Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s talk brakes!

Hutch

Reaction score
2019 Powerwagon with 2000 miles on it has the same brake feel on it as everyone is saying here. Goes half way to floor on first press with very little resistance. Then the brake pedal is higher but is very spongy. Drove my 2001 ram1500 today about went through the windshield it made me realize my new truck's brakes suck ,way to much pedal travel. Hey ram where is the recall for this brake system.

@JC

Reaction score
You guys better take those malfunctioning brakes in to the dealer, my 2020 PW has instant bite and stops very quickly for a vehicle that weighs 7431.38lbs.

Last edited:

Hutch

Reaction score
You guys better take those malfunctioning brakes in to the dealer, my PW has instant bite and stops very quickly for a vehicle that weighs 8188.62lbs.
What year is your Powerwagon.

@JC

Reaction score
2020, I edited the post, didn't notice I added instead of subtracted the payload before I posted the number.

Hutch

Reaction score
2020, I edited the post, didn't notice I added instead of subtracted the payload before I posted the number.
Must be 2019 thing than so there is hope they can fix it. People's experiences on here I wasn't sure.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Perhaps but there no way these trucks can stop like a 3000# car.
I think your confused, we aren't taking about braking distance. If you had ever had a vehicle with the master cylinder dying or bled incorrectly you would have felt this.

The physical stroke on the first application of the pedal is very noticably long, or the pedal travels deep into the stroke. If you would then release and reapply the brake system, the pedal will barely stroke at all and you will very firm and responsive brakes at the top of the pedal travel.... Like a normal vehicle.

Pedal travel is actually piston travel via linkage to the master cylinder. My suspicion is that the ABS block needs to be electronically opened and the brakes properly bled. Just my guess based on me building trucks and Jeeps with ABS that when re running brake lines, I've had to have a local shop finish off the brake bleed process with a snap on scanner that can demand ABS valves open.

If not that, then it would be more painful issue....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Allan Stainer

Reaction score
I just recently went from a 2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L gasser to a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4L gasser and I also have the first push softness and if I release and re-apply I have a firmer and higher activating brake feel. My old Rebel brakes felt firm and solid on every push, never had a need to do the release and re-apply game that this one has. Honestly, my 2004 Grand Prix that I just did new calipers/rotors/pads on last fall has a much faster responding (higher in the stroke) and firmer feel than this 3/4 ton truck.

It has annoyed me, but I have not acted on it as I assumed it was something in the design of a larger and heavier brake system. But seeing this thread makes me wonder if the brakes on the 2500HD I bought are similarly effected by a component that is not performing as it should?

I have 1,400 miles on mine so far, but I have not towed yet. I do not expect to have my Coachmen camper out for at least a few months yet, and I'm not hauling the tractor for brush hogging in the winter.... so I have time to address this if we discover it can actually be effected with the replacing of some parts.

I will be waiting to see if anyone has success in getting rid of that double pump issue.

bht222u

Reaction score
When I got my 2021 6.7 2500 the brake safely soft. I think I've gotten used to them now.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have heard that killing all the electronic nannies results with a Tazer Ram, the brakes having incredibly strong bite...so perhaps the pedal feel is dulled down with an electrical module.

I don’t hate the brakes on my 2019 Power Wagon, but I agree they could have more bite. I’m used to the way it is now that I’ve put over 10k on the truck, but I do remember thinking it felt a bit weak the first couple days with the truck. And as others have noted, I have to STAND on the brake to hold it in 4Lo.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The booster is better so the brakes feel softer not a hard concept to figure out, my 05 is harder to press the brakes always has been but with a firm pedal the brakes cant even compare to these new ones

bht222u

Reaction score
The booster is better so the brakes feel softer not a hard concept to figure out, my 05 is harder to press the brakes always has been but with a firm pedal the brakes cant even compare to these new ones
If that's the reason then wouldn't i stop quicker? It seems even with a substantial amount of brake pedal pushed my stopping distance is still quite a bit.

bht222u

Reaction score
Compared to what?

It takes a lot to reel in a 8000lb truck. Feel is subjective
It does looking at prior post it seems that some have had issues. I test drove a 19 MY 2500 6.7 with 25k miles on it and didn't notice a soft brake feel, but I immediately noticed one on my new truck. This is the first HD truck I've driven significantly so I'm learning.

If the brakes feel soft now, my stopping distance with 8k behind the truck will be a mile long.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Maybe there is something wrong?

Have you guys ever let your truck sit for a few days in a row before starting it?

When I go to start my truck after a few days of sitting, My pedal is absolutely brick hard to push and only moves a fraction of an inch. It’s fully solid. As soon as the truck cranks it’s fine. Needs to be 3 days min, sometimes it sits for 5.

what is this an indication of? Solid brakes or leaky booster? Or totally normal?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If that's the reason then wouldn't i stop quicker? It seems even with a substantial amount of brake pedal pushed my stopping distance is still quite a bit.
Mine is a softer pedal but it will lock em up easy if required

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Idk about y’all’s trucks.. but my brakes were tested at the factory and they were deemed “ok” lol

View attachment 11020

Just OK?

LOL

FWIW, I think the brakes are good, but after 4600 miles, mine still pulls to the right under hard braking. May be alignment... It's on the punch list for the next dealer visit to do the bed step recall and fix a busted rear seatbelt.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s certainly no sports car, but my experience in the dry has been the bakes are definitely good enough to slow this pig down at an uncomfortable rate.

The limiting factor for how fast it’ll stop is definitely the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread