Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s talk brakes!

MobyDick

Reaction score
Well, this statement. is a real stretch. I had 19,000 miles on mine when I traded it and the brakes were fine....no issues. I know that this is little comfort to you with and your brake issue, but there are thousands and thousands of these trucks on the road with no issues.

I hope you get your brakes repaired and enjoy your truck for many years!

I was referring to the individuals that have posted in the thread... not speaking for the thousands and thousands of 2019s sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

time2kyl

Reaction score
Got it back today. Can't say they are appreciably better. Also, you would think after 18 days they would at least wash it for you...

MobyDick

Reaction score
Got it back today. Can't say they are appreciably better. Also, you would think after 18 days they would at least wash it for you...

Would you say it was worth the wait?

MobyDick

Reaction score
@time2kyl I was really hoping to hear of a night and day difference

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
There's a trio of white-tail deer just west of here that would ( if they could talk) attest to the effectiveness of the brakes in a HD Ram. My sig other's palm prints are still impressed into the leather on the dash. Anyway... mushy brakes are not good brakes and cannot inspire confidence in those brakes to do what they were designed to do and therefore begs the question: Do the mushy brakes being reported in this thread translate into mushy brake operation. I.E., if you have to nail the binders, are they doin it or are they slow to respond?

Wileykid

Reaction score
Had a chance to get into some dirt a couple of days ago, and switched the truck into 4 wheel low. Wanted to make sure the truck actually switched into it. I am not sure if this is normal, but I had to stand on the brake pedal to hold the truck. I understand the power of the diesel, but that amount of pressure required on the brake pedal was not right.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I wonder if they are using an inferior/cheaper brake pad material? I know my 2006 Ram 3500 always has had excellent brakes. I even pull a 15k loaded trailer without brakes on it behind it and it still does a very good job, However you do know you have it behind you. Now my 2012 Jeep JKU MW3 is a different story, I had to switch to a heavier duty brake pads (EBC EXTRA DUTY, Orange) before I got better breaking/stopping and I don't pull anything behind the Jeep. https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/

Last edited:

Lary0071

Reaction score
I wonder if they are using an inferior/cheaper brake pad material? I know my 2006 Ram 3500 always has had excellent brakes. I even pull a 15k loaded trailer without brakes on it behind it and it still does a very good job, However you do know you have it behind you. Now my 2012 Jeep JKU MW3 is a different story, I had to switch to a heavier duty brake pads (EBC EXTRA DUTY, Orange) before I got better breaking/stopping and I don't pull anything behind the Jeep. https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/
Go get the Crown or Mopar big brake kit for that JK and you'll kick yourself for not doing it the weekend you bought it.

I love my Crown big brake kit. One of the best daily used mods. I ordered the kit through 4 Wheel Parts and asked for a better price, if I recall the guy in the phone knocked $75 or so off of the regular cost. And the install is no different than any other brake pad and rotor replacement.
24656a23291130483f0664a38f993e08.jpg
38f7433f9ac46df04947e2080e44ff10.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AKDoug

Reaction score
2019 Tradesman 6.4 Exact same pedal response. First time I noticed kinda threw me (Initial slightly squishy push was a similar feel to the Duramax I'd been driving for 12 years) but just assumed it was normal. Now concerned.

My 2006 Duramax had the same feel, so the brakes on my 2019 Ram never really concerned me. I've been towing with the truck a bunch and performance of the brakes is fine. I'm not really concerned at this point.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Had a chance to get into some dirt a couple of days ago, and switched the truck into 4 wheel low. Wanted to make sure the truck actually switched into it. I am not sure if this is normal, but I had to stand on the brake pedal to hold the truck. I understand the power of the diesel, but that amount of pressure required on the brake pedal was not right.

When I had my JK Rubicon in 4 low I had to stand on the brakes to hold it in place. Granted it had a 4:1 t-case in addition to the 4.10 axle ratio, but the 3.6 put out a far cry less torque than your Cummins does.

MobyDick

Reaction score
Anyone have any news on the brake issues

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I think that there is some physics that come into play here. These trucks are supper heavy especially the front end of the diesels so when you get on the brakes hard even more wiegh gets pitched forward. It’s a lot to ask of the fronts. Could the brakes be better..heck ya! Maybe some better rotors and better pad material?

MobyDick

Reaction score
I think that there is some physics that come into play here. These trucks are supper heavy especially the front end of the diesels so when you get on the brakes hard even more wiegh gets pitched forward. It’s a lot to ask of the fronts. Could the brakes be better..heck ya! Maybe some better rotors and better pad material?

Weight has nothing to do with with pedal travel and the fact if you pump they get hard. Those are booster issues

Users who are viewing this thread