at this as well- thinking of replacing the stock tires with ones better suited to snow - but still want something that will tow well on the highway.

Size and tire recc's?
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs I got are great so far. They look decently aggressive but are very quiet. I couldn't tell if they're any louder than stock. They've towed my 22 foot wake boat with tandem axel this weekend and felt great. They're E rated, and have proper speed rating. They're also 3 peak snow rated, most all terrains are not. I haven't been in the snow yet. My cabin in Northern AZ should start seeing alot of snow mid December to test it out.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs I got are great so far. They look decently aggressive but are very quiet. I couldn't tell if they're any louder than stock. They've towed my 22 foot wake boat with tandem axel this weekend and felt great. They're E rated, and have proper speed rating. They're also 3 peak snow rated, most all terrains are not. I haven't been in the snow yet. My cabin in Northern AZ should start seeing alot of snow mid December to test it out
Should double check the three peak rating. Not all tire sizes include the 3 peak snow rating. And ours (295/70/18) don't include them. You can check the tires themselves if you're unsure. The 3peak symbol should be on there if it's rated for it.

chenn2389

Reaction score
Should double check the three peak rating. Not all tire sizes include the 3 peak snow rating. And ours (295/70/18) don't include them. You can check the tires themselves if you're unsure. The 3peak symbol should be on there if it's rated for it.
Damn that's lame I didn't know that. How would some sizes have it and others not that makes no sense lol.

PNW_RAM

Reaction score
I just got the same tire! 295/70/18.

I have the thuren stock ride mid rate coils in the rear and a 1" thuren level in the front. Not sure if it helps you with your decision.

View attachment 65777
Username, truck looks great. I am looking at the same Thuren setup. Did you happen to get before and after measurements (hub to fender)? How much rake does your truck have after the "lift". Also, how does the ride of the mid rate coils compare to the stock coils? Thanks.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Username, truck looks great. I am looking at the same Thuren setup. Did you happen to get before and after measurements (hub to fender)? How much rake does your truck have after the "lift". Also, how does the ride of the mid rate coils compare to the stock coils? Thanks.
The back was about 2.5" inch higher than the front. I opted for a 1" lift in the front and I got exactly 1". I like a little rake.

The mid rate springs did lower the rear about .5" but maybe that's because I have stuff in the rambox's and a larger 50 gallon fuel tank?

Either way the ride is night and day. I can't say the spring change on the front and back is the only reason as I changed the track bar and the sway bar.

I've read multiple reviews that say the sway bar is what really makes the biggest difference but because I did it all at the same time I can't isolate which components made the biggest difference.

Good luck with your install!

DougB

Reaction score
The back was about 2.5" inch higher than the front. I opted for a 1" lift in the front and I got exactly 1". I like a little rake.

The mid rate springs did lower the rear about .5" but maybe that's because I have stuff in the rambox's and a larger 50 gallon fuel tank?

Either way the ride is night and day. I can't say the spring change on the front and back is the only reason as I changed the track bar and the sway bar.

I've read multiple reviews that say the sway bar is what really makes the biggest difference but because I did it all at the same time I can't isolate which components made the biggest difference.

Good luck with your install!
Truck looks great!

I am looking at this same Thuren setup. Since I have a megacab I won’t get as much front lift and hopefully no change in the rear. Going with 285/75R18 but may go 295/70 if I can’t find good brand in that size.

Which shocks are you running? I have the off road pkg Bilstein 4600s and considering staying with Bilsteins with the 5100s versus Fox 2.0 IFPs.

Users who are viewing this thread