Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

Bubba's Beast

Reaction score
Upgraded to 37s today. Here is the before and after.

Went with AEV Salta rims. Can confirm they are clearing 37x12.50r17 Cooper STT Pros with ease. The tires are 13.3 inches wide by spec.

Very happy with the look of 37s on the PW. Should have come from the factory this way.
6cbbd645672de445accf27bbc4db97a7.jpg
755be93812c9f8e1380527a3f9700fd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapata

I know it wasn't pointed to me, but I have the same one on order. It's from Expedition One.
Thanks a bunch!

n0arp

Reaction score
Swapped the factory beadlock ready wheels for Method 704HD 17x9 +18mm today. Took a heat gun to the inner liner but couldn't get enough clearance, so ended up trimming a bit. This time I put it through a good test drive with lots of bumps, dips, and tight turns before claiming to have no rubbing.

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    820.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6622.jpeg
    IMG_6622.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6621.jpeg
    IMG_6621.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6620.jpeg
    IMG_6620.jpeg
    846.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 140

areuriding

Reaction score
Swapped the factory beadlock ready wheels for Method 704HD 17x9 +18mm today. Took a heat gun to the inner liner but couldn't get enough clearance, so ended up trimming a bit. This time I put it through a good test drive with lots of bumps, dips, and tight turns before claiming to have no rubbing.
37's? how much and where did you trim?

n0arp

Reaction score
See my earlier posts in this thread, a couple pages back.

37x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. They run on the larger size for 37s. On the factory beadlock capable wheels, they rubbed on the radius arms and sway bar. On these wheels, I had to trim the inner fender liner near the back of the wheel well (back being towards the rear of the vehicle). Probably 3-4 square inches removed from each side.

IPASooner

Reaction score
Finally put some 37x12.5x17 BFG KO2s on 2021 PW. Sorry for the crummy picture and dirty truck. Need to get some better pics soon.
The stance of the truck is improved 1000%. For those who have said it before, we should have the option for stock PW with 37s...looks so much better.
Also very impressed with the ride so far...bigger tires really soak up the bumps. I am running 45PSI in front and 40PSI in rear tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 128

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
Looks great! Are you running stock suspension? I currently have 35 BFGs on same stock rims and stock suspension, wanting to go 37s.

IPASooner

Reaction score
Looks great! Are you running stock suspension? I currently have 35 BFGs on same stock rims and stock suspension, wanting to go 37s.

Thank you! Yes, stock suspension and so far no rubbing and did some tight turns on the way home.
Was debating larger 35s or smaller 37s and so glad I went with the "small" 37s. The KO2s only measure 36.5". I just measured and the tires are about 34.5" inflated, under the weight of the truck.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Man, I'm already wanting to jump to 37s on the jeep and tempted for the Powerwagon too. Did the 'small' 37s require any of the fender mods to avoid rubbing? Did you recalibrate for the bigger tires? Any noticeable power loss of different feeling?

UglyViking

Reaction score
Man, I'm already wanting to jump to 37s on the jeep and tempted for the Powerwagon too. Did the 'small' 37s require any of the fender mods to avoid rubbing? Did you recalibrate for the bigger tires? Any noticeable power loss of different feeling?
37s rubbing on the inner fender liner is really dependent on two things, tire size/lug design, and wheel offset. Generally speaking, you can install 37s with the correct offset wheel and only have to do very minor fender liner trimming, if any.

As far as power loss with 37s. Anyone who tells you "I don't notice any difference" is either lying or hasn't paid attention at all. The OEM power wagon wheel is just under a 33" tire, so a 37" tire is 4" taller, or over a 10% difference between sizes. That isn't to mention the weight difference.

Now, that's not to say that it's untenable, a lot of folks run 37s without regearing, especially with the new 8 speed, but it will be noticeable.

I don't have the hemi in my truck, but I did notice a difference in acceleration. I would still do it again, but it was clearly a loss in acceleration.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Well put and the exact thing I've experienced in my Jeep. In my JK I have 35s, a 4.10 rear end and the very sickly 3.8 engine. Its still gets around just fine, but you aren't going win any races. If I hop to 37s on the jeep, it really needs 5.3 gears.

If I lived in a cooler place in the country with more offroad options, I'd be all about the 37s on the PW. However, I'm thinking 35s would be decent enough for the PW and save the 37s for the jeep. Plus with the 35s I can run stock wheels and not sweat any rubbing and possibly still rock a spare under the bed. I just always worry I'm gonna regret the 35s when they are mounted and its too late.

Ewoodard

Reaction score
Well put and the exact thing I've experienced in my Jeep. In my JK I have 35s, a 4.10 rear end and the very sickly 3.8 engine. Its still gets around just fine, but you aren't going win any races. If I hop to 37s on the jeep, it really needs 5.3 gears.

If I lived in a cooler place in the country with more offroad options, I'd be all about the 37s on the PW. However, I'm thinking 35s would be decent enough for the PW and save the 37s for the jeep. Plus with the 35s I can run stock wheels and not sweat any rubbing and possibly still rock a spare under the bed. I just always worry I'm gonna regret the 35s when they are mounted and its too late.
I had a jeep with the 3.8 and 35’s, it was sick until I put 5.13’s in it. Could bark the tires no problem after that.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I can't speak for every person, but it seems like the majority of folks interested in off-roading end up with 37s on the HD trucks in the end. Keep in mind that the breakover angle on the jeep is much better than that of the Ram.

Similarly, I also had a Wrangler with the 3.8 and with 35s it was a dog without a regear.

If I had both the Ram and a Wrangler I would do 37s on the Ram, and 35s on the Wrangler with the JK and that engine combo. the JLs have beefier axles and can support the wear and tear from 37s better. Combine that with the 8 speed trans and the "new" 3.6 and you've got a much better overall machine than the JK with the 3.8. That said, you get what you get.

There were no circumstances I met with my jeep where 35s weren't enough, however to get the same outcome on a Ram you're looking at 40s just because of the length of the vehicle.

Really depends on what you want to do with each vehicle. If you're doing nothing but fire roads with the Ram than there isn't really a "need" for 37s, except for the looks department.

Kelsoff

Reaction score
Hey All, new here but figured I'd share some pics. 2019 with 37x12.5 R17 Patagonia on Black Rhino Armory with a 5.5" Pure Performance lift. Putting Nitto M/T's on next week after 35k on the Patagonia's. Maple Offroad sliders are the newest upgrade, but no action shots with them yet. Will hit the trails after the new tires are mounted.

Attachments

• 6 (2).jpg
    6 (2).jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    969 KB · Views: 117
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Kelsoff

Reaction score
37s rubbing on the inner fender liner is really dependent on two things, tire size/lug design, and wheel offset. Generally speaking, you can install 37s with the correct offset wheel and only have to do very minor fender liner trimming, if any.

As far as power loss with 37s. Anyone who tells you "I don't notice any difference" is either lying or hasn't paid attention at all. The OEM power wagon wheel is just under a 33" tire, so a 37" tire is 4" taller, or over a 10% difference between sizes. That isn't to mention the weight difference.

Now, that's not to say that it's untenable, a lot of folks run 37s without regearing, especially with the new 8 speed, but it will be noticeable.

I don't have the hemi in my truck, but I did notice a difference in acceleration. I would still do it again, but it was clearly a loss in acceleration.
I definitely noticed the difference after moving up to 37's in my 2019. It still has plenty of power, so it's not a huge bother, but in the end I'd like to get it re-geared to see its full potential....just can't find any gears. I was on the search for a while and last I checked was a few months back, but no luck. If anyone knows of anyone producing them for the 5th gens let me know!

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hey All, new here but figured I'd share some pics. 2019 with 37x12.5 R17 Pategonia on Black Rhino Armory with a 5.5" Pure Performance lift. Putting Nitto M/T's on next week after 35k on the Pategonia's. Maple Offroad sliders are the newest upgrade, but no action shots with them yet. Will hit the trails after the new tires are mounted.

Aren’t the shackles hanging on your tow hooks noisy?

Kelsoff

Reaction score
Aren’t the shackles hanging on your tow hooks noisy?
I've honestly never noticed and they've been on for so long...maybe I should take them off and see if I do notice. Perhaps I've just drowned it out mentally!

stickshifter

Reaction score
I definitely noticed the difference after moving up to 37's in my 2019. It still has plenty of power, so it's not a huge bother, but in the end I'd like to get it re-geared to see its full potential....just can't find any gears. I was on the search for a while and last I checked was a few months back, but no luck. If anyone knows of anyone producing them for the 5th gens let me know!
There are no gears yet for 5th Gen Ram heavy duty trucks - as of April 14, 2023. I'm watching this too...

Users who are viewing this thread