Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I had a jeep with the 3.8 and 35’s, it was sick until I put 5.13’s in it. Could bark the tires no problem after that.
I'd love to put the 5.13s in the JK Wrangler, but I don't think my Dana 30 front would be long with this world with that small of a pinion.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I can't speak for every person, but it seems like the majority of folks interested in off-roading end up with 37s on the HD trucks in the end. Keep in mind that the breakover angle on the jeep is much better than that of the Ram.

Similarly, I also had a Wrangler with the 3.8 and with 35s it was a dog without a regear.

If I had both the Ram and a Wrangler I would do 37s on the Ram, and 35s on the Wrangler with the JK and that engine combo. the JLs have beefier axles and can support the wear and tear from 37s better. Combine that with the 8 speed trans and the "new" 3.6 and you've got a much better overall machine than the JK with the 3.8. That said, you get what you get.

There were no circumstances I met with my jeep where 35s weren't enough, however to get the same outcome on a Ram you're looking at 40s just because of the length of the vehicle.

Really depends on what you want to do with each vehicle. If you're doing nothing but fire roads with the Ram than there isn't really a "need" for 37s, except for the looks department.
Yeah, for now the PW won't see much off road time with limited access in Ohio and surrounding states. And the few places we do have are typically tight with trees. Considering the PW isn't a month old yet and my first new vehicle in 20yrs, I'm in no rush for tree pin striping.

I agree the JK on 35s gets it done and that the older Dana 44/ 30 setup is not nearly robust as the new JL axles. However, it seems like 37s are turning into the gate keeper size like 35s were for the last decade. Even some of the Jeep Jamborees we attend are requiring 37s to run the hardest trails we used to do. I'd love to swap out the JK for a JL, but there's something nice about the offroad toy being paid off and not being so painful to put a few bumps and scrapes on. Its also tough when the 35s are coming up for replacement on the jeep and its not that much more for 37s. Of course, "not that much more" doesn't include all the strength upgrades and axle re-gear cash that will need spent. Haha. Even then, still cheaper than starting over with a JL.

Kelsoff

Reaction score
Gears are available for 5th Gen Power Wagons. They use 4th gen axles. AEV upgrades to 5.13 when they modify Power Wagons to PXLs.
I was reading some conflicting information on another thread about this. I don’t know how to link to that thread unfortunately. There is guy on there who said he re-geared to 5.13 on his 2020. But he said something about the pinion being different, which another post on that thread also said. If that’s the case, I’m not sure a) where to get the gears and b) what to do about the pinion issue when you do. My local installer has been telling me they can’t find gears for about three years now.

n0arp

Reaction score
I was reading some conflicting information on another thread about this. I don’t know how to link to that thread unfortunately. There is guy on there who said he re-geared to 5.13 on his 2020. But he said something about the pinion being different, which another post on that thread also said. If that’s the case, I’m not sure a) where to get the gears and b) what to do about the pinion issue when you do. My local installer has been telling me they can’t find gears for about three years now.
I was just reading his thread and looking through his gallery to try and figure out details. Probably easiest just to reach out to him via direct message.

Kelsoff

Reaction score
I was just reading his thread and looking through his gallery to try and figure out details. Probably easiest just to reach out to him via direct message.
Yeah, I replied to his post just now, but since it’s over a year old, you’re idea is better! I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my truck to make it onto a train but was curious about the max tire I can put on the Rebel's 20" wheels without any/much modification?

Unlike many I like the look of the stock wheels just not the 20" size. I know the stock 285/60/20 are not technically low profile but hate the reduced sidewalls & was thinking about just swapping the wheels to 18s. But now I'm thinking that if I just wait until I need to replace the tires and go with either a 295/65/20 or a 325/60/20 I'll be happier without changing wheels that I already like.

I tried searching the forums for 2500 Rebel tires but found no results.

IPASooner

Reaction score
Man, I'm already wanting to jump to 37s on the jeep and tempted for the Powerwagon too. Did the 'small' 37s require any of the fender mods to avoid rubbing? Did you recalibrate for the bigger tires? Any noticeable power loss of different feeling?
The BFG KO2s are some of the smallest and lightest 37s out there so keep that in mind. That is the main reason I chose them. I think they are about 69lbs and there are other 37s that weigh 80lbs. Still I have noticed a slight difference in acceleration…the hemi seems to be recalibrating to figure out the new tires. Still pulls strong though and the 8 speed generally does great.

No trimming and no rubbing at full lock as of yet. Will be curious as I get on some trails if I do have any running while flexing, etc.

TrailWhale

Reaction score
Information from a Facebook group regarding gearing on the 2019+ PW. I cannot confirm any of it, only sharing what was posted…

313a17b4415ddacac34df67c6aeae37f.png

9107e420f5cab3e579549b2098411fab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertfox73

Reaction score
If you reach out to AEV, talk with someone in engineering, or Andrew Rumon (Sales). Someone there should be able to help.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my truck to make it onto a train but was curious about the max tire I can put on the Rebel's 20" wheels without any/much modification?

Unlike many I like the look of the stock wheels just not the 20" size. I know the stock 285/60/20 are not technically low profile but hate the reduced sidewalls & was thinking about just swapping the wheels to 18s. But now I'm thinking that if I just wait until I need to replace the tires and go with either a 295/65/20 or a 325/60/20 I'll be happier without changing wheels that I already like.

I tried searching the forums for 2500 Rebel tires but found no results.

There aren’t many Rebel owners here, but the safe bet with 4.5 Gen. HDs is that 35s should fit with no rubbing. Anything larger is likely to require some tweaking.

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
There aren’t many Rebel owners here, but the safe bet with 4.5 Gen. HDs is that 35s should fit with no rubbing. Anything larger is likely to require some tweaking.
I was thinking about directly messaging members listed as Rebel owners on the spreadsheet but figured this would be less intrusive.

Thanks for the reply

Kelsoff

Reaction score
Information from a Facebook group regarding gearing on the 2019+ PW. I cannot confirm any of it, only sharing what was posted…

313a17b4415ddacac34df67c6aeae37f.png

9107e420f5cab3e579549b2098411fab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey All, I can confirm that the Facebook post and parts list are correct. I just happen to live in North Austin and work just around the corner from Baldy's. They are one of the go-to Jeep shops in the area and are very supportive of the off-road community. They did the lift, shocks, wheels and tires on my 2019 PW. I saw this post the other day, but finally had time to go over there today to talk to them about it. I spoke with one of the sales guys and he said they have now re-geared two 5th gen PW's. I am having him price it out for me to go to 4.88. I'm also still having some rubbing issues on mine, even lifted 5.5", with 37x12.5 so I want them to do a little work to get rid of that. It seems like this is happening on the pinch weld behind the small mud shields at the bottom of the wheel well. I took the shields off...or should I say my tires did...and I still have a little rubbing left. Anyway, I have heard it from the horses mouth, so to speak, in case that helps confirm it for anyone else out there.

**UPDATE** Just got the quote back at just about $4,300 for the re-gear. I'm not going to jump on it right now, but FYI for anyone out there interested.

Kelsoff

Reaction score
Upgraded my tires this week from Milestar Patagonia 37x12.5R17 to Nitto Trail Grappler M/T in the same size. These Nitto look much meaner in person than they do in any of the pics I'd seen. I was leaning towards the Toyo M/T, but I actually like the look of the Nitto better. Also, these are the quietest and best handling mud terrain I've ever had. Granted, they are brand new. I was not a fan of the Patagonia's at all. Never again. They were loud, wore unevenly, couldn't balance, and to top it all off provided terrible traction in most off road situations....especially as they got worn in. Hopeful for better performance out of these. Also, the hub caps on the wheels had some bent machine bolts and they didn't want to strip the holes, so they left them off. I'm actually liking the look better without the big plastic center caps, not to mention the uselessness of those caps on the trail. But, I don't love the look of the wheel hub all rusted out, so I'll probably put them back on. They should really have been aluminum instead of plastic...

Attachments

• New Tires 1 (2).jpg
    New Tires 1 (2).jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 163
  • New Tires 2 (2).jpg
    New Tires 2 (2).jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 164

stickshifter

Reaction score
Gears are available for 5th Gen Power Wagons. They use 4th gen axles. AEV upgrades to 5.13 when they modify Power Wagons to PXLs.
So they do a full axle swap? That’s not “gears for a fifth gen” unless I misunderstand. Nothing has ever stopped anyone from swapping axles, other than time and money…

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So they do a full axle swap? That’s not “gears for a fifth gen” unless I misunderstand. Nothing has ever stopped anyone from swapping axles, other than time and money…
No, he’s saying the “5th gen” power wagon kept the “4th gen axles” they’re slightly different than the regular 2500 axles.

pyrorobert

Reaction score
I was hoping someone can give an insight on Black Rhino wheels. I am looking at buying some 17x9.5 Arsenals with a +12 offset. Do these work better than the -18 offset and how much rubbing do you experience? My PW has the stock suspension and stock wheels with 37" Toyo MT tires.
1bc60c9aa719281c102f9714e1599db5.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

TrailWhale

Reaction score
I was hoping someone can give an insight on Black Rhino wheels. I am looking at buying some 17x9.5 Arsenals with a +12 offset. Do these work better than the -18 offset and how much rubbing do you experience? My PW has the stock suspension and stock wheels with 37" Toyo MT tires.
1bc60c9aa719281c102f9714e1599db5.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
+12 will work well. You may still experience a slight rub but it should be less than you have now and much less than with the -18 offset.

Sharp truck!

Users who are viewing this thread