Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s talk brakes!

MobyDick

Reaction score
Brake pedal on this new truck seems to have A LOT of travel. My brother’s 1500 has very very little travel before it will throw you through the windshield. I have noticed tho if you double pump them that stiffens them up pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Having to pump the brakes typically means there is a leak somewhere.

Is the brake pedal height adjustable in your truck?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MobyDick

Reaction score
No I don’t believe it is. It’s a 19 tradesmen

jkbrereton

Reaction score
It was something that popped in my mind. I'm thinking master cylinder is leaking or needs bled. But for a newer vehicle to do that is unusual. Dealership time!

MobyDick

Reaction score
It’s been that way since I drove it off the lot. I thought it was strange. And today driving my brothers it’s night and day difference in pedal feel

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I'd get it looked at. It doesn't sound right.

MobyDick

Reaction score
I'd get it looked at. It doesn't sound right.

I absolutely hate the idea of having a brand new truck back at the dealer.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
There could easily be something wonky but FEEL can be a subjective thing, just ask a lady. If your HD a diesel it will be different than a 1/2 ton gas, as they are boosted differently.

MobyDick

Reaction score
My previous trucks have been hydro-boosted. As to wear this 6.4 looks to just have a normal vacuum booster

jsalbre

Reaction score
According to the manual all Ram HDs are hydroboosted.

Kentuckyarms

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019 2500 tradesman. It does the exact same thing. I was thinking they needed bled or something. If you apply a little brake, then let off and touch pedal again, it seems much firmer. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Dgulia

Reaction score
I dropped mine off at the dealership to get the brakes looked at for this issue and tightening the hood so it doesn't move. I'll keep you guys posted

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
It’s been that way since I drove it off the lot. I thought it was strange. And today driving my brothers it’s night and day difference in pedal feel
Mine is a 2019 2500 tradesman. It does the exact same thing. I was thinking they needed bled or something. If you apply a little brake, then let off and touch pedal again, it seems much firmer. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
I dropped mine off at the dealership to get the brakes looked at for this issue and tightening the hood so it doesn't move. I'll keep you guys posted

Hi all,

@Dgulia - Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! If you are in need of any extra support while in service, please do not hesitate to send us a PM.

@MobyDick & @Kentuckyarms - If you end up addressing this with your dealers, definitely let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

MobyDick

Reaction score

I read somewhere that Ram has went to a “larger pedal stroke” when I dropped the truck off yesterday for alignment the service writer really had zero interest in hearing my issues about the brakes. In one ear out the other

MobyDick

Reaction score

Keep us posted. Dealing with a service department is never fun. But before I put a 8k boat behind my truck this issue needs to be addressed

Dgulia

Reaction score
They had the Truck for 2 days. They drove it and acknowledge that brakes are soft. Tried to diagnose it but couldn't find anything wrong. Pads normal, bleeding didn't help, no leaks. They test drove 4 trucks on their lot all had same feel. So they concluded must be normal.
Now on the hood vibrating side, they had previously adjusted the stops that helped and now they adjusted the latch and that vibration is fixed.

MobyDick

Reaction score
They had the Truck for 2 days. They drove it and acknowledge that brakes are soft. Tried to diagnose it but couldn't find anything wrong. Pads normal, bleeding didn't help, no leaks. They test drove 4 trucks on their lot all had same feel. So they concluded must be normal.
Now on the hood vibrating side, they had previously adjusted the stops that helped and now they adjusted the latch and that vibration is fixed.

Thank you for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread